Sets (STX) Strixhaven Testing/Includes Thread

This is a testing/includes thread. Post pictures or a text list using /c with what cards you plan to include and what cards you plan to test.
Including:

en_oeRQuq2E6e.png
en_dtzobOy5zh.png
en_MgD0aBSIZH.png
en_frvjnbBzh6.png
en_z4wwcPtcvl.png
en_2DNh1vSJit.png
en_nkR4wjeBhM.png
en_YKtrpGddjt.png

Testing:
en_w3NGlfCdid.png
en_hMqgRGwZIu.png
en_emgOLaifyf.png
en_2lOLoWlDya.png
en_g4jrpimvvV.png
en_qPk94UaiSZ.png
en_r2KbiGbiNh.png
en_klgao6cAFe.png
en_h73ex9bL2J.png
en_9Gk59P6XdZ.png
en_Fod0dWBGuh.png
en_YLBxEBkb5h.png

Just as an aside, I didn't include any of the lesson/learn cards I plan to test or include in my list, since there are a so many of them. and I don't know how they play yet. For my main cube, I think Learn could easily violate the "New mechanics can't draw too much attention to themselves" rule I've set. I'm waiting until I have play experience with the mechanic to decide exactly what I'm doing with it in my cube. If I don't find room for them in my main list, I'm definitely going to be including them in my 180 card peasant cube because they're just that fun.

Strixhaven is one of the best cube sets we've ever seen. It is stuffed to the gills with playable cards for every cube size and power level. Magecraft is a great mechanic both for it's raw power level and useful nature for supporting spells matter themes in cubes where that is relevant. Lesson/Learn cards are also way more powerful than a lot of people are giving them credit for. The only real downside to this set are the wordy, novel-length MDFCs and the excess of mediocre cards for commander, such as the Elder Dragon cycle.

As a whole, however, Strixhaven is an awesome design and it looks like an absolute blast to play. I haven't been this excited for a new set for a couple of years.

What are your plans for this set?
-GT

4d0566fd-3775-48f1-ba22-6e659558c3d3.jpg

Yes, all of these. AsI alreadysaid in the other thread, I feel very different than you about Strixhaven. Kaldheim and Z3ndikar weren't the best cube sets ever and yet had much more to offer for me than (I think so now) Strixhaven will have. I might change my mind about some cards after playing them in arena booster drafts, but I highly doubt I'll add more than 3 or 4 cards.

For me the best cube set in the last few years was Throne of Eldraine. I think that even gave me more new toys than Modern Horizons.

Elite-Spellbinder-STX-265.jpg

Shaile-Dean-of-Radiance-STX-265.jpg
(just gonna pretend it doesn't have a backside, though you're welcome to cast it, I'm here for the weird Oran-Rief, the Vastwood effect on a body)
en_frvjnbBzh6.png

and some combination of gold cards but I honestly have no clue which ones at the moment. I'm only playing 20, 2 per pair, so it's a tight contest. I don't like gold cards.

Pretty sparse this time around, but I'm a fan of each of these:

elitespellbinder1.jpg
prismaricommand1.jpg
sedgemoorwitch.jpg

Elite Spellbinder is a slam dunk that slots into W/x Humans and U/W Blink decks as a sweet disruptive card on curve with a decent body to apply pressure. It's got a splashy mana cost, is right on rate for its stats, and it's got the relevant human typing to synergize with the likes of Champion of the Parish, Thalia's Lieutenant and General Kudro of Drannith. I love the evasive body to attack from the air, the information gained from looking over an opponent's hand is underrated in W/x Aggro, and the ability to delay an on curve impact spell like a wrath for two turns is massive. The last white card I remember being this excited for was Thalia, Heretic Cathar and that's been an all-star for years now. High hopes for this one as a long time staple for me.

