Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Dom Harvey

Contributor

Everything costs 3/4, yes, but this one seems kind of sweet even if you're not giving it any explicit support?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm already testing this one. It might not make the cut in the long run, but white could use some interesting spells that aren't just dudes, anthems, and removal.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
While I love the memory lapse, Control Magic already got the boost from C13:

35.jpg

Prohibit seems bad though

Reactions: Tom

FlowerSunRain

Contributor

Everything costs 3/4, yes, but this one seems kind of sweet even if you're not giving it any explicit support?
I might not be the best advice on this, because I give this card explicit support, but when he got played he gave +5/+5 no problem and if the creature he was on would have died, it would have been a 3/3. The deck it was in had bonds of faith and temporal isolation, which was key. I'm not sure he'd be great without a lot of those cards running around, but with them he just gets to hugeness pretty easily.

when he got played he gave +5/+5 no problem and if the creature he was on would have died, it would have been a 3/3.
How does that work? Without his target he only loses a single tick of +1/+1, right? (Unless the target was already carrying an aura I guess)

I haven't seen him in aura-heavy cubes so he's usually just a crusader of odric, and I think there's at least one more-interesting "play a load of dudes" 4-drop in sublime archangel.

Prohibit seems bad though

Hmm. Yeah you may be right. I like the hard counter against all 1s and 2s... that's a decent chunk of the cube, plus the kicker gives it more range later. Though too bad, unlike Spell Snare you can't use it on turn 1.

Have they printed this card yet?

1b
Counter target spell with converted mana cost 3 or less.

I want it.

EDIT: I meant 1u.

This is kinda my new favorite card. In my seemingly never-ending quest to help aggro I'm swapping this in for Maze of Ith. This card is good for aggro for the same reasons that signets are bad. It is effectively anti-ramp with a bonus of potential color screw. Delaying the control player's 5+ drops seems to be just the right sweet spot because it's about this time when the control player's cards become better.

I used to despise all form of land destruction because I like players to be able to play spells, but the four land restriction brilliantly avoids having the card cripple players with too few lands. I also like that the colorless drawback is very minor for mono aggro decks, and it doesn't come into play tapped which would make it much worse for aggro.

I see some pretty awesome potential in a GB graveyard type deck, which makes me want to try it. But I worry about the consistency. What if you flip 4 cards - get no lands - and all 4 cards are all things you want in your hand and not your graveyard? How often does that come up in the average deck I wonder?

It also doesn't have a useful creature type, and that actually is something I pay attention to (not that I push tribal, but it does offer some synergistic opportunities). I'm currently running Elvish Visionary, which has a more consistent card draw and is an elf (if you are looking for a similar effect).

Tectonic Edge

This is kinda my new favorite card. In my seemingly never-ending quest to help aggro I'm swapping this in for Maze of Ith. This card is good for aggro for the same reasons that signets are bad. It is effectively anti-ramp with a bonus of potential color screw. Delaying the control player's 5+ drops seems to be just the right sweet spot because it's about this time when the control player's cards become better.

I used to despise all form of land destruction because I like players to be able to play spells, but the four land restriction brilliantly avoids having the card cripple players with too few lands. I also like that the colorless drawback is very minor for mono aggro decks, and it doesn't come into play tapped which would make it much worse for aggro.

My next cube update which I've been working on forever will have a utility land draft. And I'm considering very seriously running 4 copies of this in that draft. Anybody doing something similar? If so, how is it working out?

Wayfinder seems really bad to me, but I don't have much graveyard interaction. 2 mana 1/1 in green... ew. Doesn't even ramp. But, ok, I see, his purpose is to fill your yard. Use these instead?

EDIT: I see Dom started this thread with a picture of Wild Mongrel ;0

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
My next cube update which I've been working on forever will have a utility land draft. And I'm considering very seriously running 4 copies of this in that draft. Anybody doing something similar? If so, how is it working out?

If your cube is a smidge removed from the power maximization mindset - like, say, if your group regularly maindecks Volcanic Hammer - four Tectonic Edges in the utility draft is perfect. Celestial Colonnade and Kessig Wolf Run are among the most powerful and dangerous cards in my cube, and giving everyone access to a way to keep those in check is useful. Try it out, and you find people are a little shy about nabbing some Edges, grab a couple yourself and show folks the power of these lands.

I can't recommend four Edges enough.

how cubeable is this

gets around hexproof or protection or whatever if you put those things in your cube. more likely that you'll use it in response to removal on your dude and bounce one of theirs. if you just use it though you can kind of get blown out by the non-targetting if you only have 2 creatures and they remove the one you wanted to bounce in resp

I tried peel from reality without knowing that card exists. Requiring targets was miserable but I'm not convinced this would be any less miserable often enough. Feels like it would have very similar moments to using an edict on something 'meh' in response to something you don't want to edict even more. Is pretty great if you're going to unsummon your own guy anyways though. Seems worth testing.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

how cubeable is this

gets around hexproof or protection or whatever if you put those things in your cube. more likely that you'll use it in response to removal on your dude and bounce one of theirs. if you just use it though you can kind of get blown out by the non-targetting if you only have 2 creatures and they remove the one you wanted to bounce in resp

This seems like a really bad Innocent Blood most the time. I think it's possible to convince yourself that there are cute synergies, and those moments may exist, but there's probably not a deck in most cubes that would want it in their 40.

If your cube is a smidge removed from the power maximization mindset - like, say, if your group regularly maindecks Volcanic Hammer - four Tectonic Edges in the utility draft is perfect. Celestial Colonnade and Kessig Wolf Run are among the most powerful and dangerous cards in my cube, and giving everyone access to a way to keep those in check is useful. Try it out, and you find people are a little shy about nabbing some Edges, grab a couple yourself and show folks the power of these lands.

I can't recommend four Edges enough.

My cube is more than a smidge removed from the Power Max philosophy. I don't even run Titans.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was worried that Edge wasn't good enough, but I didn't want to use Wasteland because I think that card is a little too good for what I'm after.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
My cube is more than a smidge removed from the Power Max philosophy. I don't even run Titans.

Me neither! I've also banned the likes of Wurmcoil Engine, Batterskull, Elspeth, Knight-Errant, and Lightning Bolt. Yeah, poor old Bolt has to sit in the penalty box with all of those other heavy hitters.

Multiple Wastelands change the dynamic of your cube entirely - see Jason's cube - while multiple Edges mostly act as an effective safety valve against the greediest of decks. I'm pretty sure they'll work wonders for your environment.

I'm not running ANY walkers (or Wurmcoil), though I do run bolt. :)

Looking forward to trying out Edge. I'm thinking of putting 4 copies in the utility draft.