General The Cube Contest

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I guess we'll have to go back to forum drafts for our cube fix.

I am disappointed not to see something super off the wall as a finalist. The Twisted Colour Pie one is the closest but I'm not sure even that goes very far.

I wonder how many cards different the Pro Tour cube actually is from the legacy cube.
Can somebody compute this please?

Laz

Developer
I wonder how many cards different the Pro Tour cube actually is from the legacy cube.

We have the power!

There is actually a lot more differences than one would expect, though many aren't meaningful, i.e Savannah Lions over Isamaru. There are also a lot of divergences to accommodate many of the horrific inclusions.

EDIT: Bear in mind the MTGO Legacy Cube list is 600 cards. Not sure if that is right, or I found the wrong cube on cubetutor.

Hey there lab rats, longtime lurker here.

I share your disappointment with the selected entries (though the idea for the Twisted Cube is not that different from my submission), and was wondering if everyone here who joined would share their list, preferably in one place? I was really looking forward to seeing some cool submissions and getting some ideas for my present and future Cubes.

This is almost enough to make a man cry.
RIP Legendary cube. You died too young and taught WotC all the wrong lessons. :(

I wonder if I prefer the Legendary cube to all of the finalists. At a glance, I definitely prefer it to the PT cube.

Now, I *really* want to play my Eldrazi Domain deck from the forum draft. Got caught up in contest hype and didn't appreciate what I already have!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if I prefer the Legendary cube to all of the finalists. At a glance, I definitely prefer it to the PT cube.

Now, I *really* want to play my Eldrazi Domain deck from the forum draft. Got caught up in contest hype and didn't appreciate what I already have!
We can still do this. Also, starting tomorrow, James is staying at my place for a few nights. Cube content time?

We have the power!

There is actually a lot more differences than one would expect, though many aren't meaningful, i.e Savannah Lions over Isamaru. There are also a lot of divergences to accommodate many of the horrific inclusions.

EDIT: Bear in mind the MTGO Legacy Cube list is 600 cards. Not sure if that is right, or I found the wrong cube on cubetutor.

214/540 which is ~40% overlap.

My least favourite aspect of cube design is when the designers go too deep on archetypes and the cube is basically several prebuilt decks shuffled together and the drafting process is putting those 10 decks back together, but I never expected it to be so literal.

Hey so I'm the dude that designed the peasant cube and I'm kinda doing the whole social media/magic site push for votes. Cause I have no shame.

Skimmed the last page or so and couple of things:
1.) I do have a lot of experience with peasant cube but not this exact list. My original list (6+ years ago) was 540 but has been paired down to 360 over the years. This list is a modification of that list. All my data comes from versions of that 360 over the past 18ish months when I started tracking data. I make cuts based on experience, suggestions, and data. My poster child for data driven cuts is Simic Signet.
2.) Yeah this cube is singleton. I'm not opposed to breaking singleton I just didn't for this.
3.) I'm just as shocked as a lot of you seem to be that I was selected. This cube is fun and a good draft environment but it isn't unique or revolutionary at all. There's a little spice in there and I think I have a solid feel on what works and doesn't in peasant (notice the no real support for a combo reanimator deck). I describe this as Limited+ where I call most "legacy" style cubes Constructed-.

If you have any questions or suggestions or anything....yeah that's why I signed up and am posting. I'm also convinced that either my cube or the twisted cube should win depending on what people want. The PT cube is obviously hot garbo. I offer the most non-linear redraftable environment. The twisted cube is the most unique and creative and probably cool for a small number of drafts.
Hey, just so you know I bear the finalists absolutely zero ill will. And to be fair, your list looks like the most polished with actual play testing behind it, and looks like it'd be actually fun to play instead of a goofy theme excersize that drives me nuts.

I'm just upset at WotC. I got really, really excited for this contest as a way for the community to show off their design chops. I didn't expect to win, but I did expect to see some interesting and innovative lists to at the very least steal some ideas from. Instead it looks like WotC handed the whole contest off to one mid-level guy with little developer experience and he largely went off of names he recognized. It feels like a betrayal of trust.