Prismari Command is getting swapped in for Electrolyze. Makes me kind of sad to be replacing a staple from the initial 360 design of my cube, but this card just does too much and synergizes with various themes too well. The damage can't be split, but I wasn't doing that very often with Electrolyze anyway. You're not immediately replacing it by drawing a card, but in exchange you get to dig deeper and improve your card quality. Finally, the ability to ramp up by one and/or have the utility to destroy an artifact is also excellent. This card just slots in extremely well in just about every possible U/R deck in my cube. Plays well with Daretti/Welder builds, Spellslinger, and even spicy Rielle, the Everwise decks. This is by far my favorite of the new commands.

Sedgemoor Witch looks like a solid card to me, like a black Monastery Mentor. Sure, it literally triggers off the same cards as Young Pyromancer, but being at 3 CMC and being a card that doesn't just slot into any decks in its colors, like Pyromancer does, gives this more Mentor vibes to me. It could be decently strong in something like U/B Control where you can follow it up with removal or even just firing off something like Ponder to make a body and gum up the board. I also like it for R/B decks with more burn spells to fire off at an opponent and even Stax-y builds with token fodder. At its base it's still just a 3/2 Menace with some targetted removal protection which means it's never really dead. I'll admit, it being a Human as well was probably the last bit I needed to tip it over into an inclusion for me. Looks good, we'll see how it fares matched up with the abundance of black 3-drops we have. Unfortunately we seem to get another impact card at that CMC every other set nowadays so time will tell how long this will stick around.

For me the best cube set in the last few years was Throne of Eldraine. I think that even gave me more new toys than Modern Horizons.

Same. It's either Throne or MH2 that have made the biggest impact since I first built my cube in 2014. After looking over the cards in my cube by set, a good solid set seems to give me around 3-5 cards that stick around long term and anything 7+ is usually a major impact set. And from a quick glance, these are the most high impact sets for me (not counting land inclusions):

Throne of Eldraine - 14
Theros Beyond Death - 11!?
Modern Horizons - 10
Eldritch Moon - 9
Dominaria - 8
Khans of Tarkir - 7
Dragons of Tarkir - 7

I'm more surprised by TBD sneaking in so high, I didn't realize that it had quite that many cards that have stuck around. The rest of the sets look about right. Even if I'm not remembering specific cards, I clearly recall those all being spoiler seasons that were really engaging and exciting for me.

I'm legitimately thinking I'll grab almost all of the Mystical Archive cards, or at least all of them that are affordable because holy snot they look so good.

Also, this set makes me want to figure out how to make multicolor cards playable. Specifically, I want to come up with a good way to incentivize people to run 2.5 colors pretty much on the nose because I now have at LEAST five cards per pairing that I want to run, more or less. Maybe I actually DO want to run a fetch/shock mana base?? Ugh.

Anyways, cards that I want to test:

Velomachus Lorehold
Radiant Scrollwielder
Semester's End
Zephyr Boots
Bayou Groff
Plumb the Forbidden
Killian, Ink Duelist
Umbral Juke
Galazeth Prismari
Baleful Mastery
Hall Monitor
Conspiracy Theorist
Flunk
Sedgemoor Witch
Clever Lumimancer
Go Blank
Quintorius, Field Historian
Thunderous Orator
Professor Onyx

Lots of goodies in the Mardu section, I guess. I think people are a little too down on the Dragons; both Velomachus Lorehold and Galazeth Prismari seem decent to me, one for having haste and the other for being decently cheap (he costs 3 mana at MOST for a 3/4 flier; how is that an EDH-only card? And if he lives there's a mana rock.) who enables some weird artifact things.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Same. It's either Throne or MH2 that have made the biggest impact since I first built my cube in 2014. After looking over the cards in my cube by set, a good solid set seems to give me around 3-5 cards that stick around long term and anything 7+ is usually a major impact set. And from a quick glance, these are the most high impact sets for me (not counting land inclusions):

Throne of Eldraine - 14
Theros Beyond Death - 11!?
Modern Horizons - 10
Eldritch Moon - 9
Dominaria - 8
Khans of Tarkir - 7
Dragons of Tarkir - 7

I'm more surprised by TBD sneaking in so high, I didn't realize that it had quite that many cards that have stuck around. The rest of the sets look about right. Even if I'm not remembering specific cards, I clearly recall those all being spoiler seasons that were really engaging and exciting for me.

