Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Chris Taylor

Contributor
VIA Old Limited Resources:

Huh, I'm impressed. Double Unsummon is a powerful swing, the trap cost really helps it being end of turned so you can alpha with mana up or to cast something sweet, and while I know the proper mana cost is really bad compared to like, Undo (which basically none of us run), but it's not so big that I could never see myself paying that.

Harrow
this card was left out of Battle for Zendikar for power reasons. People putting landfall in your cubes, remember this guy. It's Waaaaaaaay better than Natural Connection

Quest for the Gemblades
Poor topdeck, but it's permanent +4/+4 for {1}{G} at the cost of combat damage to a creature once. This thing makes blocking awkward, and if control decks are a bit more about wall of omens than swords to plowshares, this might be a bit more live than I initially thought.

Harrow is frickin' fantastic and I recommend it to everyone. It's one of the most universally-synergistic (an oxymoron I know, but it's NOT the same thing as generic) ramp spells in existence.

I also like Quest for the Gemblades, but Green spells are realllllllllllly tight for me. It's so hard to find something I wanna cut for it.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Harrow is frickin' fantastic and I recommend it to everyone. It's one of the most universally-synergistic (an oxymoron I know, but it's NOT the same thing as generic) ramp spells in existence.

I also like Quest for the Gemblades, but Green spells are realllllllllllly tight for me. It's so hard to find something I wanna cut for it.

I will say it's probably a trap, since it's got that browbeat feel that just makes me itch that a card is real bad, but it does look like less of a choice for your opponent than something like vexing devil ever did

I like double-unsummon as well. Waterwhirl was my favorite underrated card of khans limited.

Withdraw is a 'rhystic' option for double-unsummon. Upside is it's always 2 CC and is always unsummon- downside is obviously that it just doesn't always work. Playability is probably real dependent on how low-cc your lists end up being.

Yeah there're actually a pretty large amount of times you want to bounce your own creature. The card could be really good.
when I ran it I got to play the 1UUU line of 'okay, flash in snapcaster, blocks, withdraw snapcaster and your last attacker' a few times

it ruled

also speaking of counterspells somebody tell me not to or i swear to god i'll cube this piece of garbage:

i'm thinking it's like silumgar's scorn in that it's sweet when you have a big dude out and a dud otherwise but since 'big dude' in my environment is like 4 mana i think i need to try
(yes that is scornful egotist in the art)

That counterspell.. actually looks really fun. Easier to splash into, and it fits right into the decks that want to splash for it. And I love good conditional effects. Go for it and report back!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Setessan Tactics is lots of fun, but I've noticed that it is a difficult card for players to understand exactly what it does and when they first try to play it, they realize mid-sequence it doesn't quite work how they thought it does and it ruins there whole line of play. Once people wrap there head around it, they tend to like it.

Epic Confrontation doesn't have that problem and +2 toughness gets things done.

I like both.

Tactics has been my most popular green removal so far, though I haven't yet added the tree aura that's popular these days.

Regarding fight type cards, we need a super pushed version. I tried tactics and epic confrontation and didn't like either. There's just too many hoops to jump through. You need a dude, and it has to be able to kill something with just +1 power and it has to survive the encounter. It's a billion times easier to just splash any other color and grab removal that doesn't suck.

The closest fight card so far has been Dromoka's Command and that is only barely hanging on for me (and really because of the extra utility and it's an instant and it pitches to force and I desperately want a fight card to work).

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Setessan Tactics required too much setup for me; one of the best uses of a card like that is to remove a blocker and get in immediately I've been pleasantly surprised by Prey Upon though.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm gonna pile onto the bandwagon, and agree that even though I was all aboard the hype train, Setessan Tactics ended up being a disappointment. All of the fight cards are a little bit win-more: they require you to have a large creature on board, and that the creature you want to off happen to be small(er). But a lot of times, you just need to get something off the table, stat, and Tactics and its ilk end up being too narrow to get the job done, not unlike some combat tricks.