Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

It's also worth noting that it makes Gaea's Cradle tap for mana. Most of the synergies with this card can only be really labled as 'cute.' The only one imo that's worth it is GSZing for it on T1 to ramp, so it's a go if you have that, I guess?

CML

Contributor
I haven't come around to the Arbor yet myself in cube, but its uses include being good with Green Sun's Zenith, Woodland Bellower, Natural Order, Aether Vial, Birthing Pod, Collected Company etc by virtue of being a green creature at 0 cmc. It can also be recurred repeatedly with Crucible of Worlds or Life from the Loam and Unearth can get back a land I guess. You can sacrifice Wooded Foothills and friends to counter an edict. Crop Rotation, Nature's Lore etc can find it. Sylvan Advocate can pump it now. Its another body that works with Standstill. Can even come back with Meren of Clan Nel Toth now, maybe that matters.

Honestly, not sure if all the cute little synergies compensate for the drawback of a land that constantly dies to a light breeze but its a pretty useful card, esp in an environment with a lot of fetches and edicts. That's probably the strongest interaction.

no! its a piece of crap without gsz

Dryad Arbor is useless to have in a cube even if you run GSZ.

Not a real role player, doesn't do anything that green wouldn't already do.

If you have a spell velocity or delve or graveyard theme in your cube this lil guys play and dynamism keep getting better

Where cards I love like death rite shaman and scavenging ooze keep feeling more oppressive to favourite riptide buildarounds and value mechanics.

Kind of a weird card, but it seems great for those of you with a sacrifice theme. I'm trying it out in my cube, which has a light sacrifice theme and a solid supply of tokens.

All this talk around the threads here of cool custom anthems has gotten me looking at pumping effects. What do we think of this little guy? Actually seems like a perfectly strong pick that can help aggression in any color?

Kind of a weird card, but it seems great for those of you with a sacrifice theme. I'm trying it out in my cube, which has a light sacrifice theme and a solid supply of tokens.

I'm seriously considering to add it in my cube after i saw how it plays in Safra's cube.
Ritual of the Machine for every color felt good to me.

All this talk around the threads here of cool custom anthems has gotten me looking at pumping effects. What do we think of this little guy? Actually seems like a perfectly strong pick that can help aggression in any color?

In your cube it probably will underperform.
Doesn't do anything on its own, your cube doesn't have that many tokens which it might be powerful enough, though a simple anthem would be just better even then?

The fact that it's an artifact doesn't matter in your cube, so that ain't a benefit either.

I feel Signal Pest would rock in pauper peasant cubes, but that's about it.

Well then. Signal Pest, you've been shamed back to modern where you belong, I guess :p.

While I'm getting artifacts feelings hurt, I've been looking at this lumpy mass of hands, and wondering if it'd be a sort of cool one-card archetype:

With the general idea being
  • Control Elements
  • Some Token Doods
  • Some bombs
  • Brainstorm helps here
  • I guess mana rocks help too
  • So basically a control shell that can kinda just whip out their bombs using like lingering souls?
It's interesting enough that I might just toss it in as card 406 this weekend and see what ends up happening

Honestly I would run Show And Tell over Proteus Staff if that's what you're looking for, or E Leap if you want the tokens interaction. S&T is a fun, fairish card in many of our environments.

I have been running signal pest forever and recently added proteus staff but it haven't seen any play yet. Signal pest works in my environment, it begs to be run alongside equipment as well as tokens and anthems.

Thing about my environment is that there are very few fliers so it's evasion is probably much better than in other cubes.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
180px-MetapodBaseSet54.jpg

Laz

Developer
It has been a while, but surely a 50/50 chance to prevent the opponent from doing anything and dealing damage is better than a 50/50 chance of only stopping damage? Those ability choices really don't indicate a lot of thought went into the design.

It has been a while, but surely a 50/50 chance to prevent the opponent from doing anything and dealing damage is better than a 50/50 chance of only stopping damage? Those ability choices really don't indicate a lot of thought went into the design.

The flexibility of colourless in the first ability cost makes it more forgiving if you don't pull double green, but ideally hit with Stun Spore first and can follow up to stall with Stiffen, giving you a 50/50 chance of preventing action and then a 50/50 chance of avoiding damage on top of that. Note also that Metapod is from the literal first set of Pokemon cards - I'd say it isn't terribly wonky given this consideration, especially when you compare it to Magic's first set offerings.

(I haven't played Pokemon cards in yeeeeears fyi)

Living Death is sweet. There have been so many times where I've wanted to fire it off in a reanimator shell but couldn't pull the trigger because of the opponent's graveyard being too well stocked. Good amount of play to it, love the pseudo-wrath ability.