General The Cube Contest

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Going to submit either some version of this BW v RUG color imbalanced, dupe and trip heavy, morph headache: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/62443

or

some french vanilla, low-on-card-advantage ode to Shandalar (with 2x Moxen and a hefty amount of ABU-era spells).

Leaning toward the first since I've worked on it a lot already, but I think a well-designed, Mox-wild, non-powered-cube entry would have a good chance at making finalist.

Is it alright if I steal this idea? I am terrible with coming up with ideas, and wanted to submit something for the competition. I also agree that a low-powered cube with a bit of spice could make a finalist. I have already put your brainstorm ideas into a cubetutor list and hopefully I can flesh it out during the week.

For some reason I feel like heavily colour skewed cubes may have some issues becoming one of the finalists, but in saying that the cube does look pretty sweet, I mean any format that makes Worm Harvest a great card is great in my book :D

Is it alright if I steal this idea? I am terrible with coming up with ideas, and wanted to submit something for the competition. I also agree that a low-powered cube with a bit of spice could make a finalist. I have already put your brainstorm ideas into a cubetutor list and hopefully I can flesh it out

No reservations on my end; go forth and design! Glad to see the idea grow. If you stick with Cloudpost package, living weapon equips with their high equip costs should fit in nicely.

Some interesting things about the 540-card MTGO vintage cube:

69 lands
71 "colorless" artifacts (included phyrexian mana here)
201 creatures (didn't include any token-makers or creature lands)
Appears to have 51 multicolored cards (i didn't actually count them all) and ~70 of each color (quickly counted one color)

Mana cost breakdown is as follows:
  • 67 1cmc cards
  • 106 2cmc cards
  • 98 3cmc cards
  • 75 4cmc cards
  • 125 5+cmc cards
  • rest is lands and 0cmc (aka prob. lands in Vintage cube)

DYK safra is relatively secretly building a cube with 30 bounce lands. Girl gone cray cray or supervillian vixen supreme?

#reddittech

From people who hang around on Reddit or wherever else cube is discussed, does anyone have any feel for how many entrants we might expect? I haven't really seen anything on a glance over at MTGSalvation but I could easily be looking in the wrong place.

I'd expect ~500 submissions, out of which ~90% would be cubes people already had and just threw there because why not.

Cubing is hard.

The MTGSalvation cube forum really does seem slow lately. Couldn't find any lists posted there or on reddit.

GLHF. And thanks for the reminder that I should submit as well! Tinkering is for the beebles.
I made the leap when I re-read the contest entry and they stated that R&D would work with the finalists to refine their lists before going on MTGO. So they're going to be looking at the structure and ideas within the cube itself rather than the exact 540 cards. And the structure and basic ideas isn't going to change so I might as well just throw it out there.

And the structure and basic ideas isn't going to change so I might as well just throw it out there.

Solid reasoning. They will most likely use a bird's eye view to flag contenders and then the wotc sadness magic will kick in to "balance" the finalists. I was most concerned with my duplicate and triplicate choices, but who knows how wizards' lens will see into that tinted box.

Did you write a lot to accompany your entry?

Not a lot. Here's the entry:

The Sriracha Cube

No gimmicks, just good gameplay. The goal is for every pack someone is going to say “Ooh, that’s spicy.” This cube is an adaptation of the cube I’ve been running for over two years now. This cube’s number one goal is creating exciting games of Magic. Each color has several archetypes that interweave and overlap in interesting ways. Synergy is more important than raw power level. To achieve my goals, I have broken singleton on a small handful of cards. That way, aggro decks are supported, but they are more interesting than the single-minded mono-red decks that plague the Legacy and Vintage cubes.

Archetypes:
Humans (Wgb)
Tokens (WRb)
Spells Matter (URw)
Sacrifice (RB)
+1/+1 Counters (WG)
Self-Mill (UGb)
Zombies (Bu)
Spirits (Wub)
Blink (UW)
Dredge (BG)
Artifacts (UR)
Ramp (Gr)
Lands (Grbw)
Madness (RB)
Reanimator (Bw)

In addition to these archetypes, there are a number of one-off build arounds and combo pieces to add variety. Try Land Tax + Goblin Trenches on for size. Or Blasphemous Act with Boros Reckoner, Soulfire Grandmaster, or Swans of Bryn Argoll. Or Hammer of Purphoros and Titania, Protector of Argoth. There are a lot more in here.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Had no idea what I was doing. Just smashed a pile of ideas together (originating from Chris's Low-powered Mox suggestion) and came out with an artifact-based themed cube.

It is quite all over the place (don't blame the samurai on me, that was Chris's suggestion) but I just kept on throwing things in that could work or combo with other cards. Heck, I am really happy with the Leveler addition. I thought it was sweet tech. If anyone has any words of wisdom before I do my writeup I would be glad to hear them :D

Here is the pile. Enjoy.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I've been a bit AWOL recently. An illness in the family has kind of drained my energy for hobbie-time as of late. I submitted my entry today (thanks Kirb for the reminder). Fingers crossed!

How many total entries did we put up? Not a lot of discussion on reddit or twitter about it, so i wonder how many total submitted.

I feel like we had about 10 from here? Maybe slightly less.

I did see a WotC employee on twitter say that they couldn't respond to each submission individually to confirm because there were too many to do so, I'm not sure how many that would be though.