These lists are always fun. It was pretty tricky to make my own list! Because I try to keep up with the current border, it runs a lot of reprints, even of relatively modern sets. For example, I recently replaced Mikaeus, the Lunarch with its Jumpstart reprint so it has the legendary frame. Anyway, I did some deep diving and filled in the original set for each card by hand in Excel so I could do a nice count. Pre-Strixhaven, my top 12 sets (all the sets with 10 or more inclusions) looks like this.

Throne of Eldraine - 27 (0 lands)
Zendikar Resurgent - 23 (8 lands)
Kaldheim - 17 (2 lands)
Ikoria - 17 (6 lands)
Modern Horizons 1 - 17 (7 lands)
Amonkhet - 15 (2 lands)
Theros Beyond Death - 14
Kaladesh - 13
Aether Revolt - 12
Ravnica - 12 (5 lands)
M20 - 11
War of the Spark - 11

I put the number of lands, excluding utility lands, in brackets, because I break singleton on a lot of land cycles, and on Prismatic Vista. I expected this to make a big difference, but only original Ravnica drops below 10 inclusions if you discount mana fixing. So, I can wholeheartedly agree that Throne of Eldraine was fantastic for cube :) I also love that my redesign with the current color wheel started with Kaladesh, and even though I pulled energy from my cube since, both Kaladesh and Aether Revolt still show up in this list.

I think Strixhaven might have a huge impact on my cube though, there are so many fantastic designs in this cube. I haven't counted yet, but I expect I am going to need two posts because there's an image cap of 20 :D Let's start with, for me, the most obvious one, though this mechanic seems to be wildly underrated. Right from the first card with this mechanic that was spoiled, I knew Learn & Lessons were a homerun, as long as the base of the learn spells was high enough. Now that we can see the entire set, I think it's safe to say that there are a wild number of them that are appropriate for the power level of a typical lower powered Riptidelab cube! One of the things I have been struggling with is giving white some way to attain card advantage. Not that I think white should have Divination equivalents as part of its color pie, but drawing cards is both fun, and lets you keep up with your opponent in a battle of attrition.

en_FAWpONVnkb.png
en_Py5ftX4WDU.png
en_iFpGJgqGCD.png

I think 3 out of the 4 white learn spells have a good base value in my cube. Professor of Symbology has an on curve body that tutors! I can't even! In white! I already run Ardenvale Tactician, and Study Break can basically be a second copy with some of the token making lessons, plus just imagine the interaction with Feather, the Redeemed if you picked up multiple lessons! The rare, finally, is just a very decent way to increase the power of your creatures over time, and it's quite a nice target to fetch with Zur the Enchanter. Really, I'm so happy with this set of cards! Don't sleep on Guiding Voice either, if you run a +1/+1 counters theme in your cube, that card feels less impressive than these three in my cube, but I think it can still be very good.

en_lsaXSs7Kw3.png
en_FYB7MeJJDv.png
en_MCg86ry5WA.png

Blue already is really good at drawing and discard in my cube, obviously the discard matters theme in {U/B} has something to do with that. What I like about learn in blue is that the base case of looting might sometimes be the correct call, depending on the pieces you have out on the board. Divide by Zero is the one I am most sceptic about, as it is one mana more expensive than Remand. You get some additional flexibility for that additional {1} mana though, since you can also use it to bounce a permanent. Dream Strix is a nice aggressive threat, and unlike previous illusions, it has a good reward for dying, either replacing itself or at the very worst looting. Pop Quiz seems like a fantastic draw spell! Either it's an instant speed Divination that tutors for one of the draws, or it's a Catalog, which is a decent enough fallback. Great card.

