Card/Deck Vamps

CML

Contributor
Did you forget the Legacy part of the Legacy Cube? Demonic Tutor's not legal. (Neither is Necropotence for that matter.)

woops, another unnecessary design restriction

might as well change the name because the experience of playing the cube couldn't be further from legacy

though the vintage cube does evoke its namesake in terms of one-sided games and faux-difficult decisions

T3EaVxf.png

including undraftable cards is a good solution to the problem of too many undraftable cards

e: to be fair he also calls a control/combo black section "a plausible direction to try" but then also says black aggro is the biggest challenge in cube design, aha dang dude have you tested gravecrawlers

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
T3EaVxf.png

including undraftable cards is a good solution to the problem of too many undraftable cards
Yeah. That comment made no sense whatsoever if you actually think even a second about what he's saying.

"Federer will use mousetrap to play tennis instead of racket from now on. Change > Staleness."

"New York closes metro, opens citywide whirlpool network. Change > Staleness."

"Onderzeeboot using charred wood instead of pencil. Change > Staleness."

"KFC switches to pork. Change > Staleness."

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
CML, please don't remind me that Jeb & Hillary will be our only choices next year. I really dislike this Idiocracy remake.
Ha! Excellent movie! Would make for a very, very sad reality though. Maybe you guys should just have your country renamed to Dynasty Land or something :p

Maybe if your cube wasn't a million cards you wouldn't have to reach so far beyond the two gravecrawler alternatives you've already printed for the makings of an archetype. These people love their stupid braids decks, I really don't get it. On this subject does anyone else feel like the pox deck is kinda poisonous given that it shoves black decks deeper into their BBB corner? Is there some sort of poor-taste segregation joke I shouldn't be making here?

Honestly I kinda liked that I could get carnophages at any point in a draft and have something to fall back on if I took anything that wasn't build-around-me in the first picks.

I'm also sorta floored by the fact that the geniuses we so often hear about that make the game we love are so quick to jump behind what is a boring linear tribal strategy. Vampires have very little expanded gameplay above, say, a dumb solider or cleric deck. They know cube isn't for flavor drafters and booster openers right? You're trying to craft and exciting, interactive and powerful environment based on existing strategies and arbitrary restraints...

CML

Contributor
cfb wasn't actually interested. next up, more garbage modern decks from seattle grognards who haven't placed at a tournament since Eventide

some interesting MTGO Legacy Cube updates:

-Vampires theme is gone, went largely undrafted
-he's got weird metrics for 'it worked out' but the underlying idea to keep tinkering with the cube is commendable (Randy please try a recursive black aggro theme next we think it's viable and fun)

"However, there are several ways in which it did work out, and I fully stand by our decision to try it. Specifically, many people took it as a challenge to try to win with Vampires, and I got sent more than a couple of 3-0 screenshots on Twitter. In addition, I remain confident that the right process for maintaining the Legacy Cube for the long-term is to try similarly sized and shaped experiments on a regular basis."

-enough people complained that Eureka, Progenitus, and Show and Tell are back in
-new black subtheme is Shallow Grave and friends to tie in w/ Big Cheatz strategies
-also black devotion ft phyrexian obliterator & erebos

"On top of that there’s also a small sacrifice theme that we’re dabbling in. I honestly don’t know if Sidisi, Undead Vizier and Carrion Feeder are enough to make Abyssal Persecutor into a good card, but it should be fun to find out."

-green's bad midrange cards are now okay midrange cards
-top decks according to win% are {W} aggro, {R} aggro, {U} control
-tradewind rider got cut, RIP
-blood artist leaves along w/ the vampire theme, so do night's whisper, xathrid necromancer, and consuming vapours to make room for Erebos & co
-bloodsoaked champion comes in! i hope it doesn't get cut next patch though
-goblin bombardment comes out to buff the sacrifice theme
-RIP Loam, Call of the Herd, Warden of the 1st Tree, Boon Satyr, Harrow
-Depths/Stage comes in, awesome! but, uh, why did they cut Loam then?

Rmoving two of the best cards for sacrifice decks and then tries to push sacrifice? I really think these changes are made in 15 minutes with out much thought. He mentions valakut fits no where and adds Dark Depths!? Whaaaaat?

Pushing for mono black again? If it really is that hard to make black good just shrink the cube. I thought Randy would improve the cube, but it just keeps getting worse. Well, I suppose Vampires leaving is a silver lining.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Rmoving two of the best cards for sacrifice decks and then tries to push sacrifice? I really think these changes are made in 15 minutes with out much thought. He mentions valakut fits no where and adds Dark Depths!? Whaaaaat?

Pushing for mono black again? If it really is that hard to make black good just shrink the cube. I thought Randy would improve the cube, but it just keeps getting worse. Well, I suppose Vampires leaving is a silver lining.
Shrinking a cube that gets this many reps is bad for business, it needs variance.

Vamps in Legacy Cube straight trash, I don't understand how this was ever a serious thing.

On a sort of related note, I 3-0ed an Innistrad draft last night with friends on the back of B/R Vampires. Double Rakish Heir is insane and Nightbird's Clutches is fucking amazing. I might even consider trying it out in my cube now.