Sets (VOW) Crimson Vow

For the record I don't think meeting the token efficiency of Secure the Wastes is overly important, because these tokens are much better than the warriors from wastes. Even getting 2 faeries off of spending {3} {U} is still quite strong, considering you also drew three-discarded three

The more I look this seems like a quite strong control finisher or at least a part of the end game strategy. Get flying tokens, dig for late game gas including protection for the just-created tokens.

I don't think meeting the token efficiency of Secure the Wastes is overly important too. I'm sorry if I gave out that expression.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
From all of this I figure you're fine efficiency wise at lower values of X

So if the idea for Secure is to cast it for x = 8, than maybe these aren't wholly comparable.
But like...it's blue.
That's just so different

Edit: I should clarify, I have no idea if that makes it better or worse. Probably just different.

Last edited:
From all of this I figure you're fine efficiency wise at lower values of X

So if the idea for Secure is to cast it for x = 8, than maybe these aren't wholly comparable.
But like...it's blue.
That's just so different

Edit: I should clarify, I have no idea if that makes it better or worse. Probably just different.
Yeah, it seems really good at X=1-4 or something. You can get some decent spirit efficiency at those values.

Which is totally fine, because you're probably looking to discard for value in those earlier turns, anyways.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You're 'only' discarding an instant when you discard Commit to Memory.
Incorrect. I'll quote the official rules here, which you can also find when you search for Commit // Memory on Scryfall or Gatherer. "While not on the stack, the characteristics of a split card are the combination of its two halves. For example, Destined // Lead is a green and black card, it is both an instant card and a sorcery card, and its converted mana cost is 6. This means that if an effect allows you to cast a card with converted mana cost 2 from your hand, you can’t cast Destined. This is a change from the previous rules for split cards."

swap out Commit for tarfire and we are good to go
This works as well, yes! Unfortunately there isn't a single planeswalker with a second card type, so it doesn't increase our max EV :)

Edit: @Mown proved me wrong by reminding me of Grist, the Hunger Tide :D

Last edited:
One card that I don't really have a place for personally, but which looks interesting:

donalheraldofwings.jpg

Hmm...

Reactions: dbs

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
PS. Why for anyone wondering why they decided to make tribal a card type instead of a supertype:

Q: troublingpath asked: Why isn't Tribal a super type? A Tribal spell doesn't mean anything by itself.

A: magicjudge answered: The point of the Tribal type is so that non-creature spells can have creature types, which are actually subtypes. A card can't just have any subtype. All subtypes are tied to a specific type or types, and only objects of that type can have an associated subtype. For example, you can't have a Creature - Forest, since Forest is a land type and not a creature type. To have the Forest subtype, the creature would also need to be a land. So, to be able to grant creature type to non-creature spells, Tribal needs to share the list of creature types with the Creature type.

Summarizing:
  • Tribal isn't a supertype because supertypes can't have associated lists of subtypes. Only types can have associated lists of subtypes.
  • Therefore, Tribal is a type so that it can share the same list of subtypes with the Creature type, and these subtypes are called "creature types".
  • No, Tribal as a type can't exist on its own on a spell, but it's mechanically necessary for it to be one, even though it "feels" more like a supertype.

My first draft went horribly bad. I thought I had a very sick {U/B} deck, but I lost an opponent who did something similar but better and curved out incredibly. I can accept that. What I always have a harder time with accepting are games like the other two, where I was winning, not by much but still, until respectively Hullbreaker Horror or this completely unbeatable card hit the board.

Man, I really want one draft set where absurd bombs like this don't exist. I hate them from the bottom of my heart. It's not even a removal check as removal doesn't do anything here.

A more plausible wish: I feel like it is again a format where you can't effort a draw spell that doesn't affect the board. Scattered Thoughts would have been a premium common a few years ago, but it was probably the worst card in my deck. Having no other plays on turn 4 lost me that mirror match immediately. I would really like some draft format, where you didn't have play to the board a 100% of the time. The pendulum swung to far in my opinion.

Last edited:
My first draft went horribly bad. I thought I had a very sick {U/B} deck, but I lost an opponent who did something similar but better and curved out incredibly. I can accept that. What I always have a harder time with accepting are games like the other two, where I was winning, not by much but still, until respectively Hullbreaker Horror or this completely unbeatable car hit the board.

Man, I really want one draft set where absurd bombs like this don't exist. I hate them from the bottom of my heart. It's not even a removal check as removal doesn't do anything here.
Welcome to wotc money grab bomb cards...

In their goal to have no negatives for one player (the caster) they actually made the game less fun due to the times you could not do anything against a card...

Even a very bomby card like has more counterplay since it does not present a clock on itself.

I mean, scattered thoughts isn't that far away from Fact or Fiction honestly. Yet it is really bad in limited. It just seems wrong that noncreature spells, which aren't removal of sorts, can't be great anymore. I mean, my cube's power level is for sure not below todays limited sets, yet ~Read the Bones isn't a liability there.

I personally dislike that all these drafts with a new set is done on Arena and not on paper. It hurts the player base and supports no one!

People are sitting on their PC and playing alone in a room instead of in a group with friends and strangers who are about to become your friends.

People are opening packs and expanding their card pool of owned cards that cannot be traded with other people but instead is calculated in an in-game currency that is individual.

And thus fewer people are contributing to the overall tradable card pool in the world. Because people are still drafting IRL but a lot, lot less since all the initial fun of a set is already over when the cards are released into the local game stores.

Bring back Magic: the Gathering <3
(Simply let Arena be the second tier priority and release the cards two weeks prior on paper.)

I don't play Arena so all my drafting is in paper, but I haven't actually drafted a set since pre-pandemic. Wasn't a fan of dungeons or dice rolling so I refused to play AFR, was excited for MID and went to prerelease but hated tracking day/night in paper so didn't follow up with any drafts. I forgot prerelease for VOW was this weekend but then remembered that day/night was still a mechanic in this set so I'm out.

If they made less tedious mechanics for paper Magic I'd be back to drafting in person a few times per set, but I have zero interest as soon as I see one of those.