Card/Deck Smokestack

CML

Contributor
For everyone who doesn't want to puzzle this out, loosely it means "the question is wrong"

Probably tokens in my book. I don't really like the idea because A) it's WAY too easy to make smokestack good with gravecrawler, and B)if it ever goes right, someone is having a miserable day.

yeah stop beefing with tokens just run some sweepers or whatever. is it really much work to throw in EE, deed, dsphere

CT: the first one of these assertions has not been true here. the second one is irrelevant since not only is the smokestack player laughing at his victim, 4 to 6 other people are also doing the same, which depending on the self-esteem of your drafters works out to somewhere between 67% and 100% of people who enjoy smokestack

So what you're saying is there's no fun way to have a smokestack deck be viable? Maybe I should just be less educational about non-binary responses to questions in the future.

It's pretty fun with value permanents:

And I think these types of combos help give black some more identity without being too powerful (granted, I don't run multiple Gravecrawlers yet)

Smokestack makes prison decks, so if you enjoy prison decks, it's pretty fun on its own, with just a smidge of synergy.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
yeah stop beefing with tokens just run some sweepers or whatever. is it really much work to throw in EE, deed, dsphere

CT: the first one of these assertions has not been true here. the second one is irrelevant since not only is the smokestack player laughing at his victim, 4 to 6 other people are also doing the same, which depending on the self-esteem of your drafters works out to somewhere between 67% and 100% of people who enjoy smokestack

Yeah, my drafters are a little more pissed when that happens :p
Really though? Gravecrawler + Smokestack is not too easy? I cut stack ages ago on the same grounds as skullclamp: even if it is fair, that's just too easy

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Smokestack has been to me a reasonably powered 4 mana card in my cube. If I ran lots of zombies and multiple gravecrawlers I might feel differently.

Here's a card that goes well with Smokestack, and it breaks all the persist/undying guys.

It's been in and out of my cube over the years. I'm not sure there is a critical mass of ways to abuse it though in most cubes. But it's such a great combo piece in some decks. I need to reassess and see if this is worth running again after my next update.