General Stock Poster Biases

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Being a new poster is confusing. Who are these strange people, and why is the guy in the Seattle jersey always so angry? Does anybody get his references? And one of the administrators advocates for Volcanic Hammer. And has never written an article. Does he even know how to cube? Here's the lay of the land.

CML
Image.ashx

In CML's world, there's no problem that can't be solved by a healthy serving of color-intensive three and four drops. As long as they're not blue, because fuck blue. CML can be easily identified by his frequent allusions to libertarians (anything he has vague negative feelings about), Lena Dunham (anything he has vaguer mixed feelings about) and various facist regimes (anything he finds to be brilliant). Any card (his name included) that can be reduced to a three-letter acronym can and will be reduced. Sure, you may be able to deduce cards like QPM and DRS, but when he drops a PPW into the conversation you may be left scratching your head.

Image.ashx
Dom Harvey
Image.ashx

Marked by an abhorrence of the combat step, Dom has been trying to make spells matter wince the Gulf War. Dom is a fervent defender of the status quo, penning such classics as "Red Spells You Should Never Play In Cube" and "Red Spells You Should Never Play In Modern". We're all hoping he branches out to other colors soon.

Eric Chan
Image.ashx

Eric's radical approach to cube design centers around minimizing removal efficiency in order to give aggro decks some "breathing room". No control deck has ever won his cube, which he heralds as evidence of his brilliance. Eric starts his personal search for new cube cards queries the text "target creature", sorted by converted mana cost. Decreasing. Following Return to Ravnica's printing, Eric bemoaned rampant power creep. "Trostani's Judgment really should have been a Sorcery."

FlowerSunRain
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

FlowerSunRain (unlovingly referred to as 'FSR') abhors splashy effects, and strangely fetishizes vanilla creatures. Once a self-proclaimed cube expert registered to RiptideLab just to call FlowerSunRain an idiot. Lurkers are encouraged to do the same.

Chris Taylor
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Chris has posted here nearly 1500 times, but I don't think he's ever cast cards using their Oracle wording. He's also really afraid of traffic, but the time he saves by not travelling has enabled him to post nearly 1500 times.

Alfonso Bonzo
Image.ashx

Alfonso recommends cubing with cards that were marginally playable (at best) in their original environments.

Jason Waddell
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

For lack of better ideas, Jason breaks singleton until people stop reading his articles. I'm not sure he even plays Magic. This entire site is likely a front for his embarrassing online dating articles.

James Stevenson
Image.ashx

James posts here because MTGS' anti-hatespeech rules were too stringent.

Lucre
Image.ashx

Lucas posts here because he was IP banned from MTGS. He'll probably go back there as soon as he finds a new apartment.

CML

Contributor
More royalties off that bad boy than Lorde

The only complaint I have is the useless Saviors of Kamigawa card showed up under someone else's name. Dune-Brood Nephilim though man I lol'd

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Man you guys are never going to let me live skipping Eric's drafts down are ya? :p
I'd say there's a difference between "traffic" and "a 2 hour commute one way after getting off work at 5:30"

Also: there's a single card I've never cast for it's oracle wording:

(In my cube it reads green creature)
Everything else uses oracle wording, even bloody sylvan library and animate dead :p

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
It's true. Jace, the Mind Sculptor is a bigger trap here than Savannah Lions are in the MTGO unpowered cube. If you take the Jace, be prepared to have him get eaten by Grizzly Bears every game. Unless, of course, you take the Shock to protect him!

Chris, we play inside an office building at Yonge & Eglinton once a month now. If you work anywhere in within 416, especially along a subway line, it should be under an hour of transit. Of course, I have no idea where you work...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It's true. Jace, the Mind Sculptor is a bigger trap here than Savannah Lions are in the MTGO unpowered cube. If you take the Jace, be prepared to have him get eaten by Grizzly Bears every game. Unless, of course, you take the Shock to protect him!

Chris, we play inside an office building at Yonge & Eglinton once a month now. If you work anywhere in within 416, especially along a subway line, it should be under an hour of transit. Of course, I have no idea where you work...

Fair enough, that's much easier than the previous location.
I'm actually living in guelph, but hopefully that'll change soon (Trying to set up an interview now)

An Addendum to the Spotter's Guide:

safra

Does she even play Magic? Allegedly my cube is about Legacy-style intricate play but I think it might actually be a juvenile fixation with counterspells allowed free reign. (quick, what's the difference between Legacy and onanism? About 2k usually)

Not being able to implement the parts of Legacy least appealing to new players (stack-based combo, an emphasis on mana denial and consistency) keeps me awake at night, which leaves a bunch of extra time for shitposting. God I love shitposting.

Aoret

He lets people take Wastelands and fetches instead of basic lands during deckbuilding. Doesn't he know Real Magic is 20 Black Lotuses and 20 Plague Rats? He does a lot of behind the scenes stuff and Cubes multiple anime Vendilion Cliques - draw your own complex judgments.

ahadabans
gTHb8eT.jpg

If it was printed in any of the last three card frames, ahadabans is having none of it. Planeswalkers are an abhorrence, and he doesn't play as much multiplayer as he used to but still slams midrange into midrange every week.

Blacksmithy

Blacksmithy designs all sorts of 90-card--excuse me, 360-card--cubes to test out niche environments. A big proponent of iterative design, he prototypes environments and then abandons 'em for not being deep enough.

Grillo_Parlante
hb1fnqB.jpg

His novel-length posts have all the detail you'll ever need, even if it's more than you wanted in the first place. This guy's willingness to look through someone's list and offer critique is unparalleled. A Pauper aficionado, he's at his best talking about lower-power formats.

Onderzeeboot

I'd believe this guy when he talks about using customs to fill in occasional design holes if he didn't seem to find quite so many design holes. His cards are sweet and so is his cube though!

RavebornMuse

Sometimes I get the sense RavebornMuse plays Magic as an interactive story-telling activity, and chooses and rejects Cube includes on the basis of how pleasant they are to look at, think about, or open-palm slam onto the table. A 2-player draft aficionado, niche format explorer and excitable poster, RavebornMuse is on the cutting edge of fun-max discussions.

Suicufnoc
oIPy5pRm.jpg

He designs some wicked twisted custom cards. If somebody's been arguing minutiae with Grillo for a page or two it might be him.

(if i left you out i'm sorry i just couldn't think of anything decent!)

Awesome I made it onto the B-Team! Despite my relative lack of presence lately... My friend sold his card shop to another guy, and I just haven't felt like going there since. I think I've cubed once since BFZ came out. Haven't even gotten to test Goblin Marpher yet.

Off-topic cause I don't want to start a thread: We need a custom card rating system or something to keep them organized and accessible for people. Talked about it a year back and never did anything. Maybe I will now. Probably not.

An Addendum to the Spotter's Guide:

Blacksmithy

Blacksmithy designs all sorts of 90-card--excuse me, 360-card--cubes to test out niche environments. A big proponent of iterative design, he prototypes environments and then abandons 'em for not being deep enough.

<3 safra
The bolded text describes more of my life than I want to admit.
And if I could get a really good proxy with that art I'd cube Time Walk with no ragrets