en_6yKcYTKnPf.png
en_kU0NKsJRO8.png
en_IP0cYqZkGQ.png

Eyetwitch is a nice enabler for my ninja archetype, being an evasive one drop that replaces itself on death. Hunt for Specimens and Poet's Quill (breath-taking art on the last one) basically read like fixed Demonic Tutors to me. Two mana to fetch the best answer from your sideboard seems like a fine deal, and in both cases you get something else out of it.

en_uCq5sQtxoB.png
en_tu5zYkIogl.png
en_JVZoCakBhz.png

Red has the most learn spells, but I'm frankly disappointed by the base on most of them. On the other hand, Igneous Inspiration is truly spectacular, and might actually be the best learn spell in the entire set. Enthusiastic Study and Retriever Phoenix look the most playable of the other four, so I will be testing them, but I'm a lot less enthusiastic about these two than on all of the other cards so far.

en_C5epkPwMjl.png
en_khMdKcxYq8.png
en_DNH9yVS8UD.png

Gnarled Professor is a sweet four drop, especially in my cube, where it curves naturally in combination with the 2 mv ramp I promote in green. That's also why I'm slightly hesitant on Field Trip though. As a Rampant Growth that draws a card, I understand why it is costed at three mana, and I think it's a very fair price to pay, but it does break with my pattern of 2 mv ramp spells, and I would have rather seen a Lay of the Land with learn. Still a good card though. Overgrown Arch looks like a great card to stymie aggro and cash in for something wild in the late game. Considering that {G/U} is a ramp pair in my cube, this naturally curves into some nice expensive lessons in Strixhaven once you've established some more defenses!

Oh boy, that's 15 cards already, and I haven't even addressed the lessons! Since there's more than 5, I guess it's time to make a new post!

For my Casual Champions Cube it looks like this

1) Modern Horizons 22
1) Zendikar Rising 22
2) Ravnica: City of Guilds 21
2) Onslaught 21
2) Theros Beyond Death 21
2) Throne of Eldraine 21
3) Eventide 18
3) Zendikar 18
4) Odyssee 17
5) Amonkhet 15

So these are the 10 most influencial sets for my cube. I knew thta MH1 was high, but I didn't know it was at 22 cards. However, I am shocked be the result for ZNR. I guess the land/nonland cards made up quite a bit now with eleven in my list. RAV as the large set of my all time favorite block was expected, as well as eldraine, which I love and has an mono color theme. Onslaught has quite a few morphs, so that's also not too big of a surprise. However, I have no idea how THB could end up with the same number. It kinda sneaked these in with a removal spell here, another saga there.

Eventide makes up the largest part of my enemy colored hybrids, zendikar is the origin of landfall, so both are expected as well. Odyssee was just a verysweet set with all the graveyard interactions, threshold and flashback. Amonkhet I didn't expect quite as high, but it makes sense with all the cool discard themed cards.

Honorable mention goes out to Kaldheim, which actually gave me 14 cards and really helped to manifest. Also to Alpha, ince I still cube 12 cards originally printed in magics very first set, not even counting all the one in my basic land box!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
On to the lessons! Since my color wheel is WBUGR, it's going to look a little wonky as far as Strixhaven includes are concerned. Looking at the colored lessons, there are definitely some very situational ones there. Before I go into individual cards though, there's one very important thing to realize. Lessons being situational is extremely fine! The important thing, when considering whether you want to include these cards, is if the learn spells are on rate for your cube. If they are, lessons are basically a free include! Of course they take up real estate in your cube, and cutting cards is hard, but think about the draft experience for a minute. Two of the best card types, historically, to pick up during a draft are lands and conspiracies. The reason is because neither of these take up a precious slot in your maindeck. Well, lands technically do, but they're not one of the ~23 nonland cards that form the core of your deck. Lands and conspiracies increase the density, or percentage if you will, of drafted cards with impact you can play. Consider a drafter who picks up only nonland, nonconspiracy cards. At the end of a draft, they will be able to include roughly half of their drafted cards (~23 out of 45) in their deck. Now consider someone who picked up five on color lands (mana fixing or utility) and two conspiracies. Suddenly you're looking at ~30 cards you can include, or 66% of your draft pool. Basically lands and conspiracies are free real estate for a drafter, since neither of them eat into your precious nonland slots. Now look at lessons, and see how similar these are. Again, it's important that the learn spells are on target for your power level, because these are the cards you need to include in your maindeck. In other words, these need to be part of those precious ~23 nonland slots in your draft deck. Lessons though don't. They sit in your sideboard, patiently waiting until you play a learn spell and their effect is situationally good. And if they aren't, you can always loot instead. You don't need to fetch a lesson. I think the learn/lesson mechanic is wonderful, and though I apprehend having to find the appropriate cuts, I am sure these cards will play so, so well.

