Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Chris Taylor

Contributor
In my mind it ought to be at a similar power-level to Memory Lapse. It takes 2 turns longer for the spell to come back (though at no cost), and the situation could have changed enough in that time to make it far less effective or even useless. Imagine countering a ramp spell, Standstill, wrath, any x-spell, Tragic Slip, or even another counterspell.

So...negate...

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
In my mind it ought to be at a similar power-level to Memory Lapse. It takes 2 turns longer for the spell to come back (though at no cost), and the situation could have changed enough in that time to make it far less effective or even useless. Imagine countering a ramp spell, Standstill, wrath, any x-spell, Tragic Slip, or even another counterspell.

The key with Memory Lapse is that you're denying them a draw step, though, which isn't the case with Delay. There are the edge cases, where Delay does a number on cards like Red Sun's Zenith or Sphinx's Revelation, but aside from that I agree that it's generally too weak for cube, having tried it on a few occasions.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Though I'd rather be able to delay a creature than not do anything at all.

Eh, yeah I suppose it's not good enough.

Generally I prefer to run the generic counters over the target specific ones just so the card is good in more situations, but the reason I bring this up is because delay seems narrower in scope of good-ness than negate does

Negate sucks in my cube. I don't run any walkers and at this point I've cut the vast majority of the broken non-creature spells.

I recently cut a couple counters, so I'm not even running Memory Lapse anymore (though I agree it's much better than Delay because your opponent loses a draw).

At instant it's even meaner to auras. I think really efficient bounce is best as a sorcery, because then people who like big sexy enchanted creatures get to swing once with 'em.

Do folks typically run cubes at a level where auras don't even rate? Go planeswalker or go home?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I acquired one recently, and I'm already having doubts about its playability. To be fair though, I have never played it. It looks so painful, can it be good in cube?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Confidant is bad in typical Cubes because they don't explicitly support black aggro, so it ends up as an occasional splash card in red aggro and that's it. There's no reason that has to be true for your Cube.

I like Temporal Spring! It's a solid tempo card without the feel-bad of having one of you two lands permanently nuked.

Tuktuk is great but for the love of God use the old border.

Soul of Innistrad is great as a flashbackable Death Denied, but idk how often you actually can/want to cast the front side of it.

Super bums me out when people don't support black aggro (although I can see why there wouldn't be space). Confidant is great! Blood soaked champion into confidant into xahtrid necromancer. Smash smash smash.

the only time temporal spring was playable when i had it in hand against a control player where i curved -> manadork -> spring your land on turn 2 -> into turn 4 acidic slime, turn 5 primal command tutoring for an eternal witness + play another mana dork opponent conceded

i took it out after that draft because it was never good outside of the one situation where someone basically didn't get to play, and i had had it in for like 3 months before that

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Supporting "black aggro" sucks if it means playing carnophage/sarcomancy/lacerator. Those cards are just crap. Confidant is still good, though, in any low curve deck that has black. Pridemate decks love it, r/b aggro loves it, b/u disruptive aggro loves it and its a card that makes you want to splash black in u/w aggro.