General The Cube Contest

I also wasn't contacted. A shame, imo, I actually felt okay about my chances.

Jason - can we do a front page article about the designs from the forum? I'd volunteer to write it.

Not contacted and haven't seen any mention of contact around the usual haunts. WotC has a Oct 16 announce date iirc.

Also, safra, you da best

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I would think that people would only get contacted on a weekday. This makes me feel like they will send out the emails this week, as they shouldn't have contacted anyone yet. Don't give up hope guys (and gals)!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
That's weeks from now. Hmm... it might not even be timely then. Anyone free this week / end? Chris Taylor? Persons?

I'm probably available, but I'll be honest I haven't read the thread or paid attention to the cube contest at all :p (Not like I could really participate)

Maybe that's a good thing?

I'd do a podcast about the contest or lands but I'm at GP London this weekend so timing might not work out.

e: also not contacted by the way

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I'd do a podcast about the contest or lands but I'm at GP London this weekend so timing might not work out.

e: also not contacted by the way

GP London?? Super! Who's going? I'll come meet some more riptards.

edit: if anybody's going, pm me your real name (if it's not obvious). Then I can just wander in and look at the pairings.

Is it hubris to think that if no one on Riptide has been contacted, the finalists haven't been selected yet?

I don't know how wizards is going to go through all the entries, but I worry that a lot of riptide cubes will be a bit too out there at first glance and may get passed over. I can't imagine they have the time to explore the intricacies of all the entries.

It'd be pretty lame if they set out criteria that asked for "a cube that's different than our existing offerings" and "a novel play experience" and then just cut anything that doesn't look like their existing cubes. I do have a bad feeling that the finalists will be some garbage tribal cube nonsense or else a block-specific cube.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is it hubris to think that if no one on Riptide has been contacted, the finalists haven't been selected yet?
In Dutch we have a very appropriate proverb for questions like this: "de vraag stellen is hem beantwoorden", which translates to "asking the question is answering it" ;)

In all seriousness though, the RTL submissions are probably but a fraction of all the cubes they received, and we certainly aren't the only people with good ideas on how to craft an engaging draft format. Still, it would be very cool to see some of the RTL submissions punch through to the next round!

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I posted this in discord, but when I was talking to Chris (MTGO) we were coming up with who the finalists will probably be. Here was my answer...

Set-themed Cube (Innistrad is by far the best option)
Heavy Mechanic Based Cube (Gold, Tribal, Graveyard, Artifact, etc.)
Another Heavy Mechanic Based Cube
Peasant/Pauper Cube (I feel peasant is more likely as it gets hard to get 540 decent commons)

Does anything think Wizards will vary from this formula at all?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I just secretly hope mine wins so I can stream drafting it errday. But somebody please cut the suspense and tell me the selections have been made.