en_yh4p4W4O4x.png
en_qPVu4AdBZH.png

Both of these seem conditionally great. Remember that all of the white learn spells fit into an aggressive shell; Academic Probation allows you to hit an additional time through a big, beefy blocker, without fear of retalliation. Reduce to Memory is a super flexible removal spell. Yes, you are giving your opponent a creature, but the spell exiles, so the thing you're removing is well and truly gone, and remember, free real estate. You might even be able to upgrade a useless trinket, say a Treasure token, of your own.

en_iSYTIKC8hr.png
en_CrhpaJGOXr.png

Again, I like both of these. I've actually tested P/T setting effects before, most recently Startling Development. While I found that these effects are in fact a bit too situational for maindeck inclusion, buffing a ninja to get in an extra saboteur trigger or force an awkward block was in fact a pretty sweet play. Mercurial Transformation has the additional option of shrinking an opponent's creature, and while it's a sorcery, that still may be useful. Teachings of the Archaics I find very interesting. The precondition looks a bit awkward, but I think this will be really great in tempo-oriented decks that run a lot of bounce effects.

en_1Qhy6ERUds.png
en_kk03roMIdr.png

I run a mere 7 planeswalkers in my cube, and only two of those are black. I do, however, run four of the five Magic Origins dfc planeswalkers. It looks like there's not a lot of targets for this spell, but let me reiterate, lessons are free real estate! You can include this in your sideboard as a silver bullet to fetch when you do encounter one (or want to reanimate one yourself), and not feel bad about it at all! Necrotic Fumes is kind of a reverse Reduce to Memory. Instead of giving your opponent an extra creature, you are removing one of your own. Obviously it targets only creatures and planeswalkers as well, but this is a nice little option from the sideboard.

en_JDjsuartUe.png
en_1Yk7J6cxcn.png

Illuminate History is a solid 3/2 that cycles away unneeded cards in the late game, and Start from Scratch is another narrow removal spell that you'ld feel bad about running maindeck, but love to tutor for if your opponent happens to have a juicy target.

en_H8WMuTLTnO.png
en_NcoOqTRDwC.png

Hey, green lets you tutor for a tutor! I love the little life gain attached to this spell as well. Containment Breach is another narrow removal spell that will feel great to fetch from the sideboard if you need it.

en_chsDhckyBD.png
en_GXRun8ZtDR.png
en_tEkXvzo05w.png

You'll notice I included only three of the four, but the only reason for that is that I don't run {U/R} and {B/G} in my cube. All five of these are great fetch targets, though at different times in the game. Like Elemental Summoning, Fractal Summoning is a lesson you tutor for in the late game once you're ready to deploy a big, dumb body. As I said before, Simic is a ramp color pair in my cube, so while Fractal Summoning looks underwhelming on the surface, I could easily see this making a 5/5 or bigger in the late game, and we all know beefy beatsticks can sometimes just win you the game. Inkling Summoning and Spirit Summoning on the other hand are superb follow-ups for the cheaper learn spells in white and black that let you curve out another threat on the next turn. I love these. While I can't run Pest Summoning, it too is a great early lesson to tutor for, though defensive in nature rather than aggressive.

en_r5W8KMdS4M.png
en_28Woz5eImR.png
en_89D4rys44Y.png
en_1mwkI29wNU.png
en_ulaEUwpgLg.png

