Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Is this card just bad or could it be playable if you had the right environment? I was thinking some kind of vague equipment theme in white that would make this card incidentally better.

That’s exactly what I use him for.

He is, like Grisel, quite game-ending but he’s far more interesting because tutoring makes for better cube experiences (if you ask me) and he doesn’t have lifelink so he doesn’t protect you as well as Grisel.

Me too, that's a really spicy meat ball. I like the proposition of getting a ton of value but none of it just for free. How good is this in reanimator?

I guess like all other reanimator questions it depends on which reanimator cards you use and how fast they can complete their quest of bringing a bomb to the battlefield. And of course it also depends on the general state of the remaining cards in your cube. Example: In a non-powered and slow cube your reanimator cards can be slower and still succeed.

Has anyone had any experience with this card? I'm liking the potential it could bring to the RW tokens deck, and maybe WB too. Is it too low impact with only 1/1 bodies? The free spell in white seems strong though...

Has anyone had any experience with this card? I'm liking the potential it could bring to the RW tokens deck, and maybe WB too. Is it too low impact with only 1/1 bodies? The free spell in white seems strong though...

I like it. Seems adequately powered (compare it to Captain's Call which costs only marginally less (same CMC, 1 less devotion) but creates the same number of bodies but also has the 'play another spell for free' rider), and synergistic with artifacts matters, spells matter (lets you play two spells and also creates bodies), sacrifice, and "go wide" themes. Seems like a prime card for a riptide cube.

I have had good luck with it. I worried a little it'd be overbearing, but I've been happy with it so far. Your take on it is basically correct. Can fit into a more aggressive deck as a repeatable source of board presence into the later game, and also works in more midrangey decks.

I've never seen this card before but it looks cool. Threshold can't be that hard to achieve in a cube with dredge and madness effects, right? The payoff seems pretty powerful.

I've never seen this card before but it looks cool. Threshold can't be that hard to achieve in a cube with dredge and madness effects, right? The payoff seems pretty powerful.
It's a powerful card, but what deck is it looking to go in? Neither dredge nor madness seem particularly GW, so is it always a splashed card?

Also entirely feast/famine, which can be feel bad. Stuck on 6 cards in the yard? SOL.

Grizzly fate seems much more universally runnable as a threshhold card, for instance, because it's monocolor in a color with dredge, grave pulses, etc.

It's a powerful card, but what deck is it looking to go in? Neither dredge nor madness seem particularly GW, so is it always a splashed card?

Also entirely feast/famine, which can be feel bad. Stuck on 6 cards in the yard? SOL.

Grizzly fate seems much more universally runnable as a threshhold card, for instance, because it's monocolor in a color with dredge, grave pulses, etc.

Green is very much a control color in my cube. This has left me struggling with my Selesnya and Gruul sections because their traditional roles, little kid aggro and giant monster beats respectively, don't really fit with what I've been trying to do with the rest of the green section. So I've been trying to look at the gold cards as a way to communicate that idea. I want to take inspiration from SOI's green/white delirium deck in limited. G/W is a graveyard focused lock deck that tries to grind you out with incremental value. White's token makers that are there for the Jeskai spells matter decks and the Boros and Orzhov token aggro decks instead become stalling tools that can gain value with stuff like Glare of Subdual. I agree that there is quite a bit of work to achieve the effect, but maybe that's okay given how powerful it is.

I'm all in for a Threshold theme, but this card seems like impossible to make work in the cube format. My favorite Threshold cards for cube are Grizzly Fate and Werebear, because they are decent when you have a small yard. Also, the new Search for Azcanta has basically Threshold and is very cubeable.

Obviously, a dredge/threshold theme where you discard/mill yoursrlf for value can go further. I support that strategy heavily in BUG as it is one of my if not my favorite play style.

Green is very much a control color in my cube. This has left me struggling with my Selesnya and Gruul sections because their traditional roles, little kid aggro and giant monster beats respectively, don't really fit with what I've been trying to do with the rest of the green section. So I've been trying to look at the gold cards as a way to communicate that idea. I want to take inspiration from SOI's green/white delirium deck in limited. G/W is a graveyard focused lock deck that tries to grind you out with incremental value. White's token makers that are there for the Jeskai spells matter decks and the Boros and Orzhov token aggro decks instead become stalling tools that can gain value with stuff like Glare of Subdual. I agree that there is quite a bit of work to achieve the effect, but maybe that's okay given how powerful it is.
That sounds like a solid deck plan, but it doesn't sound very much like Hunting Grounds would want to be in it. I could totally be wrong with that, and I'm sure there are decklists like described where it works. I think I'd rather have Selesnya Charm in the deck described. Removal, token body, and instant that goes to the yard for recycling and reusing.

I just don't see {G}{W} doing the graveyard plan better than {G}{B} or {G}{U}, or even {G}{R}.

Now, to be clear, I'm all in favor of packing white with cards that are relevant from, or make use of, the graveyard - I think it's a prime nexus through which white can gain access to some much-needed card quality mechanisms, as it's the color most readily stuck in topdeck mode.

The problem, though, is that white doesn't offer a full enough range of playables for the "graveyard" deck; most of its cards that make use of or are played from the graveyard are looking to capitalize on being played again, not be dumped into the yard for a greater value than their first playing. For example, Embalm and Eternalize are great roleplayers for a recursive midrange deck, cemented with tools like Bishop of Rebirth, Resurrection, or Remember the Fallen, but if you're trying to stretch past a recursive midrange deck into one that's "controlling" or even interested in self-mill, delirium, or threshold, I think you're going to need to significantly crater your power level. After all, black, red, and blue all have powerful and playable control cards with flashback that might justify pairing with green for some meat and self-mill, whereas white offers virtually nothing attractive. That leaves us looking to threshold and delirium for our {W}{G} graveyard control shenanigans.

So what about threshold? Well, the (imo) two really exciting threshold cards in white are Kirtar's Wrath and Divine Sacrament, neither of which really belong in the same deck, and throwing in Hunting Grounds, which goes live no sooner than T4 under a best-case scenario, seems like a seriously underwhelming game plan in any format featuring Planeswalkers, or, for that matter, ready access to mana dorks, who could execute a similar plan to Hunting Grounds in a more reliable, enjoyable, and intuitive fashion.

And delirium? You have... Descend Upon the Sinful and Angel of Deliverance for control, both of which are extremely sensitive to the format, the former easily becoming a generic sweeper or a draft trap with so little else actually caring about delirium and the last begging to be blown out in any non-Dragon format.

I heartily endorse adding in as much of a graveyard-value package in white as you can - I do so myself - but I have strong doubts that it can be fashioned into anything resembling "control" or anything that truly wants to waste time or deckspace trying to build towards threshold or delirium, since there is a dearth of exciting playables in white for either, and the green ones are most likely to be poached by all the other pairs in any format where green already operates with the graveyard. If you're looking to heavily colorshift your environment, of course, that's another discussion entirely, and will take considerably more effort.