General 'walkers and "everything costs 4"

CML

Contributor
the planeswalker is a card type loathed by the conventional cube world, mainly because they are too willfully stupid to design their cube in such a way that someone could answer one in a timely fashion ("multicolor aggro? what's that??? here, have another thran dynamo), and also because they include such iconic cards as Gideon and Good Elspeth, both of which caused no problems in their respective standard environments and are totally pass-able and beatable in every limited environment.

these are dumb reasons to hate planeswalkers. planeswalkers are an interactive card type that lead to untrimmed, willowy decision-trees for both players, even if those decision-trees sometimes have low-hanging fruit, or are bonsai, or are clear-cut by a sweeper, or whichever direction you wanna take the deadwood metaphor. some time ago i made a list of PWs that i loved; it is in a thread that i cannot find; i will reproduce some of this below:

ajani g
ajani v
ashiok
original chandra
good chandra
domri
bad (5cmc) elspeth
big elspeth
all 4 garruks
all non-5cmc jaces
koth
lilly
nicky b
ral
both sarkhans
both sorins
tamiyo
venser
vraska
xenagos (kinda)

however, i am only running: ajani g, ajani v, ashiok, good chandra, domri, big elspeth, wildspeaker, relentless, koth, baby jace, king jace, lilly, ral, sarkhan vol, BW sorin, and venser, and even these might be a little much. there are two objections to running too many PWs, the latter more serious than the former:
-power-level concerns (either too good or too bad) -- only Elspeth, Knight-Errant has been problematic in my Cube, while JTMS has been a lot of fun. (note that with the stillborn printing of True-Name Nemesis, JTMS is now second -- a distant second -- to lilly in Legacy.) though there are a dozen PWs not worth running due to low power, there are more than enough that fit in the window that i simply don't run, because (w8 for it)

THEY ALL COST 4.

the "everything costs 4" joke is one of my favorites because it exposes the autism (if not hypocrisy) of MTGS-style cube design -- these morons drool over exact color-balance and a million other scintillas of quantitative data, then ignore the most important "hidden" data set in Cube, which is curve. i also know it to be a favorite of Dom's. there was a nice discussion on another thread about how official WotC Limited environments differ quite subtly on matters of curve, yet feel drastically different; for me, the only way to interpret this data is that keeping good track of your curve is hugely important, since LIMITED FORMATS ARE VERY SENSITIVE TO SLIGHT CHANGES IN CURVE. to kick the dead horse a little more, a few of the "old guard" in Seattle were speaking of the Modo Cube the other day; one of them had first-picked a JTMS and another criticized the otherwise lapidary deck for its lack of a 2-mana rock since "all the nut cards in blue are at 4cmc"; the drafter replied with some butt-hurt, "yeah i prioritized those but none came around." i hope he lost to a sulfuric vortex or some recurring nightmare-kitchen finks-shriekmaw loop

anyway! beyond the intermingled stupidity and arrogance, i don't need to explain to y'all why this is depressing. it's why we're here.

with a bottleneck at cmc=4 it's also worth noting that, though the natural enemy of a card that costs N is a card that costs N+1 (Baneslayer Angel was a lot less cool with the Titans running around), the best way to fight PWs is proactively, with a nice curve or at least a swarm of cheaper threats. my point is that none of the other "nut cards" at cmc4 ever beat a JTMS; for draw spells like FoF or Deep Anal, he is impossible to out-durdle, and for creatures, there's a good reason my MBS standard deck ran only Hero of Oxid Ridge and Vengevine at cmc4; I want to suggest that the "Jace test" can be generalized to all PW's for Cube. (not much passes the Elspeth, Knight-Errant test; she's just so beefy and good at self-defense -- this is what people mean when they praise PW's for "plussing to defend themselves.")

i'm way too lazy to look at the Modo cube's curve data, but a quick glance at the curve chart for the average 720 (http://cubetutor.com/analysis/495) shows that 2>3>1=4, which is also the construction of a typical NWO Limited set; i don't need to tell you guys why this won't work with Constructed cards when Constructed curves tend heavily towards 1>>2>3>4>n+1 etc.

as this is one of the things about cube which obsesses me, i've been keeping track of curve data for a few months. the below numbers describe seven major revisions. take a look (cmc5 = cmc5 and up, switch from 405 to 450 at 4th data set):

cmc1 85,94,87,98,95,90,87
cmc2 82,86,91,92,91,92,94
cmc3 84,74,88,90,83,91,89
cmc4 50,42,54,60,58,52,59
cmc5 48,45,53,57,55,56,51

at some point, though, i had too many 1cmc cards; there's no use in doubling up on figure of destiny and throwing in a half-assed delver of secrets theme if nobody takes them until 14th pick. even if these 1-drops are good at fighting planeswalkers, it's similar to "wasting slots" with lands on low-quality fixing when collapsing them into 20 fetches / 30 fetchable duals would allow for greater choice in design, drafting, deckbuilding, and gameplay.

the latest iteration of the cube greatly pleases me -- it's better than ever before, and with more people coming over the decks get even 'themier' and therefore stronger and more interesting; drafting with 10 was really fun on wednesday -- but here i see a problem. there are too many 4-cmc cards. if there are too many 4-cmc cards, then there are not enough early beaters for aggro, not enough fatties for hardcore control or reanimator, not enough ways to combat planeswalkers by sliding under and going over the top, and too many durdle spells at 4 that are functionally similar in creating value, which is what planeswalkers are unrivaled at doing and fighting against. my ideal curve would look something like 90, 95, 85, 50, 60; otherwise we risk making "4-color midrange" an actual thing, and what would be worse than living up to the demented criticism of MTGS and old-guard moron alike?

