General [STX] Strixhaven Spoilers

I really like these too.....you don't have to cast the artifacts for Losheel which is huge. Cursed Mirror is going to be so cool in my Sneaky Welder archetype

Unnngggh. Screw Strixhaven, this is way cooler :D

What’s your Sneaky Welder Archetype? :) Are you doubling up on Sneak Attack or something?

Impressive that UR manages to be a near-total whiff for me after RW looked so cool.

Rionya-Fire-Dancer-C21-265.jpg

This one's at least interesting, even if it's not what I want from my red five drops.

Reinterpret-C21-265.jpg

Fun and memorable, though I myself am not interested.

Surge-to-Victory-C21-265.jpg

Don't think this one's for anyone here, but it's also kinda funny to think about.

They're really going all in on the big spell theme with this pre-con, everything is costed like 1-2 mana more than I'd need for cube inclusion. Not too impressed with day 2 spoilers thus far, though I do like this one a little:

y5iqvujxdkr61.png

Beautiful art, but unfortunately a Panharmonicon like effect for spellslinging doesn't do much for me at the moment. Great for anyone going deep with Magecraft and other triggers in Izzet colors though. Chaining a ton of damage off a Guttersnipe and cheap spells sounds pretty fun.

The refrain cards both look pretty interesting — not sure if I'd be interested in them for cube, but I was always fond of Arc Blade et al.

inspiringrefrain.jpg
rousingrefrain.jpg

Surge to Victory is literally designed for one of my pet decks. Too bad that I decided to make it Modern legal, otherwise people would get drowned under copies of Magma Opus.

musevortex.jpg

This is an interesting card for a spell-slinger archetype. Note that you get to keep any instant or sorcery cards that you hit other than the one you cast.

excavationtechnique.jpg
creativetechnique.jpg

And finally, we have this cycle. Sure, it relies on multiplayer politics to work, but Demonstrate is a pretty interesting mechanic.

Rionya, fire dancer + Aurelia, the Warleader? That works, right? Unless "beginning of combat" has some nitpickiness about it that it doesn't trigger on additional combat phases. Just keep saccing the already used Aurelias

But yeah, definitely less abusable than Kiki-Jiki

Simic's theme won't surprise anyone, but there sure is a lot of grindy value here.

Sequence%2BEngine%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

There's suuuper grindy!

Fractal%2BHarness%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

And less-but-still grindy!

Oversimplify%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

...okay, this one is just the closest we ever get to GU Wrath.

Ruxa%252C%2BPatient%2BProfessor%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

"Vanilla matters" is secretly also a token lord so it's kind of interesting, at least. Which is good because the art is great and I'm all about it being interesting given the hilarious art.

Curiosity-Crafter-C21-265.jpg

Do people run tokens matter as a theme? Cause if so, we have stuff for ya.

Perplexing%2BTest%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

...like, lots of stuff.

Esix%252C%2BFractal%2BBloom%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg
Replication%2BTechnique%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg
Theoretical%2BDuplication%2B%255BC21%255D.jpg

lots and lots and...

Ruxa is a strong Token Lord, it's just a shame the first ability is basically flavor text in most cubes. And to be clear, they are only a token lord for actually vanilla tokens. Soldiers with vigilance, or birds with flying, etc. don't get the bonuses.

We haven't talked about this little instant yet

umbraljuke.jpg

Neither abilities are on-par and probably costs about 1 mana too much. But this is how it is with modal spells, we know this.

I think it's pretty cool but I think you'll have to be pretty low power to use this. I like that is can flash in a flying creature or take out not only creatures.

It's neat and probably gets there for lower-powered cubes on modality, but I'd probably just stick with Liliana's Triumph and Chainer's Edict in most scenarios. Even if the Lily discard is flavor text the majority of the time, it's still the cheapest version of that effect at instant speed with upside and leaving up 1B is easier than 2B. Edict let's you get a second try at it later in the game with Flashback and its been relevant for me in grindy matches in the past. I guess it really depends on how useful that token mode is for you, but 2/1 fliers on their own aren't super useful most of the time.