General Stupid Judge Question Thread

bump

this is a custom card question sort of but if i have a permanent with
"{T}, Put the top card of your library into your graveyard: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
do you have to choose the color before seeing the card (buffing millikin)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
bump

this is a custom card question sort of but if i have a permanent with
"{T}, Put the top card of your library into your graveyard: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
do you have to choose the color before seeing the card (buffing millikin)
Yes. You announce the ability, make required choices (including, but not limited to, choosing targets, charm modes or the value of X in a spell), then pay the cost, then resolve the ability.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yes. You announce the ability, make required choices (including, but not limited to, choosing targets, charm modes or the value of X in a spell), then pay the cost, then resolve the ability.
yeah you only choose modes, targets, and X before resolution, so he didn't answer my question
Did too? You might have missed it, but there's a "Yes" at the start of my answer. Everything after that is an explanation why. You have to make the choice of which color of mana to generate before you pay the cost of the ability. Since milling yourself is part of the cost, you don't get to see the card before you have to choose a color.

Incidentally, the question you posted to Ask a Magic Judge formulated is in reverse, so there the answer is "No".

the "yes" was accurate but the other bit was inaccurate, there's plenty of choices you don't make in magic until resolution of the ability. a seemingly analogous example would be mother of runes but you choose the color upon resolution of her ability

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
the "yes" was accurate but the other bit was inaccurate, there's plenty of choices you don't make in magic until resolution of the ability. a seemingly analogous example would be mother of runes but you choose the color upon resolution of her ability

Paying the costs for an ability or a spell is always the last step in activating/casting it, so I believe you choose the color before you tap Mother of Runes. Because neither player receive priority until after costs are paid this is of course nothing more than a technicality. The color is chosen and the Mother is tapped before either player can react. There are of course plenty of cards which do involve a choice after the spell being cast, like Fact or Fiction and Innocent Blood, but as far as I'm aware Mother of Runes isn't one of them.

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/do-you-really-know-how-to-cast-spells/ lists some good examples. I didn't know that bit about Locath and Momentous Fall, that's brilliant (and brilliantly confusing) :)

mom doesnt have the oracle bit but

1/24/2013: You choose the color when the ability resolves.

your link describes what happens, you choose modes/X, then targets, then you play it

all other choices happen on resolution

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
o_O I am baffled.

Edit: Also

You choose the color as Gods Willing resolves. Once the color is chosen, it’s too late for players to respond.

Edit2: In that case the judge's answer to your question does not make sense.

Also, yay! I learned something today!

CML

Contributor
o_O I am baffled.

Edit: Also

You choose the color as Gods Willing resolves. Once the color is chosen, it’s too late for players to respond.

Edit2: In that case the judge's answer to your question does not make sense.

Also, yay! I learned something today!

yeah ditto Brave the Elements. anyone had experiences with that card in cube? i keep wanting that and honor of the pure and stuff like divine sacrament to be things (WW themes) but eh

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think I want to try out:

It protects any permanent for a single white mana and does a hell of a Brave the Elements impersonation while on low life.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Shameless Necro:
9.jpg

Does this card do anything anymore? Who orders blockers?