Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I like storm in peasantish cube. It's just a fun mechanic if you aren't being nuts. Works great with madness, aggro drops (BTE), spells matter etc. Storm has lots of reasonably cool spells that aren't time spiral, but I've certainly lost in cube to memory jar activations and spirals in mostly fair decks that just got to make nutty turns.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else running this guy?

I've seen gamestates in my cube where Brainstorm was used as a combat trick and to push through the last points of combat damage. It was awesome. And if you draft a Goblin Bombardment, you can sac the babies for often an extra 3-4 damage assuming he lives long enough. So fun.

My latest list had him. And also, like, 6 copies of Brainstorm.

Laz

Developer
I still don't know how to evaluate Manifest. Can someone with more experience with FRF limited guide me?

CML

Contributor
I still don't know how to evaluate Manifest. Can someone with more experience with FRF limited guide me?

when they have it, it is a 2/2, except when you need to block or something, in which case they blow you out

when you have it, it is a 2/2 they will block and you will be sending a nice swamp to the bin

edit: alternatively, you will consider sending it in, realize they'll block with their 2/3, think better of it, then try the same thing three turns later when you've forgotten about it and have it get eaten then

Laz

Developer
Ah, so there was this great 'Morphs will trade at worst for less than 5 mana' rule, which made the amount of hidden information you had to worry about completely palatable, now it is 'anything could kill you at any time if they have mana open'.

Needlessly cynical, but I am not sure how throwing a design tenet out the window is good. Maybe it is all about 'progression through a set turning mechanics on their head'.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member

I really liked Write into Being. Every time I cast it at the prerelease I saw a creature on top and got value out of the scry. I think it's a great card! Your opponent has to assume you hit a creature every time, which makes it a little less swingy.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't think they're worth running. Being able to hit a creature with Write into Being almost every time is amazing. I wouldn't pay WW1 for a flying lifelink 2/2 or UU1 for the other one. Not in cube anyway.

Possibly. Nighthawk has a lot on that card, and black needs it more than white does, but depending on brainstorm density they could be good.
I feel like I'd want the forms more because the miss mode is less embarassing though

The Johnny in me wants to use manifest to get stuff I want into my yard (fat monsters for reanimator, Haakon, Genesis).

But I'm pretty sure a deck built around this idea would suck really bad and lose a lot of games (so pretty much just more of what I tend to build during drafts).

I don't think they're worth running. Being able to hit a creature with Write into Being almost every time is amazing. I wouldn't pay WW1 for a flying lifelink 2/2 or UU1 for the other one. Not in cube anyway.

Manifest still seems hard to grok. I had two write into beings in my sideboard at the pre release, because I didn't rate them, but if James is feeling the love they're worth thinking about more. They're more than just grey ogres with scry as you are much more likely to hit a creature. I guess like everything depends what's in the rest of your cube, and unlikely to be played in full power heavy cube.

Works with:

Morph themes/sub themes
Getting cards from library into gy (genesis, flashback) etc
Trigger prowess/ spells matter cards
Runechanters pike
Gives a creature as well as gy fodder for delve/threshold

Anything else?