DISCUSS

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to hijack this with a thought I've had lately. In another thread (who cares which one) you guys were talking about Lightning Bolt being the most powerful red card, but, given the option, I am picking Koth over Bolt every time. Koth slams on the table and just wins games. Are people really picking Bolt over Koth?

CML I can't tell which direction your updates are going. Are the ones on the right more recent? You need some data viz either way.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
We just did a nine-man draft where Koth tabled, among multiple red drafters. That probably wasn't correct, but.. yeah.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, let's be real, even in a tight mana-constrained cube Bolt isn't really irreplaceable. The number of games you're going to lose by casting Searing Spear instead is non-zero but non-big number either. Koth drops to the table and just wrecks players. I play him in 3 color decks. My 3-0 percentage is through the roof when playing Koth. I feel like I can't be overvaluing him because he just pukes out wins. A threat that is immune to removal and has a short, ticking clock to ultimate is a pretty big deal.

I think I draft more decks I can (and am totes excited to) play lighting bolt in than decks I can play koth in.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, admittedly I have an excessive attachment to Koth. But I'll play him in almost every deck. I won a Gameday with a Koth Sparkblade deck. Because who doesn't like to pick up swords, equip them to mountains and swing into the red zone.

I have cast Koth into board states containing only a single mountain probably more than any other Magic player.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Jason/Eric: Could we add a easily findable link to the old Google group somewhere? There's some stuff there worth reading.

Caramel: The most important piece of advice I could give to a new Cuber is to run fewer gold cards (or rather, more manafixing) and fewer 4 CMC cards. Strangely I don't have the same reservation about >4 CMC cards, but at least with them people are generally cognizant that you have to play them in moderation; 4-drops just get jammed into a deck like it's nothing. I used to get queasy when people put Sowers in their Mistbind/Cryptic-laden Faeries decks years ago because 8 4's was enough already; I can only despair when I see a full column at the 4 slot in a 40 card deck, often with more 'high-end' (as if 4's aren't) stuff above it. They're the biggest trap in Cube.

I think the mark of a successful (or hideously unsuccessful) Cube is being able to take Koth over Lightning Bolt (or similar for other colours) and not feel like you're doing your curve a disservice.

Honestly Koth was quite bad for us and I would slam Bolt over him always. Bolt is much less of a color/archetype commitment and although there are many cards with the same effect, none are as efficient. There are plenty of better 4s than Koth imo but not many 1 mana spells can go toe-to-toe with Bolt. FTK, Hellrider, BBE, Huntmaster, Ajani Vengeant, Falkenrath Aristocrat, and Olivia are all cards that I run in my cube and that I prefer to play over Koth, and those are just the red cards.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
There are plenty of better 4s than Koth

I'm just going to point out that Koth needs to be answered in literally 2 turns or he gives you one of the most inevitable emblems ever. Hellrider might deal more damage that turn, but unless the game is ALWAYS ending when you hit turn 4, Koth is a lot more resiliant

I like him, and I also like

Life total?
uhhh nine
Pow

But I think planeswalkers mechanically make combat too clumsy and make a lot of old cards designed to be board sweeps, like pernicious deed, that much more ridiculous, so the effect at all should be overcosted IMO.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
love it, exactly what you're looking for in a black 6 power-level-wise if you're excluding grave titan

I realize I'm just hopping around threads poo-pooing things today, but I would not want to play black control if this was my finishing option. 6 mana for Shock Helix and then they ignore your PW and just attack you to death? Worst case scenario thinking, maybe, but this feels way underpowered.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Is mindslaver really that powerful of an effect in cube? For an ultimate on a 6-drop it seems awfully paltry.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Actual Mindslaver is in the rotation for me, but only when I have things that can exploit the fact that it's an artifact. I'm not convinced by it as an ultimate.

Poor black.
I like the card though, but it wants you to be playing other good black defensive cards (BBB is asked of you a weirdly large amount in cube for how mediocre black control is and the more 2 power zombies and dorks that can't block you run the less likely it is you will have a player wanting sorin in his deq). I also like black finishers as creatures because of reanimate sub themes but I always wanted a black removal engine finisher.

Pair with staff of nin for a good time.

Pair with staff of nin for a good time.
Oh snap you just reminded me of a draft not terribly long ago that I observed (was taking a lot of job-related phone calls so settled for literally sitting outside on the windowsill with the draft directly on the other side of the glass) where one player had the following board:

I popped inside to comment and the player grinned, saying "I'ma ping some shit" as his opponent slowrolled his draw: a GGGarruk, which would normally be fine but was quite dead-on-board.

I think Markov actually plays better than he reads. Not by a lot, granted, but I think it's true.

Yeah he seems like he gives your other spells a lot more range and I think that's super sweet but maybe not 3BBB sweet. Thankfully eric cubes modern so it's like way less of a big deal that non degenerate things are sometimes happening.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Sorin Markov is ok, but seeing him in the same thread as Sorin's Vengeance is really making me wonder how much he's actually worth. The -3 is the real issue I think. It comes up occasionally, but its usually not very vital.