Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Actually I do see a negative tone here: People won't stop bashing MTGS. I've said it a lot, but cut it out, dudes. "I was looking for some terrible design i saw on MTGS (sic)", cmon we don't need stuff like that. Post good designs.
woah woah woah

that wasn't a rag on mtgs's designs specifically, its just where i saw the design ok. and i couldn't find it :(

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Well it's not just the Custom cards (obviously :p) since I think that's the second one I've seen.

James is probably referring more to individual ideas that get bandied about

also personally i think ashiok is boring, not particularly fun, and if they print another damn UB card with bad mill on it im going to flip the table

I'm partial to Pyromaster myself.

Firebrand is too splashable, and contributes to the uninteresting "Planeswalker decks" that show up in cube. Nalaar is fine, but doesn't really open up any interesting deck design space. Ablaze isn't efficient enough to be playable in most decks.

pyromaster is good shit she enables everything. control, combo, midrange, and aggro. i guess tempo doesn't really want her but oh what the hell. red card draw yes please

i love that card so much

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Nalaar is cool but costs 5 (5 is the new 4), I don't *like* Pyromaster but I understand that it's good, and Firebrand is just bonkers if your Cube has any half-decent spells in it.

I used to run Nalaar, but I wasn't a big fan because the mana cost didn't justify the power-level of her first two abilities, IMO.

When Firebrand came out, I had every intention of running her once her price tag got past the price inflation from the standard format. However, by that time I had acquire a copy of Pyromaster, so I just used that instead.

All that aside, Koth is the best Chandra.

FWIW I used to run 5cmc Chandra in standard because it killed Baneslayer and still survived. Plus kills a Titan

Anybody use this thing? I like the flexibility of utility bears. Sometimes he's a Demystify, sometimes early defense, sometimes a little early pressure, sometimes a dude for Overrun, and sometimes he's a puzzle for somebody with a Sulfuric Vortex in hand. Never great, often handy.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Firebrand is the one with the most play to it (in my experience), and is also the only Chandra I've ever seen in a Vintage list.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I only run Chandra, the Firebrand. She's fun, easy to cast, and not oppressive. Her value is very much dependent on your deck, and that's what I look for in a card. I'm gunna be scared if my opponent -2's her, but it's going to be exciting too.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Ok guys, has anyone ever cast this spell?

Because I want to and I've wanted to my whole life. Before I played magic, even.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Back in the day I saw this beauty of a card:

Hitsegu's Dice {2}{R}{R}
Sorcery
Split Second
~ deals 4 damage to target creature or player. If a player dealt damage this way is at exactly 7 or 11 life, they lose the game instead.

I actually like keening ronom of ancient law more than war priest of thune since he beats down before killing something.

VibeBox

Contributor
Ok guys, has anyone ever cast this spell?

yes, and it's every bit as fun as you hope.
in my cube we run wishes with a box full of "wish targets" including second rite. it leaves open the vague possibility of death or cunning for rite anytime opponent is on 10. love the shit out of it

We should run a workshop on which functional reprints to run. For the record, Dom won this round.
no way, kamigawa supremacy!

What do people think of running:

(Or whichever you like if you break singleton). I read somebody talk about jamming them in their 720ish cube because they didn't like mana screw. Feels like it would help everything bar aggro. Would be good in the gold cube.