Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Ok, question for Inscho and others that run Wonder. Isn't it uninteractive? It seems like you dump it in your graveyard and your opponent can't ever block again. You cannot kill it and graveyard remove is rare.

Reactions: dbs
Ok, question for Inscho and others that run Wonder. Isn't it uninteractive? It seems like you dump it in your graveyard and your opponent can't ever block again. You cannot kill it and graveyard remove is rare.

Yeah, the point of it is that it's not interactive. It's a cool payoff for the aggressive self-mill decks. I think that makes it a bit too narrow, and I prefer my payoffs to have a bit more counter-play available for opponents, but if I sat down to draft a cube and saw Wonder, I'd know I'd be in for a fun draft.

I run Wonder. Maybe it reduces interaction but you can still block with flying/reach creatures, still use targeted/mass removal, and there are a handful of cards to interact with the graveyard. On the other hand, over a third of my blue creatures already have flying, so there Is some work to be done both to get it in the graveyard and have creatures worth sending into the air. I have found the payoff to be reasonable for the demands on the drafter.

The amount of graveyard removal is your choice. Sadly the black and green one are comparatively weak. I suggest more creatures which accidentally remove cards from the graveyard and more cards like wonder. It is a challenge to get it into the yard, it gives a nice bonus, and can provide great counter play.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Do any of the other Incarnations (other than Genesis) ever see inclusion in people's cubes?
The MH2 Incarnations see a bunch of play (Solitude, Grief, etc.), and I imagine Anger is still in the mix in some configurations as well. Red has discard outlets, and team haste is a strong effect! Glory can be a real game changer, and white has gotten some very decent discard outlets in the past few years. If you're okay with semi-permanent protection, it might be a consideration nowadays, though I have to say {2}{W} is a steep cost in today's curve.

The MH2 Incarnations see a bunch of play (Solitude, Grief, etc.), and I imagine Anger is still in the mix in some configurations as well. Red has discard outlets, and team haste is a strong effect! Glory can be a real game changer, and white has gotten some very decent discard outlets in the past few years. If you're okay with semi-permanent protection, it might be a consideration nowadays, though I have to say {2}{W} is a steep cost in today's curve.
How are the new incarnations comparable to the old except for their type? One does something for the grave, the other has evoke?

How are the new incarnations comparable to the old except for their type? One does something for the grave, the other has evoke?
They're not, for the most part. Incarnation is just a subtype they give to elementals that are "incarnations of a concept". Onslaught first started with Valor and his bros, Lorwyn continued with Purity etc, and MH2 had the third go-around with Solitude and such.

Any experience with how does this card play? I want to include a saga for each color (because they are cool) and this seemed like the more interesting one for the themes red has in my cube.

My drafters were allergic to it :(

I love the card but if no one drafts it/includes it in their 40, it's not worth keeping a novel and powerful card like that, even if it's a solid finisher for Rx aggressive decks.

My drafters were allergic to it :(

I love the card but if no one drafts it/includes it in their 40, it's not worth keeping a novel and powerful card like that, even if it's a solid finisher for Rx aggressive decks.
Same here.
I still test it every now and then. People seem to avoid it. But it's always good when it resolves.

I am looking for more Green discard outlets to enhance discard payoff cards: Currency Converter and Containment Construct.

Does anyone have any experience (cube or other) with:

Nostalgic Dreams is kinda good but slow and plays well with something like Life From the Loam. It's very much a late game card that doesn't affect the board, so be aware of that. However I don't think it synergizes too well with Containment Construct and friends as it just gives you more of the same (returning ~3 cards while also wanting to play 0-3 cards you just discarded makes it really awkward.

Shigeki is good, he acts as glue for a lot of different stuff and can play as exceedingly fair ramp. Note that you can use the first ability to save him during blocks--there's no "only as a sorcery" clause.

I'm also not seeing how Shigeki is a discard outlet — it's 100% a discard/self-mill payoff, though.
I guess I was envisioning it late game: discarding it to regrow something and cast Shigeki again to set up an engine of sorts. Typing it out makes me realize how slow this is though :p

However I don't think it synergizes too well with Containment Construct and friends as it just gives you more of the same (returning ~3 cards while also wanting to play 0-3 cards you just discarded makes it really awkward.
Probably true. I was eyeing it as a replacement for Regrowth that could boost some synergies. However, I think it could do work in decks like the following that want to assemble a critical mass of cards and mana (or in a GW lands control deck with Loam like you mentioned).

You could use Dreams to trigger Rielle and get a ton of cards. You could get back key pieces that were destroyed or discarded to Wheels. You can even discard for value with the likes of Echo of Eons.

I think it has potential, but is the narrowness worth it over Bala Ged Recovery or Regrowth?