All of these are good. That's right. All of these are good! At first I was thinking Expanded Anatomy was too situational, but the thing is, there is no such thing as too situational for a lesson. You tutor for them when they're useful, and they don't take up any space in your maindeck. As long as there are going to be board states where two +1/+1 counters are going to make a difference, Expanded Anatomy will sometimes be the correct card to tutor for, and guess what, those board states do occur! Likewise, Introduction to Annihilation seems like a very inefficient removal spell. It even has your opponent draw a card! It's colorless though, so even {G/U} will be able to play it, and again, it doesn't take up any space in the maindeck. It's a concept that's hard to wrap your head around, but these really are free includes. From there on it only gets better, as Introduction to Prophecy is an expensive Preordain, but Preordain is a very, very good card, and it's still worth it at three mana and no maindeck slot. Environmental Sciences fixes your mana and lets you make your land drops. Lastly, Mascot Exhibition is just a solid 9/7 in stats across three bodies. It's quite horrendous as a maindeck card, but perfectly fine to tutor up in the late game. I truly love all of these!

I am going to test the heck out of these (once my testing software can cope with this mechanic :D). If it plays anywhere close to as good as I expect it to be, I definitely want to expand the Summoning cycle to my other two guilds, {U/B} and {R/G}, so I might as well include them in my testing! Here's to finding good summoner art! :)

Whew! These are long! I will have to find time to write up a post about the other potential includes another time. It's Easter after all, so I want to spend some time with my family ;)

Great read Onde!

I can’t wait to read what you have for the non-Learn, non-Lesson cards as well. I also look forward to your custom Dimir and Gruul pet summoning spells Lessons.

I'm actually really surprised to see this but not
en_w3NGlfCdid.png

In my mind, they're basically the same card (a one drop best in some flavor of Jeskai spells-matter, with different upsides of flying/better with multiple spells) - have you considered it?
I have, and I do plan to keep an eye on it, but in my mind white already has a bunch of decent 1 drops while blue needs all the help it can get in that department.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Great read Onde!

I can’t wait to read what you have for the non-Learn, non-Lesson cards as well. I also look forward to your custom Dimir and Gruul pet summoning spells Lessons.

Alright, here we go with the rest of the set!

en_m79EgyWWTm.png
en_3yAeTqLhxL.png
en_jZhiwrCHSD.png

Elite Spellbinder is a sweet design from PVDdR! I like that this attacks with a Flickerwisp body, and the tax stays if Paulo leaves the field.
The other two cards both tap into my combat tricks / heroic package. Leonin Lightscribe buffs your whole team when you cast a combat trick (or a removal spell), and Mavinda, Students' Advocate lets you recast all of them. Especially great friends with Feather, the Redeemed, as you can choose which exile effect to apply. This means that if you have both on the battlefield, you can cast a combat trick from your graveyard using Mavinda's ability, then return it to your hand at end of turn using Feather's ability. Sweet!

en_oeRQuq2E6e.png

Symmetry Sage is a 2/2 flyer for {U}. That's pretty sweet. I always like cheap enablers for my ninja's as well. The floor is pretty abyssmal, but the ceiling is way playable, so I think this needs to be tested at least. Honorable mention goes to Multiple Choice, which is a funny design. Unfortunately, while I do try to cost my cantrips at 2 mv, the X=2 option is really bad, and the X=4 option feels bad when you get everything at X=5. I think the balance is a little off on this one.

en_h2tQtngbTy.png
en_frvjnbBzh6.png
en_7BkrJAAEXK.png

I love the art on Go Blank. Please let Wylie do more art in the future, WotC! I don't think I'm going to test this, as I'm not in the market for a Mind Rot variant, but I wanted to get that off my chest :)
Sedgemoor Witch is a great little package. Young Pyromancer in black, how exciting! While this version costs a mana more, it has better stats, pseudo-evasion, pseudo-protection, and it makes better tokens! Instant win in my book!
Unwilling Ingredient is an unlikely candidate for testing, but it plays well in every darn theme I run in {U/B}! Ninja's, discard matters, and self-mill all should like this little toad. While it isn't the biggest threat, it feels mad glue-y.

