General [STX] Strixhaven Spoilers

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's neat and probably gets there for lower-powered cubes on modality, but I'd probably just stick with Liliana's Triumph and Chainer's Edict in most scenarios. Even if the Lily discard is flavor text the majority of the time, it's still the cheapest version of that effect at instant speed with upside and leaving up 1B is easier than 2B. Edict let's you get a second try at it later in the game with Flashback and its been relevant for me in grindy matches in the past. I guess it really depends on how useful that token mode is for you, but 2/1 fliers on their own aren't super useful most of the time.
If you don't want the trinket text and think instant edict effects are playable at all, there's always the og Diabolic Edict.

And we are certain the 1 extra mana is not worth the extra flexibility: Also remove planeswalkers and also create a flash flying token?

It seems like a card I will never be happy to include in my deck but never sad to have in hand.

If you don't want the trinket text and think instant edict effects are playable at all, there's always the og Diabolic Edict.

That's fair. I do run two Liliana cards so it can be relevant every now and then. But most of all I just really like the promo art compared to any Diabolic Edict printing thus far:

187189_200w.jpg

And we are certain the 1 extra mana is not worth the extra flexibility: Also remove planeswalkers and also create a flash flying token?

It seems like a card I will never be happy to include in my deck but never sad to have in hand.

Pretty much. Best case scenario it kills a walker on an empty board, worst case you've killed their weakest creature and didn't really make a big impact clearing the way. For standalone edicts I just value mana efficiency pretty highly if you don't have some way to recur them like you would with edicts on a body.

I know some folks have been getting good mileage out of Pharika's Libation, but it seems a little weak to me. I'm almost tempted to make a mashup of the two--make an Inkling, enemy sacs a critter, enemy sacs a PW, or enemy sacs an enchantment, but at that point it's just Angrath's Rampage with extra steps. (Not that I'd mind that, honestly.)

What’s your Sneaky Welder Archetype? :) Are you doubling up on Sneak Attack or something?

Mostly in conjunction with Black's:

It spills into the other colors as well...but the name has more to do with the haste of the necromancer, grave upheaval, sneak attack, and feldon, and the surprise factor of makeshift mannequin and manticore fling

So Cursed Mirror is right at home in the archetype...it is ramp, a welder target, and a hasted clone effect.

Another version I've run at times is the Flayer Combo:

With the right setup you can get a one-shot kill with all of the Hatebound triggers.

Sequence%2BEngine%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

Solid for The Black Cube. Mild grave hate is always appreciated and this one adds some value to it.

Ruxa%252C%2BPatient%2BProfessor%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

Thie is actually might trigger in The (theoretical) Green Cube
OK. Not as many as I thought, but some value beats no value.

Actually I think Ruxa might be kinda fun in a "beginner cube / simple cube" that tries to run quite a lot of vanilla beaters?

I thought this, too, but the number of decent french vanilla beaters is way higher than straight up vanilla. Still, tokens and a few vanillas is pretty useful. A 4/4 with a chance to +1 ETB is plenty decent.

Feels like a Yu-Gi-Oh card that cares about Normal Monsters, if anyone has experience there.

Orzhov has some bangers.

Keen%2BDuelist%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

Ever wanted to play Dark Confidant in a multiple-Eldrazi deck with a clear conscience? Ever wanted a Dark Confidant that also survives Wrenn and Six and also gives you free info about the opponent?
edit: and in case my hyperbole did not make it clear, I think this card is actually better than Dark Confidant, even if it may hurt you for more mean damage in the decks that Bob's best in because they tend to have very low mana curve relative to the average opponent's, because I really like the extra toughness and also the Goblin-Guide-esque peeking.
edit2: I'm illiterate, they get a card too, oh god no don't.

Nils%252C%2BDiscipline%2BEnforcer%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

Like Luminarch Aspirant, but bad. But good for multiplayer.

Inkshield%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

Can you imagine if this was legal in retail limited? What an enormous beating.

