General [STX] Strixhaven Spoilers

beledroswitherbloom.jpg

I've been saying for a while that The Black Cube need more 7 mana 4/4s... Damn it. Come on, WotC.

harnessinfinityp.jpg

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

dinasoulsteeper.jpg

This, along with others, may have me taking a look at a light life gain theme.

daemongothtitan.jpg

Might have been cooler, and effectively the same, at 13/13 to be a little more sinister. Still, I have plenty to sacrifice and everyone loves a smasher!

daemogothwoeeater.jpg

Daemogoth Woe-Eater 1G(G/B)B
Creature - Demon
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a creature.
Whenever you sacrfice Daemogoth Woe-Eeater, each opponent discards a card, and you draw a card and gain 2 life.
7/6
Another huge 4 drop. Sac itself is a decent plan B, just as "don't attack or block" isn't so bad for the quadbrid.

The 7 mana 4/4 not only has flying but also creates a 1/1 each upkeep including opponent’s upkeeps. And it gains a ton of life if it doesn’t end the game quickly.

"Your Vex's name is Blex?"
"Yep."
"Sounds a lot like 'vex.'"
"Maybe that's why he became a Vex."

“Your rat’s name is Brad?”
“Yep.”
“Sound an aweful lot like rat.”
“Maybe that’s why he became a rat.”

mortalityspear.jpg

Another great less narrow "tribal" card. Good for 4 mana, great for 2.

Going to have to look into WB +1/+1 counters, WB tokens, and BG life gain.

Love the removal in multicolor sets.

I like Campus Guide. There aren't a ton of 2 mana artifact creatures that can go nicely into a cube, but this is one that could go in there to help an artifact theme or get picked by a random player who needs 2 drops or wants color fixing.

The only unfortunate part of the removal in this set is that much of it is Gold, so it makes it a little bit harder for cubes that are trying to avoid multicolor soup or without proper mana fixing.

Granted, both of these issues are easy to address. Adding more fixing makes gold cards more viable, and multicolor soup can be avoided by limiting the number of narrow, unplayable cards in a format.

Speaking of good removal, here's a pretty interesting Doom Blade variant:
Flunk-STX-672.jpg
This card is actually a little closer to Last Gasp than it is a proper Doom Blade variant in most environments, but I like the fact that this can give -5/-5 or greater in the late game. This can realistically kill most or all major threats in a hypothetical cube.

ninja enabler. mana sink and life gain is interesting. exiles a lil much but whatever not unnecessary
valentindeanofthevein1.jpg

kinda like both sides even with the novel

plarggdeanofchaos.jpg

i do like Ghost of Ramirez DePietro

conspiracytheorist1.jpg

my kinda trash
excavatedwall.jpg

zephyrboots.jpg

obv elite spellbinder, sedgemoor witch, quandrix apprentice

magecraft cards seem weak with ral zareks static ability and not prowess which was already iffy
how many spells are there that copy in the set outside prisma. rebound wouldve been cool in the same set.

In case anyone is curious, there won't be a New Set, New Cube article for STX. For the first time in a long time, no particular theme of the set jumped out and grabbed my attention. Looking back, I got excited about things like snow in KHM, the Shrines in M21, or exploring mill's new tools in ZNR. So this isn't to say it was a bad set, I found it fine overall, just that nothing stood out to me enough to design a format around.

The set felt like an update to the enemy colors and a bit of an expansion to RW. And I'll leave it as that. An update. Go update your cubes with any of these cards that you're willing to take the time to read.

SO HAPPY the mothership has spoilers on a Saturday <3

Here are three cards I had to read twice (each.)

490217AB-94F8-49CE-A9E6-E799DE19539C.png0E5033A7-E00D-4078-8642-9DFEAFDFD221.pngC4DF6EC5-E0AA-4D8E-8310-492892FA3291.png

“1 or greater”
The Witherbloom spell can taget opponent’s creature.

Spoiler season for Strixhaven is official over. Now we wait for Tokens and the Commander spoilers.

I can't wait for Modern Horizons 2 :D

With a lot of gold cards, super complex mdfcs, a parasitic A+B mechanic and a flavor I dislike mostly, this set just wasn't for me or my cube. I'm probably just adding those boots.

I opened up the testing and includes thread!

There are so many great cards in this set, I implore everyone to give them a try. Especially the gold interactive pieces. A lot of people seem to be getting caught up on the wordiness of the casual commander cards and the somewhat daunting space requirement for learn and are missing all of the other amazing cube cards from this set. Don't sleep on this one, time will not pass it by...

I can't wait for Modern Horizons 2 :D

With a lot of gold cards, super complex mdfcs, a parasitic A+B mechanic and a flavor I dislike mostly, this set just wasn't for me or my cube. I'm probably just adding those boots.

No interest in the GU cards that care about lands in play? Seems very landfall adjacent.

No interest in the GU cards that care about lands in play? Seems very landfall adjacent.

One of them is interesting, but it's one that I ant to try on arena first.

04a81975-5f0e-4593-a2da-b9689f9a985f.jpg

Other than that, all of those cards either seem too low powered even for my list or are gold cards, and I only have 3 gold cards per guild, among which I try to encourage different playstyles. And Zimone just doesn't beat Tatyova.