General (SNC) Streets of New Capenna Previews

eventhescore.jpg

Ah, the perfect follow-up to a wheel!

:edh:

Unironically yeah, this would be super sick in EDH. Blue Sun's Zenith eat your heart out.

Leaks from the commander set are surprisingly good!

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 9.51.36 AM.png

My favorite of the leaked bunch. I have plenty of token support to go around, but this is a) one of the most obvious to build around, making for better drafting with less experienced players b) draws cards in white, which isn't an issue like in EDH but is very welcome all the same, c) love me some covoke-able creatures with a single pip, and d) draws on end step instead of upkeep, and e) draws on your opponent's end steps too!!

Can't wait to curve a Rabblemaster varient or Nissa, Voice of Zendikar-style card into this.

I'm certainly jamming this card, very excited.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 10.11.08 AM.png

White Mulldrifter???? Well, no, but I do like Shield counters a lot and I do like trading extras in for a card and an extra dude. Probably not gonna cut it, but a perfectly respectable Tier 1.5 option at 6 for white.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 9.57.56 AM.png

Almost nearly red Birthing Pod. Sure, you can whiff, but I can taste the ETB value engine going already. Will absolutely test it.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 10.18.44 AM.png

Not for me, but very cool and works in a bunch of different archetypes. Love that the trigger is a "may".

Wow I hate the way that second sentence on Rain of Riches is worded lol. Took me like 5 tries to understand what it wanted to say.

Wow I hate the way that second sentence on Rain of Riches is worded lol. Took me like 5 tries to understand what it wanted to say.
Yeah it's frustrating because the card itself is super simple: the first thing you cast with treasure each turn has cascade, but it takes like half a paragraph to spell it out within the black border rules.

I think this would have been the perfect time to bring back their friend: the word "help".

"The first spell you cast each turn with help from a treasure has cascade"

Reference:

"Your creatures can help cast this spell"
Good idea! Maybe WOTC should hire you to freelance for their templating department!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think this would have been the perfect time to bring back their friend: the word "help".

Reference:

I like the idea, but unfortunately, reminder text has no legal meaning in Magic. They can put whatever they want there. Reminder text is no more than a (hopefully) intuitive synopsis of the actual rules. Case in point:

What a wild reminder text! The (relevant) rules text for convoke is:

702.51a Convoke is a static ability that functions while the spell with convoke is on the stack. “Convoke” means “For each colored mana in this spell’s total cost, you may tap an untapped creature of that color you control rather than pay that mana. For each generic mana in this spell’s total cost, you may tap an untapped creature you control rather than pay that mana.”

Note that there is no mention of creatures "helping" casting a spell with convoke anywhere in this rules section. The word 'help' is not defined in the comprehensive rules, and as such has no meaning. In the case of convoke, the word 'help' was used to condense the actual, formalized rules text of 47 words down to an informal reminder text of 26 words, to make more space for other abilities on cards with convoke.

Reference:

I agree but it wouldn't be flavorful. How can artifical non-living objects help you?

It's like we use dying for creatures and 'put into the graveyard from the battlefield' for artificial non-living objects.

Sorry for the double post but HEY, it's time for my favorite card of the set so far!

1649968690064.png

Comparable to Scrapheap Scrounger in a lot of ways, but I really like drawing the card from recasting this sexy sexy man from the 'yard, especially instead of exiling my other creatures. I wish it was a zombie like Wight (another card I loved with these stats that stuck around too short of a time) but I think this boy's got more staying power. Feels like a fixed Undead Gladiator.

Hmm, I guess it really depends on where you feel the gaps are in an aggressive B/x archetype nowadays. This does give some additional options and can certainly accrue value after something like a wrath, but I'm unsure of whether it's all that necessary nowadays with the plethora of options we've gotten over the years. What I've found to be the most impactful for these lower curve aggro decks is being able to play out multiple bodies early on to chip in or continuously deploy pressure on a rebuild post combat/wrath. Part of what makes Bloodsoaked Champion, Gravecrawler and Skyclave Shade strong are the cheap cost of redeployment. On first glance 4 mana feels like 1 too much to get past the mana bottleneck in these decks to be effective.

When your main goal is to apply a lot of pressure early and rely on recursive reach late to close it out, I'm not sure if this will actually get a chance to chip in for non-blitz damage early enough in a lot of games without base evasion or recursion on the body. It's very critical that your cheap aggressive creature can get in for that 3-4 damage before the opponent develops their board. I honestly think I like Blade of the Oni and Mukotai Soulripper from NEO more than this among recent options mostly due to resilience and evasion. Not a bad card at all, but I don't think it's quite a slam dunk like it would have been a few years back.

EDIT: Updated with English card

Last edited:
Correction: they made a good Priest of Ancient Lore.

(Like obviously priest had applications before but this one is significantly less niche because it has flying so more decks at more power levels will want it).
I mean... I was literally already running Priest and Cloudkin Seer and they weren't embarrassing.

Screw them, they seem to be more okay these days with super obvious, direct power creeping even on recent cards. I'll stick with priest, it has been clearly good enough for my cube.

i get that sentiment. in this specific case, i can kinda see the thought process…
“white used to be bad at drawing cards, now it’s not”
“hey remember that white cantrip priest we made? cloudkin seer is already better than that”
“white should have better creatures than blue right?”
“hey you’re right! it SHOULD!”
*releases cloudkin seer plus gain life in white*

but if you’re going for a particular power band that’s not “max power” in your cube, there’s no real reason to add a creature just because it’s better than what you’re currently on.

I like the idea, but unfortunately, reminder text has no legal meaning in Magic. They can put whatever they want there. Reminder text is no more than a (hopefully) intuitive synopsis of the actual rules. Case in point:

What a wild reminder text! The (relevant) rules text for convoke is:

Note that there is no mention of creatures "helping" casting a spell with convoke anywhere in this rules section. The word 'help' is not defined in the comprehensive rules, and as such has no meaning. In the case of convoke, the word 'help' was used to condense the actual, formalized rules text of 47 words down to an informal reminder text of 26 words, to make more space for other abilities on cards with convoke.
They could just canonize the rule text meaning of "help". It's their rulebook.