Felisa%252C%2BFang%2Bof%2BSilverquill%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

I like mentor.

Incarnation%2BTechnique%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

A Demonstrate card I don't hate playing in two-player.

Cunning%2BRhetoric%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

Durdly, but okay.

Author-of-Shadows-C21-265.jpg

Super durdly, but okay.

Fain%252C%2Bthe%2BBroker%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

I like Trading Post but, you know.

Combat%2BCalligrapher%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

firmly in multiplayer territory now

Seeker, I like your take except for Combat Calligrapher. You trigger it too, meaning that it's a MV-4 Rabblemaster with flying that makes tokens that are more than twice as good. It's probably a lot better than Emeria Angel, which is solidly average.

Seeker, I like your take except for Combat Calligrapher. You trigger it too, meaning that it's a MV-4 Rabblemaster with flying that makes tokens that are more than twice as good. It's probably a lot better than Emeria Angel, which is solidly average.
...wow, okay, I'm illiterate.
Also doesn't your opponent draw with keen deulist?
...wow, okay, card blows and I'm illiterate.

What a way to find out that my kindergarten teacher did a worse job than expected :(

edit: I also thought Fain cost 4 and not 3 so that's a substantial improvement there too. Really showing my whole brain here.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Am I crazy or are a lot of the cards printed in connection with strixhaven wordy??

Worse: it's too wordy for US
We're the deeply entrenched target audience for this! If we're having trouble parsing things, good lord think of the normies!

...wow, okay, I'm illiterate.

...wow, okay, card blows and I'm illiterate.

What a way to find out that my kindergarten teacher did a worse job than expected :(

edit: I also thought Fain cost 4 and not 3 so that's a substantial improvement there too. Really showing my whole brain here.

In that approximately 100% of us have made an error like this recently, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

Dom's line from the podcast was something along the lines of "We thought questing beast was bad, and now we've got a MDFC where both sides are questing beast length"

Frankly, I'm just impressed that WotC has returned to this level of complexity after the legendary keelhauling that led to the New World Order schema of "simplicity. "

And I agree, don't beat yourself up about it, Seeker. I've been doing the same thing over and over again this whole spoiler season. You were just excited to talk about new cards, the way we all are.

This complexity is why I really dislike all the "shortcuts" they've made to their phrasing recently. One major thing changing CMC to MV does on a card is let them cram more complexity into that text box*. This is operating under the principle that "converted mana cost" and "mana value" both take the same mental space to actually process, since they are talking about the same card concept. Same with "create a token" and "put a token onto the battlefield". Same mental card concept, just less physical space taken now.
Additional words they can now fit add additional card concepts that they couldn't fit before. Their overall card complexity cap is now higher.

Wordy phrases are self-limiting on the complexity in a way. Removing some of that self-limiting can lead to ever increasing readability difficulties..... :(

(I do like "create a token" for the record. That's a very intuitive phrase)

Am I crazy or are a lot of the cards printed in connection with strixhaven reaally wordy??

It's way too much. Like Chris said, we're probably in the top percentage of enfranchised players that actually focus on new releases, but even then there are so many cards where I'm like wait what did this do again? I know they haven't had paper Magic to pull data from for over a year now, but this complexity leap is crazy if you're someone new or very casual with the game. I feel dumb for thinking that Adventures were too wordy in Eldraine.

I really hope it ends up like Velrun mentioned in a thread where they went Strixhaven - Kaldheim - Zendikar in terms of internal MDFC design so they actually got better as they went along. ZNR had simple to understand cards and cycles with similar templating, no problem at all playing with those cards. This is just all over the place.

2ok0u5jc3zr61.png

To some of the points above, I do feel like they are pushing forward with new design space at the cost of elegance. Commander sets have always leaned more in this direction, but some of these cards strike me as particularly brutish. I feel like not so long ago, if a card needed to have an arguably confusing phrase like "Activate only once" tacked on like this, the design would have been scrapped as unworkable.