Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

In addition to what’s already been mentioned:

and it’s fun to tutor in your opponents end step with

In play via Crop Rotation or Elvish Reclaimer…nets you 3 dudes.

I'm going to loop these two together because they are quite similar

I am thinking about these cards adjacent to Delve threats. You won't deploy them on turn 1 or 2, but maybe you double-spell on turn 4 or 5 adding a huge body for cheap. My cube has double fetch + double shock to help lower life totals.

What are people's thoughts on this specific package to help?

Skrelv is a mess of a card, but it kind of does cool things? A lesser Mother of Runes variant can still be powerful. But the Toxic, the fact it can't block are probably too many strikes against it :/

This would be alongside some classic Black life loss cards already in the cube

What other cards would you like to see alongside these two threats to make them more consistently huge?

That's a very broad question. What do you need the card to do besides losing life? How much life are you typically on when playing black on the turn you would like to play one of the shadow cards?

Last edited:
That's a very broad question. What do you need the card to do besides losing life? How much life are you typically on when playing black on the turn you would like to play one of the shadow cards?
I like broad questions, because people can interpret them differently and I get to see a wide range of suggestions.
I am looking for generically playable cards that lowers your life total. As Miles said, your Fire Covenant suggestion is a perfect example, thanks.
Just like Delve threats (Gurmag Angler, Tasigur, the Golden Fang), I’d be looking for a one/two mana 4/4 or 5/5 on turn 4 or later.

I'm noticing that the one color you're avoiding is red...
Not on purpose! Just not super stoked by the offerings. Though your Wheel of
Misfortune is very tempting, thanks!

Thank
I like broad questions, because people can interpret them differently and I get to see a wide range of suggestions.
I am looking for generically playable cards that lowers your life total. As Miles said, your Fire Covenant suggestion is a perfect example, thanks.
Just like Delve threats (Gurmag Angler, Tasigur, the Golden Fang), I’d be looking for a one/two mana 4/4 or 5/5 on turn 4 or later.

Not on purpose! Just not super stoked by the offerings. Though your Wheel of
Misfortune is very tempting, thanks!
Thank you for the explanation!

Or maybe you could look at https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&page=2&q=(o:pay+or+o:"you+lose")+o:life&unique=cards

For a GW top-end card in my 720 list, I'm currently running Ghalta and Mavren, which is a very fun Timmy card. I just found out Torsten, Founder of Benalia exists, and it seems like it's probably better? Ghalta and Mavren still passes the Vindicate test as long as you have another creature to attack with and has a sillier ceiling, but there's something about the double safety-valve of Torsten. What do you all think?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
At the very least Torsten is less of a removal check. It gives a lot of immediate value, but it can be chump-blocked forever. If you let someone untap with Ghalta and Mavren, you're staring down at least 24/24 worth of trampling stats on the next turn which you'ld imagine is going to be very lethal and not particularly fun to be on the receiving end of. Personally I expect Torsten to be a more fun experience.

At the very least Torsten is less of a removal check. It gives a lot of immediate value, but it can be chump-blocked forever. If you let someone untap with Ghalta and Mavren, you're staring down at least 24/24 worth of trampling stats on the next turn which you'ld imagine is going to be very lethal and not particularly fun to be on the receiving end of. Personally I expect Torsten to be a more fun experience.
It says other attacking, so no, not 24 power the next turn.
Suppose you have a 4/3, and cast ghalta, then you get a 4/4 when you attack with the other creature.
I am in camp ghalta. Torsten has a huge etb effect, and killing leaves a lot of bodies behind. Torsten can be chump blocked all day, true, but drawing a bunch of cards is already worth it. Ghalta also likely creates a creature on its first turn.

I do not like big creatures that do not need to survive to give a lot of value, but that's me. why not:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It says other attacking, so no, not 24 power the next turn.
Suppose you have a 4/3, and cast ghalta, then you get a 4/4 when you attack with the other creature.
I am in camp ghalta. Torsten has a huge etb effect, and killing leaves a lot of bodies behind. Torsten can be chump blocked all day, true, but drawing a bunch of cards is already worth it. Ghalta also likely creates a creature on its first turn.

I do not like big creatures that do not need to survive to give a lot of value, but that's me. why not:
Whoops! I completely missed the "other" part o_O I still think 12/12 + X/X trample is more stats than I'm comfortable with at seven mana, but it's not as bad as I thought. Still prefer Torsten from those two though. If we are looking at other options, here's a few I like better than Autotochton Wurm and Novablast Wurm for {G/W} top end though.

Huh. Galta and Mavren is actually the top Selesny creature pick on CubeCobra at the moment!