Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

For those of you who have this in your format (multiples?), how do you like it? How good is it for your mana fixing, and what fixing suite do you run along side it? Other nice synergies? What sort of decks (2, 3, 4+ color, aggro? midrange? control?) in your format want this?

For those of you who have this in your format (multiples?), how do you like it? How good is it for your mana fixing, and what fixing suite do you run along side it? Other nice synergies? What sort of decks (2, 3, 4+ color, aggro? midrange? control?) in your format want this?
I run one star and one sphere. They give drafters a decent place to fill out the early curve and help their splash, without being bomby. Helps most on a single splash like Sidisi in GB self-mill, for example. I also really like that they go to the graveyard on their own, which I'm trying to make my format care about more than some. I'd give them 3.5 chromatic stars out of 5.

Usually run in slightly slower decks over here, often that are splashing to 3C like above. Last time I saw one personally was in a 5C bring to light deck I drafted, to provide an emergency color in a pinch. I was greedy, and it was a tolerable slot to help me keep my variance down.

I'd say a couple is fine, if you want to try them out.

Goes nice with smokestack and braids, no?

I'm up to 3 Chromatic Star, 1 Terrarion. They're pretty fantastic, I think, offering a 1-shot dose of fixing, and cycling on the cheap. Given that they only cost {1} to play, it's absurdly good filler, because the activation cost immediately rewards you with mana and a card. A card that cycles for {1} at any time I please, that I can pre-pay for, no less, helps smooth games far better than I anticipated, with the fixing ability coming in handy and helping patch up a mana base pretty easily. Terrarion in particular is a card I look for intently if I pick up a Cruel Ultimatum. I see them run best in 3+ color decks of the control and midrange variety most often, though I've slotted them into aggro-style decks from time to time when my deck was feeling a bit loose.

Expedition Map is slow and not really worth it unless you have some super key piece to fetch up. Even then, a Map drawn past turn 3 is just so miserable. It shines more when the format is slower and you aren't punished for it (like in EDH).

Just stumbled onto this strangeness via Gatherer. Anybody played with it?

I haven't, but let's break this card down real quick.

A 5-mana sorcery is a big ask. Persecute is a very fun mass hand disruption tool that's typically too fair in anything but a slower cube, and it's {2}{B}{B}. So that's a big red mark on this card.

You also need your opponent to have more than 3 cards in their hand for this to do anything. Why? Because 1-mana targeted discard exists, as does 3-mana, discard-2-card tools. If we're looking to disrupt a strategy, making Villain discard 1 of 2 cards is typically fine, and that's a 1-mana investment, as is 2 of 2 cards as a 1, 2, or 3-mana investment.

This is a 5-mana sorcery. Assuming no ramp, that's a T5 play. By T5, to do anything worthwhile with this card, you need:
- The mana free to cast it (i.e., what is Villain doing T4/5 that you can take this turn off to cast a hand disruption effect?)
- Villain to have at least 3 cards in hand (this can be a big ask, depending on your format speed and card selection tools available)
- A deck built to maximize on this temporary hand-weakness (ideally some really aggressive deck)

Assuming we even care to cast it still at this point, what do we get out of this? Putting, say, 4 cards of Villain's on top of their deck and picking 4 cards out to replace them isn't going to pay off in the vast majority of cases. Assuming you're on the play, Villain is gonna draw a card next turn on their own T5, and is probably also on 3-4 lands themselves by this point. If you replace a hand of 1 land, 2 creatures, 1 planeswalker with a hand of 4 lands, then they are gonna be more likely to draw gas over the next few turns, as you've hugely decreased their odds of drawing lands by giving them so much land. You've also helped make their draws be plays more consistently, by bridging their gap from, say, 3 lands to 7 lands, so anything they draw over the next few turns is probably going to be live (and there's a lot of Magic Math articles out there about how hard it is to get to 6 mana by T6 consistently). You're stuck with the prospect of trying to pick the 4 worst cards for the situation to give to Villain, and you're going to probably only have 1 or 2 turns to really maximize on that. That's gonna be tricky, because a cube is a much stronger environ than, say, retail limited, and this is already assuming several best-case scenario factors in the caster's favour (1. you can cast this T5 and not lose the game for doing essentially nothing, 2. Villain has 3+ cards in-hand, 2.5 Villain's hand is actually a strong hand, 3. you have an aggressive deck 3.5 that can curve out to 5 in black consistently, 3.8 and can close the game in 1-2 turns upon resolving this spell); we thus end up with a win-more card that makes massive demands on both players to even begin to be truly "win-more".

So essentially, I'm saying that it looks kinda like garbage. It's a neat exploration of some design space, though I'm guessing we probably won't see anything like it that's playable; fateseal is an arguably "better" variant of this, and R&D doesn't like fateseal. For a similar feel, you could plant the tools for Lantern Control, which I ran in one of the very first playable versions of my cube, and found to be really fun, despite being a tad rough to plant in an environment organically.

Head Games was an absolute power house in control match ups. Kind of like Identity Crisis.

Plow Under is seriously undervalued :)

Has anyone played much with this? It seems like an awesome cube card and I'll be testing it at my next opportunity. There's a few things that make this a great include.

1) Standard formats of days past have amply shown that Hydra has a sufficiently high power level to succeed in most of our cube environments. It provides a 2-for-1 in an interesting conditional manner (more on that later). It often also generates a mana advantage, like when you spend six and get a 4/4 and a 4-drop. Genesis Hydra will be drafted and played, should you add it to your cube. And it won't be too powerful, since its power level scales with your environment.

2) Genesis Hydra provides for interesting interactions in-game. Everyone loves value creatures. In all their many forms, they provide interesting spell-like effects on a body, or simply draw cards while also advancing combat. Genesis Hydra does these things, but in a peculiar way. People love when they find a value creature that breaks the boring ETB mold, and Hydra is one creature that helps you generate value but doesn't cause problems with ETB shenanigans like recursion and flicker effects but does interact in interesting ways with both recruiters as well as bounce effects.

3) Genesis Hydra makes for interesting deck building decisions. Should I lower my curve so it hits more often? Should I plan to clump up my curve at a certain number to help facilitate the Hydra? By caring about low CMC it also combines in interesting ways with other cards that count CMC.

4) Genesis Hydra provides glue for synergy decks. It goes into synergy decks as a potent tutor card. It gets you your Cranial Plating or your Eidolon of Blossoms when you need it, and so it can help to increase the apparent density of relevant cards or card types. It also gets the Pia Nalaar you wanted to go with the Inventor's Fair you've had in play awhile. Genesis Hydra increases density in the draft and in the games, so it provides the glue you need between your synergistic archetypes, and the glue for inside those decks.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
People have ran it here. The complaint was, as I remember, that the body doesn't have any evasion on it, so you're always getting a below the curve creature. Its highly dependent on the quality of the threat you can triggered ability into it. Serviceable, but didn't meet expectations for a curve topper in green, which you kind of want to be ending games.

fwiw I like the card, even if it doesn't live up to expectations.

I ran the hydra for a while, and it was decent generic value. I eventually cut it, tho, when I realized that the card that finds cool cards could be a cool card. Think I swapped in something like Titania.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
For one mana more you get to cast all targets (plus lands) in the top X cards, though you don't get a generic, non-evasive body with your spells.

Also, by far the cooles sibling of the bunch is of course...