en_0hFDtprcEc.png
en_sYSsooi2P3.png

10 damage for 8 mana feels like a blowout. If anything this feels like it might be too good!
I think I like Frenzied Goblin better than Hall Monitor, but this is a good pun ladies and gentlemen ;)

en_cLplpfdTP8.png

Bookwurm (besides being another good pun) is quite a resilient threat. I like that! Cool for self-mill and ramp, pretty great finisher!

en_2ckkBBc8vw.png
en_5bYLdVMKmB.png
en_9pM6biY6E1.png
en_h73ex9bL2J.png

Blot Out the Sky looks like a great mana sink for {W/B}. It's pretty good at X=2 already, and only scales up from there. Neat!
I'm not so sure about Hofri Ghostforge, but notably he survives Wildfire, which means I could at least test him.
Humilate might replace the Gerrard's Verdict that's still lingering in my cube, or who knows, might even go alongside it! Two mana targeted discard is playable I think, and a +1/+1 counter is nice upside.
Killian, Ink Duelist is an uncommon I'm pretty enthusiastic about. That body looks just so, so good! Also, while heroic is mainly in RW, this lets it branch out a bit, plus it makes your removal spells a lot cheaper!

en_YKtrpGddjt.png
en_6OLKhzVmxT.png
en_FdRGj6aNKu.png
en_XEZWLElCgu.png

Quandrix Command is about a 100 times more exciting for me than Lorehold Command (who's aggro-friendly options are completely mismatched with its casting cost). The first and third ability in particular are going to cause some combat blowouts, I expect. While the other two options are going to crop up way less often, it's great to have some additional flexibility!
While aggro is the dominant archetype in {r/w], it is possible to go a more controlling route, and Reconstruct History seems like a great "draw" spell in those decks. Even returning a wrath effect and a burn spell is going to be huge, and if you can fit in some artifact creature you're already looking at a Boros Harmonize (in the late game obviously, the cards do have to hit your graveyard first). There's certainly some potential there!
I don't like that it can't hit players, but Rip Apart is really efficient and flexible removal!
The only dragon that looks remotely playable for my cube (because I don't run {U/R}) is Shadrix Silverquill, but what a beauty it is. It survives Wildfire, and pressures like a boss. If you play it pre-combat, you can have them draw an extra card and lose 1 life, plus make a token or put a +1/+1 counter on every creature you control, then do the same on the next turn and deal a total of 10 damage if they don't deal with it. That's quite heavy!

en_Fod0dWBGuh.png
en_mz8p6zUQ5Z.png

Unlike Quandrix Command, this is a command where I expect every option to be useful at some point. I was lukewarm on this after it got spoiled, comparing it to the slightly lackluster Ojutai's Command, which it sort of shares three effects with, but it looks a lot better in this color combination, and the +3/+3 and flying is way more useful than gaining 4 life for a color that plays on the board in my cube. All of the other three abilities seem also more relevant. Card draw is less readily available in {W/B} than in {W/U}. The creatures are, on average, smaller and thus you are more likely to find a target for that tiny reanimation. Lastly, while countering a creature and edicting one are "similar" (in that they get rid of a creature), being able to deploy and not having to keep open mana is important for this color combination. This command has grown on me, and I expect it will do much better in testing than I originally anticipated, and maybe better still than even now I can intuit.
Unearth on a {R/W} body?! What fortune is this!? Venerable Warsinger looks like a formidable threat, and a g r e a t inclusion in any aggressive Boros deck. Take my money WotC! Especially j u i c y with cards like Heartfire Immolator.

