Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Very very very good. One of my favorite recent includes

EDIT: I guess I should actually say why I like it :D

Milling it alongside a bloodghast or scrapheap scrounger is a beastly recursive threat. Works great in a delirium aggro deck. It's probably better than Rancor in a graveyard-centric cube. Great alongside flamewake phoenix, strapped to it, or to pump a creature to hit the ferocious trigger. Helps bridge graveyard and berserker themes which I needed. I just really enjoy having the recursive pump and evasion in black.

agree with the above, it’s awesome in any kind of madness or madness-adjacent deck, even in a non-madness aggro deck because the benefits are so high.

I've got it in my list, but haven't gotten to play with it yet. It seems cool. Pretty aggressive boost, very black way of returning the card if you want it. Aggro will be happy to pitch its midgame land for a big buff like that. Hits Zur if you're into that kind of thing. Runs the usual risks of using an aura, which are a real shame, but swinging with a 6 power creature in the air on turn 3 is one hell of a beating.

I happened to see that this is quite a card in Constructed today, but how good is it in cube? My mind says “pretty narrow” but my heart won’t listen! i love flashy stuff!

"Pretty Narrow" is an understatement. You basically need to be playing a green deck that wants to be playing big X-costed instants... a category of spells which just isn't very common in most cubes. Green/Blue flash-type decks can use it but even then I don't think it's that deck's best choice.

The Lighthouse is decent, but I wouldn't compare it to an actual fixing land. If you want to help control, then go with Izzet Boilerworks or something.

When comparing Lighthouse to an actual Izzet card, I think it falls short most of the time. You will always play it, but it doesn't really pull you into the guild nor does it have a big impact.

I don't support tribal in my cube, but if you're not as tribal-adverse as I am, you should consider this card for your mid-powered cube:

It's so much better than weaponcraft enthusiast if you aren't heavily pushing the artifact angle. It sacrifices to itself which can lead to some explosive sequences with recursion. Combined with an inevitability engine like Genesis or Oversold Cemetery it can be a 6 point life swing a turn. It's a 12! point life swing with Blood Artist. Great for providing a win-con with blink alongside Gray Merchant of Asphodel, etc

The card is just silly imo.

I gotta find room for that! Not sure it matters how many Goblins i have in the cube, because like you said it’s more about recurring him than about having other gobbos.

So... This card is busted. But is it fun busted or grbs busted?

The Lighthouse is decent, but I wouldn't compare it to an actual fixing land. If you want to help control, then go with Izzet Boilerworks or something.

When comparing Lighthouse to an actual Izzet card, I think it falls short most of the time. You will always play it, but it doesn't really pull you into the guild nor does it have a big impact.
Sadly, I don't think I can run bouncelands given the land destruction package I run and the high pressure of my cube. I just don't want a UR land a slower deck can't run without taking 4-5 damage over the course of the game.

I can run a painland or a temple, but I'm not sure how those are. The UR manlands also seem very aggro-oriented.

I gotta find room for that! Not sure it matters how many Goblins i have in the cube, because like you said it’s more about recurring him than about having other gobbos.

It's far from busted in cube. At five mana, it requires a specific build to work. Something like Ramp can make good use of it to refill. It's also good with Welder and graveyard-based synergies.

Consider the following:
- Wheel of Fortune, Windfall and Timetwister are not very strong in cube.
- At five mana, you can play planeswalkers and other big effects.
- You only get the cards for a single turn, so you need to plop them all on the table very quickly.

I consider it a better Escape to the Wilds. Worth running though you might not miss it, either.

In my experience, manlands, and especially Ux, shines after both sides exhausted their ressources, or, at least, when the control side managed to survive and overcome. Tar Pit and Colonnade are obviously way better but i've seen UR or WR used with success in Jeskai control shells, so I would not call it aggro-oriented. It's even the opposite - it somehow blocks fine and when everything's cleared by the control player, you can switch to aggressive mode.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

I think my favorite memory jar story is losing the game as my opponent jar'd when they had lethal against my UB control deck, and dying because I couldn't cast Spinal Embrace in response

I might have missed the M21 thread/discussion, but what do you guys think of this guy:

It can have a role in (big) aristocrats and is a suitable reanimation target for lower power levels. The downside of it getting countered is real though.

decent in lower-powered cubes. The reanimation upside is pretty cute because you don't have to sacrifice one of your own creatures if you aren't casting it.