In any case, thanks for posting here.
Wharblegarble. Tempted to write an article, but I don't know if something so negative will get published.

Maybe a "thinking outside the fube" piece is the best way to approach the topic.

Also, terminus, good luck! Would love to see a big post on your cube in the blogs sub forum.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Hey there lab rats, longtime lurker here.

I share your disappointment with the selected entries (though the idea for the Twisted Cube is not that different from my submission), and was wondering if everyone here who joined would share their list, preferably in one place? I was really looking forward to seeing some cool submissions and getting some ideas for my present and future Cubes.

Welcome! Your avatar is dope.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Hey so I'm the dude that designed the peasant cube and I'm kinda doing the whole social media/magic site push for votes. Cause I have no shame.

Skimmed the last page or so and couple of things:
1.) I do have a lot of experience with peasant cube but not this exact list. My original list (6+ years ago) was 540 but has been paired down to 360 over the years. This list is a modification of that list. All my data comes from versions of that 360 over the past 18ish months when I started tracking data. I make cuts based on experience, suggestions, and data. My poster child for data driven cuts is Simic Signet.
2.) Yeah this cube is singleton. I'm not opposed to breaking singleton I just didn't for this.
3.) I'm just as shocked as a lot of you seem to be that I was selected. This cube is fun and a good draft environment but it isn't unique or revolutionary at all. There's a little spice in there and I think I have a solid feel on what works and doesn't in peasant (notice the no real support for a combo reanimator deck). I describe this as Limited+ where I call most "legacy" style cubes Constructed-.

If you have any questions or suggestions or anything....yeah that's why I signed up and am posting. I'm also convinced that either my cube or the twisted cube should win depending on what people want. The PT cube is obviously hot garbo. I offer the most non-linear redraftable environment. The twisted cube is the most unique and creative and probably cool for a small number of drafts.

Do you have any CT lists? I would like to draft your 360 too. I'm hoping you win as you seem to have put the most care in your submission.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Maybe this is their way of illustrating how integral they are to magic's success. If fans were in charge limited would look like this drivel, arent you glad things aren't like that?

Maybe this is their way of illustrating how integral they are to magic's success. If fans were in charge limited would look like this drivel, arent you glad things aren't like that?

But the issue with that, is that there are fans who have spent a large amount of time and effort carefully curating draft environments (ie. peeps on this site, and probably elsewhere). So the disappointment stems not from "wow there were no good entries because fans suck" but from "wow the entires they selected weren't good because we know some entries didn't suck"

That only works if they buy into the premise that Wizards selected the best 4 entries as the finalists, which means they would have to already believe that Wizards has a good understanding of cube design.

I will say this much: probably their curation process was awful. I delayed announcing a winner to my cube contest once because looking through a bunch of lists is just miserable.

Yeah, properly going through a cube list and evaluating if it's good or just average takes at least an hour. A proper curation would have been a full time job for a few people over the last weeks, if it happened, and I doubt much it did.

I wonder if the famous people were favored in some way when prioritizing what lists to look at, which seems super likely considering the finalists.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
And I mean hey, it's certainly worth giving andy a ring about. If we're this mad, other people are probably at least curious what the cube community thinks about it, and sperling's gotten away with much more scathing articles.

Worst case if you're worried about continued employment at channel fireball, get CML to run it :p

If it's a reasoned article - something your articles tend to be - that doesn't come off too salty, CFB should run it. There has to be room for reasonable criticism in what amounts to MTG journalism.

i checked out mtg sally's thread about the finalists and here are their reactions, btw:

-wtwlf is, ell oh ell, praising the design of Klug's PT Cube and saying he did something similar. "By far my favorite submission...[it's] fun to draft and has a lot of historical significance to it. Newer players can draft decks within the cube and then research the decks they came from, finding out more about the history of Magic, its players and the decks that made Magic history" (i for one sure value this over replayability ahahaha)
-nobody else likes the PT Cube
-the contest feels like a sham slash popularity contest
-the lists submitted by the pros should not have become finalists and likely wouldn't have in a blind selection process