We're almost finished, but alas, I shall have to delve into a final post...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Fine! Fourth and last post! And to think that people said this set has nothing to offer! :confused:

en_MyDYdcek6E.png
en_jNrBL2Ll2N.png

Campus Guide is an innocuous little artifact. While it doesn't provide card advantage, like Pilgrim's Eye or Skittering Surveyor, {2} is 50% less than {3}, and it actually has on curve stats. Also, I run an environment where people are expected to more than occasionally stumble into a deck with 3+ colors. This little guy might do some work!
I'm always on the lookout for fair but interesting equipment, and Zephyr Boots is a) affordable, b) provides evasion, and c) offers looting! That's a nice little package there to either allow aggressive decks to push through some final points of damage while rummaging through their deck, or to give {U/B} discard some legt. Excuse me, boots!

en_oFCpCFhe73.png
en_xiZoNMXENn.png

The "eight or more lands" subtheme is a pipe dream in my humble opinion, but Augmenter Pugilist actually has a fair base body, and dfc's always merit another look! Echoing Equation on the backside isn't often going to be the sensible option of the two sides, but it has some serious blowout potential, and unlike Mirrorweave doesn't care about legendary status. Turn everything into a Zacama, Primal Calamity!!!

en_RteQAPDZgZ.png
en_2YD7c9WYqX.png

At first I thought this might give off a weird signal to my drafters, since {B/R} isn't a supported color in my cube, but just as it works in this set, I think it might work in mine. Extus, Oriq Overlord is a very fine body with a great magecraft trigger, and Awaken the Blood Avatar basically makes it a Mardu tricolor spell. Pretty sweet!

en_0vyv9qWTII.png
en_ve9HWdX1cg.png

Flamescroll Celebrant is a nice little aggro body with a good mana sink. My worry is that it's too fragile and too easily blocked. Revel in Silence is quite a nasty surprise for your opponent if you are beating them down and they are planning on a mass removal spell or a big blocker to thwart your relentless aggro play. All in all the package might be too little though.

en_I9TcdObPk1.png
en_BZEYKlchnV.png

So, a 2/2 Merfolk Looter with additional upside already looks quite appealing to me. The main selling point here is that the first ability doesn't cost any mana! Augusta, Dean of Order also looks pretty fine, with its teamwide anthem / untap trickery. It actually lets you use tap abilities twice!

en_fmsZRQ9TZ6.png
en_mC4B98pR4Q.png

I don't know if a color-agnostic Oran-Rief, the Vastwood on a stick is going to make the cut very often, but the backside also looks pretty good. Embrose, Dean of Shadow kills any X/1, has a good body for the cost, and provides some additional card advantage as well. Pretty cool that it can trade a 1/1 token on your side for a card as well :)

And that's all folks! I'm looking at ~60 cards this time around o_O

I'm not liking the set so far. Multicolour focus, two-faced cards that have nothing to do with each other and a spellslingers theme might be fun in other formats but there's little that. So far the only cards that have caught my eye are:

Elite Spellbinder
Callous Bloodmage
Conspiracy Theorist

en_iSYTIKC8hr.png

I've actually tested P/T setting effects before, most recently Startling Development. While I found that these effects are in fact a bit too situational for maindeck inclusion, buffing a ninja to get in an extra saboteur trigger or force an awkward block was in fact a pretty sweet play. Mercurial Transformation has the additional option of shrinking an opponent's creature, and while it's a sorcery, that still may be useful.
That one's a miss for me. No sense getting an extra hit in with a 4/4 Octopus with no abilities. All the fun saboteurs need to keep their actual saboteuring!

(It's still probably fine since it's a Lesson, but it doesn't do the things that I'd actually like to be doing with it, you know?)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That one's a miss for me. No sense getting an extra hit in with a 4/4 Octopus with no abilities. All the fun saboteurs need to keep their actual saboteuring!

(It's still probably fine since it's a Lesson, but it doesn't do the things that I'd actually like to be doing with it, you know?)

Oh shit, I read past the "loses all abilities" part. Oh well, just donk your opponent for 4 then, or turn a big blocker into a 1/1 so you can get that saboteur trigger anyway ;)