Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
If there's one thing green isn't lacking, it's meat. I usually like my green 3's to provide some utility / card advantage before the beefy 4's and 4's start dropping.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Man, with goyf and tracker in the mix, how big would a green 3 need to be before we'd pay attention?

I play Loxodon Smiter as essentially a vanilla {1}{G}{W} 4/4 beater, and he's done some good work in that role. The most important thing about Smiter for us is that he requires zero hoops to jump through; any three cmc vanilla animal (in any colour, really) needs to pretty big if it's coming with a bunch of stipulations attached before you can deploy it to the red zone.

If it's mostly fetch lands for Bloodbriar then it's just a poor man's Tireless Tracker.

By the by I'm realizing that Tracker is super pushed in cube but I'm not sick of it yet

Added it to my cube when it came out, it has consistently over-performed... and this is a cube with the likes of Rofellos and Mana drain in it...

There's something to be said for a splashable, growing beater that also smooths out your draws. Ramp decks especially sometimes have that 'dead turn' where you have more mana than you need, but not -quite- enough to cast that Atarka or Gen. Wave.

Drawing 2-4 cards during that turn ain't bad. Ain't bad at all...

CML

Contributor
Added it to my cube when it came out, it has consistently over-performed... and this is a cube with the likes of Rofellos and Mana drain in it...

There's something to be said for a splashable, growing beater that also smooths out your draws. Ramp decks especially sometimes have that 'dead turn' where you have more mana than you need, but not -quite- enough to cast that Atarka or Gen. Wave.

Drawing 2-4 cards during that turn ain't bad. Ain't bad at all...

It's just a really ridiculous card

In an effort to not side-track the CN2 spoilers thread into goblin chat, has anyone tried

The rate isn't insanely bad, she's very easy to play, and has high upside if you untap?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
In an effort to not side-track the CN2 spoilers thread into goblin chat, has anyone tried

The rate isn't insanely bad, she's very easy to play, and has high upside if you untap?

She's super fun as the commander of my mono green ramp/tokens/lifegain EDH deck :D

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I thought I disliked will of the council as a mechanic, but Council's Judgment offered a surprising deep play moment yesterday, when my opponent was on Relentless Dead + Carrion Feeder. Council's Judgment only exiles on resolution, without targeting, so he wasn't able to just sac the target to Carrion Feeder but had to sac the Relentless Dead in response, zombifying another Carrion Feeder, allowing me to exile the Feeder with a counter on it. Felt like a totally sweet play.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Could work, doesn't really support Domain, and also leads to potential, like, Turn 4 big Eldrazi. Not sure if that's desirable or not.

Could work, doesn't really support Domain, and also leads to potential, like, Turn 4 big Eldrazi. Not sure if that's desirable or not.
Nahiri would be a way to cheat in Eldrazi (ala Modern), but maybe it's dumb. It feels a little dumb.

Some level of "oops, i win" should go a long way in pleasing the mtgo crowd. Add all of these big play cards.

Crypto rite seems really cool. Think of the 540 version as eldrazi rainbow.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I hate to say this too, but how about:

Isn't that like super awesome with all these eldrazi spawn tokens?

I kinda like the scion tokens way better than the spawn tokens by the way. Pawn of Ulamog is awesome, and Growth Spasm and Nest Invader are both decent, but after that it gets progressively worse. It might not be aesthetically pleasing to use both tokens, but Eldrazi Skyspawner, Drowner of Hope and Catacomb Sifter are each more awesome than the rest of the spawn token cards combined, and they still evoke the Eldrazi part of your cube.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't that like super awesome with all these eldrazi spawn tokens?

I kinda like the scion tokens way better than the spawn tokens by the way. Pawn of Ulamog is awesome, and Growth Spasm and Nest Invader are both decent, but after that it gets progressively worse. It might not be aesthetically pleasing to use both tokens, but Eldrazi Skyspawner, Drowner of Hope and Catacomb Sifter are each more awesome than the rest of the spawn token cards combined, and they still evoke the Eldrazi part of your cube.

Hrrrrrng, I don't know what to doooo!