Card/Deck The Simic Combine

The design vs. the actual champion is mostly just a fun non-sequitir. Thresh as an mtg character would be either Mardu or Grixis. He's a sadist who keeps tortured souls in his lantern and drags others in with a chain scythe.
But anyway. One thing i like about the Quirion Dryad/Managorger Hydra/Lorescale Coatl mechanics is that they play really well in Prowess-style decks without feeling like just so much more Prowess. I'd love to see more designs in that kind of space.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The design vs. the actual champion is mostly just a fun non-sequitir. Thresh as an mtg character would be either Mardu or Grixis. He's a sadist who keeps tortured souls in his lantern and drags others in with a chain scythe.
But anyway. One thing i like about the Quirion Dryad/Managorger Hydra/Lorescale Coatl mechanics is that they play really well in Prowess-style decks without feeling like just so much more Prowess. I'd love to see more designs in that kind of space.

Ah, okay. Well, at one point I did have a UG walker that was pretty clearly just Snape from the art, so this can't be worse than that was :p

I think if I'm gonna do more Dryad spells I want them to be less niche in their trigger. Managorger hydra is great, but since it triggers on your opponents spells as well you barely need to do any work before it's a significant threat, which makes it less of a support card for this archetype, and more just a good card (Not that that's all bad)

Quarion Dryad not getting a counter for half (+/- variance) of the spells in your deck is a big downside.

And as with the origional draft of that UG land, I want to keep this theme in UG, and the more prowess-y these cards get, the more they tend to sound less like UG cards :p

I wonder if theres something to be had in a cheap buyback style card that people would actually play.
Like Mystic Speculation, but is that card any good if you don't have Managorger Hydra in play?

That's a pretty interesting line though. It'll probably always end up in the hands of the prowess/heroic player though so, one or two might be enough?

most of these cards are pretty awful though.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I think it's a missed opportunity they never made an artifact creature called the Simic Combine Harvester

index~~element21.jpg

Currently, I've got:

But I've also found that UG by itself doesn't happen that much in my Cube. It's very rare that UG isn't paired with red or black (RUG/BUG) in a deck, but 3-color decks are very common here. The problem is that the RUG decks are really RGu decks and the BUG decks are really BGu decks, meaning the Simic gold cards are splashed for value rather than being the focal point of the strategy. Which, to be fair, is because I haven't tried to do anything in UG outside of "value goodstuff".

I currently run these, aiming for ramp and disruptive control but tempo decks happen as well with Snake/Edric.

Prophet of Kruphix makes me want to throw up

I kinda want to run Wood Sage but I know that's a really bad idea and it would only ever end up in a Laboratory Maniac deck

Also tempted by packing Voidslime, Mystic Snake, and Plasm Capture so there's a really strong incentive to go {U}{G} (access to more counters)

Altered Ego, Master Biomancer, and Ezuri, Claw of Progress have been on my mind a lot (not necessarily as a cohesive package put more as a bit steaming dump of value) but they're probably not super well oriented for my environ...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Wood Sage sounds super gimmicky. I have a lot of top of library manipulation, but even still, you need the cards to be functional on their own. The "regular case scenario" for that card is super bad, I think.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Aether mutation is amazing if you can support it. Edric and mystic snake are my two favorites otherwise. UG tends to be about using blue spells to force big pumped green dudes in for lethal. That tends to minimize the effects of not having good hard removal.

Self mill is good too, but thats more of a really fun BUG deck, as it tends to be slower and more controlling.

Also to answer the question

I think I'd run Shardless Agent over something, probably Kiora, if I had one but I haven't got around to picking it up yet.

Also I'm the only one running Coiling Oracle? That card is gas!