General [STX] Strixhaven Spoilers

gyomemasterchef1.jpg

I actually really like this guy, but my players don't know what Food tokens are...

tivashgloomsummoner.jpg

Life gain support AND payoff, with a real cost. I like that he isn't evasive, making it harder to utilize his own lifelink to crank out Demons.

yedoragravegardener.jpg

I though this was the strangest grave hate I'd ever seen, but it only works on your own creatures. Still, solid body and cool effect. Shame green 5s are so competitive, it's neat.

ezzarootchanneler.jpg

Another support plus payoff for life.dec, but green 6s can do a lot better than a massive ramper, even at pretty low power.

veinwitchcoven.jpg

Life gain payoff with a notably decent body. Not much downside here if you're trying to enable that sort of thing.

sproutbacktrudge.jpg

Hogaain? Looks pretty cool to me.

blightmound.jpg

I've been looking at tokens and life gain lately. I likely have Labyrinth Raptor in the list and have sac themes, as well. Potentially checks a lot of boxes.

blossomingbogbeast1.jpg

5/5 for 5 on its own. Pumps the team. Triggers life gain. Will have to see how it compares to my green 5s, but this does a lot.

pestinfestation.jpg

Flexible way to flood the board. Could be too annoying, if anything. Something like blow up 3 things, make 6 blockers, eventually gain 6 life is a huge road block.

revivalexperiment.jpg

This could be a sweet bomb. Almost surely is if you can afford the life, but I am skeptical that an extra 1-2 mana and 6 life may be a bit much vs my usual 4-5 mana single reanimators and I wasn't big on Ever After.

trudgegarden.jpg

Sigil of the Empty Throne-style of do-nothing. Looks likely to be too slow, but maybe the lower upfront cost works.

essencepulse.jpg

Seems like too conditional of a wrath. A lot of life gain is going to be generated by the controller's creatures, anyways.

marshlandbloodcaster.jpg

This reads like it's cool, but it likely isn't accelerating much. You already have 5+ mana in play. You could wait one more turn to cast an Ultimatum and skip the 3/5 flyer for 5.

healingtechnique.jpg

Pulse of Murasa, though...

Marshland Bloodcaster isn't a "use this to power out an Ultimatum a turn early" card.

It's a reanimation target that helps you play your other reanimation targets.

Brad said:

Hmm, this might be the green lifegain enabler+payoff I was hoping for. I'm just worried that it might be too good. Is it better than this guy?

How would it compare to the original?

I'd imagine it's better because the worst case scenario is better than those, a 5/5 trampler for 5. The average to best case scenario is on par with those two, a huge attack. It does lose out on the immediacy that Overrun (or 11 mana Kamahl) offers.

It feels like the beast fits into more decks, as it's somewhat generically strong without any support, but bolsters the life gain and go wide strategies as well. The latter two feel like I'd only take them in a go wide type of deck.

Looking at your list, because I know that I'm unfamiliar with your power level, it's probably on par with Ant Queen if I had to speculate. Nice, beefy body with an effect that can become problematic if left alone. Could definitely be something you're interested in, but I'd keep an eye on it.

All that said, despite being a "5/5," it does die to red spells.

I'd imagine it's better because the worst case scenario is better than those, a 5/5 trampler for 5. The average to best case scenario is on par with those two, a huge attack. It does lose out on the immediacy that Overrun (or 11 mana Kamahl) offers.

It feels like the beast fits into more decks, as it's somewhat generically strong without any support, but bolsters the life gain and go wide strategies as well. The latter two feel like I'd only take them in a go wide type of deck.

Looking at your list, because I know that I'm unfamiliar with your power level, it's probably on par with Ant Queen if I had to speculate. Nice, beefy body with an effect that can become problematic if left alone. Could definitely be something you're interested in, but I'd keep an eye on it.

All that said, despite being a "5/5," it does die to red spells.

Having a better worst case is totally fine with me, as a 5/5 trample for 5 is not exactly a great card, even though it's far from ebarassing in my environment.

I just have a feeling that this might be a larger removal check than Ant Queen. If the opponent can untap with at queen, at worst they will get four or five 1/1 insects out of the deal. But with this guy, they might just straight up win after untapping once. Even with three other creatures, which have 1 power, the bogbeast adds 11 trampling power to the board.

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to turn this thread into a fight club for a moment. How would you all say these two cards compare with each other?

VS.
blossomingbogbeast1.jpg

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to turn this thread into a fight club for a moment. How would you all say these two cards compare with each other?

VS.
blossomingbogbeast1.jpg
I don't feel these are comparable other than being Green Baneslayers with useful abilities. Ant Queen is better in token-based or defense-oriented strategies where hiding behind an army of ants is a reasonable course of action. Meanwhile, the Bogbeast looks to be better in decks that are focused primarily on attacking, especially if they have cards that can gain life.

I think these cards will play well together, but they don't fill the same role, and they are at their best in different strategies.

Yeah, they're pretty different, it was just the closest power level comparison I could get. Boggers definitely outshines Spore Mound, for example. Both of them feel a bit removal checky, with Boggers probably being the worse offender because the threat is usually more immediate. Boggers could also be seriously problematic if you Pulse of Murasa, or something, on turn 6 and then swing for a billion.

both seem fair in their roles.
ant queen seems more solid in a vacuum as a harder to remove creature and solo engine

After watching your video I also found this one that actually has both cards in the video and compares them. In case anyone else is interested, here it is:

Yeah, I wasn't about to check a 43 minute video lol.

Pretty interesting that the JP Foil and the US Foil of the JP card is different.

Wow wow wow...

I know I'm super late to the party, but when I first saw Fracture I saw it in the original spoiled version, which was in French and I immediately rushed in here to spoil it for you guys. But the picture I uploaded, I took from www.mythicspoiler.com which had the Italian version and not the French version. As a Danish speaking person with English as my second language, I didn't notice this change.

Now the story gets good :D

This resolved in me going like this upon spoiling

This could be insane

View attachment 3760

Edit, translation: “No need for translation.”

But only today I saw that the card wasn't printed like the original French version I first saw.

Fracture.jpg

Imagine my surprise when I realized Fracture couldn't kill creatures :p