General Stupid Judge Question Thread

CML

Contributor
On Mondays I play Legacy with the homies and on occasion like to waste my judge's time for no reason. I noted in another thread that FSR should probably move to Seattle as he is a natural at this:

This is possibly the wrong place to ask this question and if I were to delve into the depths of the internet it may already be answered, but does anyone know exactly how Opalescence interacts with the Theros God cards? If devotion to white is <5, Heliod with Opalescence on the table is a 4/4. If Devotion is 5 or more, in what situations will Heliod be a 5/6 and in what situations will he be a 4/4?

In this thread we will post other stupid judge questions that arise, maybe, from Cube. Extra points for submissions that don't involve famous gordian knots like Sylvan Library and extra extra points for submissions that do involve some of our stupid pet cards like Gravecrawler and Ashenmoor Liege.

I'll get the party started:

--when you cast glittering wish with painter's servant on blue can you get a pyroblast from your sideboard?!?
--when you control a cosi's trickster and the opponent casts green sun's zenith how many counters do you get?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
- I morph a Wall of Deceit, and my opponent casts Ertai's Meddling. After it resolves again, I play Ixidron. Where is the face down side?
- If that guy on the periphery of your playgroup who doesn't speak English well and always plays Miracles is slow-playing in a forest and a judge isn't around to see him, is he still violating the rules?

Reactions: CML

CML

Contributor
Just to be clear I am not interested in real answers so much as stupid questions, though "temperate or tropical forest?"-type answers are actively encouraged

CML

Contributor
Baleful Strix vs. Emrakul

xwing_death_star_run.jpg

You have animated an Erebos with an Animate Dead on, you meet devotion, someone casts a StP on the Erebos. Crafty as you are, you sacrifice Animate Dead to your Auratog, dropping you below the devotion requirement for Erebos.

Not realistic you say? PSH!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You have animated an Erebos with an Animate Dead on, you meet devotion, someone casts a StP on the Erebos. Crafty as you are, you sacrifice Animate Dead to your Auratog, dropping you below the devotion requirement for Erebos.

Not realistic you say? PSH!

IIRC this has a real answer: you have to sac erabos anyways (which might be better than him being exiled) since animate dead forces you to sacrifice the creature when it becomes unattached. It specifically mentions anything with the type creature, presumably weather it's still a creature or not

IIRC this has a real answer: you have to sac erabos anyways (which might be better than him being exiled) since animate dead forces you to sacrifice the creature when it becomes unattached. It specifically mentions anything with the type creature, presumably weather it's still a creature or not

Yeah, that's correct. For a less ludicrous example, we actually had the same principle come up with Grafted Wargear and a Mishra's Factory.

Laz

Developer
This is an actual question. Say I sacrifice Kitchen Finks to grab Disciple of Bolas. Is the Finks on the battlefield again by the time Disciple ETBs?

Declare Pod Activation -> costs are paid simultaneously to Pod going on stack.
As a result of the cost, Finks is sacrificed -> Persist goes on stack.

Persist Resolves, then you search for a 4CMC creature with Pod.

CML

Contributor
Yeah, that's correct. For a less ludicrous example, we actually had the same principle come up with Grafted Wargear and a Mishra's Factory.

Less ludicrous? You must not play Modern!

One of my favorite rules interactions is how you have time to kill creatures with 187s before they can Pod them. Say your opponent casts Murderous Redcap on their board of Birthing Pod and Spike Feeder when you have Path to Exile in hand, they'll gain infinite if and only if you have had the misfortune to board into your Torpor Orb

Laz

Developer
Less ludicrous? You must not play Modern!

One of my favorite rules interactions is how you have time to kill creatures with 187s before they can Pod them. Say your opponent casts Murderous Redcap on their board of Birthing Pod and Spike Feeder when you have Path to Exile in hand, they'll gain infinite if and only if you have had the misfortune to board into your Torpor Orb

In that very specific situation, assuming that the 4-drop had no ETB, couldn't you Path in response to the first Archangel of Thune trigger, preventing them from going infinite because they would have to remove the last +1/+1 counter from Spike Feeder in order to start the cycle?

CML

Contributor
hahahahahah yes i'm an idiot. someone contrive an actual situation, i am unable to come up with anything cooler than "pathed his finks in response to gain 2 cuz i didnt want him to pod it away, lost anyway"

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Considering I am the only cube running Aura Finesse, I suppose this is relevant to me.

I assume if you cast it on a bestowed creature and move it to a new target, it immediately turns into a dude?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno... wouldn't it still be an aura... unless the creature target ceases to be, in which case, surprise blocker?

I dunno... wouldn't it still be an aura... unless the creature target ceases to be, in which case, surprise blocker?

it never say's "dettatch, then attach" so in the same veign as failed equip triggers: it stays where it is.
if you would Aura Finesse it, it stays attached to the previous permanent right up until it gets attached to the next one. at no one point is it dettached, and thus it'll remain an aura.