Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Wow, I was only a few days away.
From how I see it Seraphs ability isn‘t a cloning effect. People are right that usually something like Glasspool Mimic might work with an ability like Spines. But from how I read the Seraph it isn’t a cloning effect, so the text box will still refer to a card called Spine and not the Seraph itself.
But I might be in the wrong here. It is an Un-card after all.

Can you look up where you found those rules to confirm for us?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
From the official rules stating that the Seraph just gets the textbox.
https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=439395
I believe we can infer from those official rulings that your reading is not correct, specifically by extrapolating from the final rule:

"If Do-It-Yourself Seraph has abilities that contradict one another, the most recently added one wins. For example, if Do-It-Yourself Seraph has the text boxes of both Beast of Burden (power and toughness equal to the number of creatures on the battlefield) and Psychosis Crawler (power and toughness equal to the number of cards in your hand). Do-It-Yourself Seraph’s power and toughness would be defined by the text box added most recently."

Both cards set their power and toughness with an ability that uses their respective card names, yet this ruling states that Do-It-Yourself Seraph’s power and toughness are in fact defined by whichever of those two text boxes was added most recently.

I agree it would have been clearer if they had spelled this out in an official ruling, since the card does copy stuff in a way that is different from how abilities are usually copied (for the sake of it, obviously, because it's an un-card).

Late to the party, but Scion of Draco can work with DIY Seraph.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried running this card? It seems like a decent candidate for 5C-enabler/fair reanimation target/slightly underpowered-yet-colorless-and-therefore-less-parasitic top end for 4C decks.

Last edited:
Late to the party, but Scion of Draco can work with DIY Serpah.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried running this card? It seems like a decent candidate for 5C-enabler/fair reanimation target/slightly underpowered-yet-colorless-and-therefore-less-parasitic top end for 4C decks.
https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/eldrazi-domain-cube.12/

Jason doesn't run it in his domain cube as far as I can see, so I'm a little wary of it's potential if it's not included in a namesake environment.

brainstorming type folks have said good things about it, so if you’ve got the dual-typed fixing density like that model of cube, it should perform for you.
i don’t run it because i just don’t feel like it (WHAT THE TEXT?!?) but i’m sure it would kick butt in my cube, there’s a 4 color aggro deck in every draft

I want it to be good. I want it so badly.

So far it feels slow it costs 2 mana and a card and it doesn’t really give anything back. Not until you hit the ult/last chapter if we’re using Planeswalker/Saga buzz words. What exactly do we call the Class stages?

so here’s why i think Monk class is bad.
Level 1: you get NOTHING until the third time you double spell, at which point the card paid for itself plus 1 mana.
Level 2: a “fine” bounce spell, except it can only be activated on your turn, which is typically (not necessarily) much less than ideal for the timing of a bounce spell. and when i say it’s “fine” i am assuming you’ve already let the card “pay for itself” as discussed in Level 1.
Level 3: so now, after putting down SEVEN mana, we have a draw engine that allows us to cast spells, NOT PLAY LANDS, from the top of library, IF we’ve already cast a spell this turn. which does not save us from top deck mode.

EDIT: and note that NONE of the above affected the board AT ALL except the bounce spell, which only bounced 1 thing.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I mean, Future Sight is a card that doesn't affect the board at all, period, and that card can be pretty bomby in the right environment. The fact that Monk Class does affect the board is pretty relevant, and the first ability is very synergistic with the third ability. As long as your cube isn't cutthroat fast, and you have the time to develop these grindy card advantage engines, this is going to be pretty decent, I think.

I mean, Future Sight is a card that doesn't affect the board at all, period, and that card can be pretty bomby in the right environment. The fact that Monk Class does affect the board is pretty relevant, and the first ability is very synergistic with the third ability. As long as your cube isn't cutthroat fast, and you have the time to develop these grindy card advantage engines, this is going to be pretty decent, I think.
I think Blacksmithy is right.

Your comparison was useful for me to agree with Backsmithy, though. It made me think of how different Future Sight is to Monk Class. Monk Class can draw you an extra card per turn assuming you've already played a spell and you didn't hit a land. In other words, after using it whole, you draw 1 more card per turn 60% of the time.

Given how underwhelming the first two abilities are, I don't think that payoff is enough.

Future Sight, on the other hand, is extremely potent in play. It's not just one card, it allows you to play as many cards from the top as you like. Which, in practical terms, is as many cards you can cast before hitting two lands. Every fetchland, Sensei Divining Top and filtering spell lets you draw even more. It's completely open-ended, not limited to one non-land card per turn.

I just wanted a good Azorius card that didn't cost three mana :(

Every fetchland, Sensei Divining Top and filtering spell lets you draw even more. It's completely open-ended, not limited to one non-land card per turn.

I just read this. Appearently I missed it before.

If you have Future Sight and Sensei, you won’t spend any mana on filtering :p

{1}: Draw a card

Everyone might know about this combo but here is in case you’ve missed it.

I was also on the Monk Class hype train when it dropped, but I'm doubtful it's going to hold up. I'm still waiting to see it in action before I cut it, but it seems like a case of the card giving marginal bonuses in too many scenarios. It's a strong candidate for editing at some point, because I think the concept is really neat. If the final ability just cost {W}{U} and said "play" instead of "cast," I think it would be totally fine, and it's not like anyone has played with this card enough to be thrown by the change.
:texas:

To be fair, I think the best way to play this card is in a deck with a crapton of MV 1 cantrips and instants, likely in a Prowess shell. Casting Brainstorm or even Defiant Strike for free every turn cycle seems like big game. The trouble is that if you're running all these cantrips you likely have something stronger to be digging for.

Last edited:
I was also on the Monk Class hype train when it dropped, but I'm doubtful it's going to hold up. I'm still waiting to see it in action before I cut it, but it seems like a case of the card giving marginal bonuses in too many scenarios. It's a strong candidate for editing at some point, because I think the concept is really neat. If the final ability just cost {W}{U} and said "play" instead of "cast," I think it would be totally fine, and it's not like anyone has played with this card enough to be thrown by the change.
:texas:

To be fair, I think the best way to play this card is in a deck with a crapton of MV 1 cantrips and instants, likely in a Prowess shell. Casting Brainstorm or even Defiant Strike for free every turn cycle seems like big game. The trouble is that if you're running all these cantrips you likely have something stronger to be digging for.
The monk class only reduces 1 colorless, so one could not have enough blue mana even though the second spell can be cast cheaper.

I feel like, if you're looking at a gold class that encourages a spell deck...

---

If you're looking for an Azorius card that encourages spell decks, why not

?

Play a control-y game until you can drop Noyan, then jank 'em out with a flood of 3/3 lands.