General [WAR] War of the Spark

Dreadhorde Arcanist
1R
Creature - Zombie Zauberer (Wizard)
Trample

Whenever Dreadhorde Arcanist attacks, you may cast target instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost less than or equal to Dreadhorde Arcanist's power from your graveyard without paying its mana cost. If that card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead.
Ok, so I like this card. First, regardless of what other colors you're playing, this can flashback at least cards like Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, Burst Lightning (free of kicker). This list doesn't include cards like blue cantrips, some cheap black removal, etc. The most exciting part about this for me is how good it is with pump effects, auras, equipments, and counters. You can mentor it quite easily, as well. Pretty much every deck playing red in my cube will be able to make use of this if the pilot wants to. It is potentially a windmill slam for me, and one of my favorite cards in the set so far.

woweeeeeee

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ok, so I like this card. First, regardless of what other colors you're playing, this can flashback at least cards like Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, Burst Lightning (free of kicker). This list doesn't include cards like blue cantrips, some cheap black removal, etc. The most exciting part about this for me is how good it is with pump effects, auras, equipments, and counters. You can mentor it quite easily, as well. Pretty much every deck playing red in my cube will be able to make use of this if the pilot wants to. It is potentially a windmill slam for me, and one of my favorite cards in the set so far.

Actually, when you "flashback" Burst Lightning with this, you can pay for the kicker cost! I agree this card looks sweet, but I have absolutely no idea what red two drop I'ld want to cut for this! Like, almost every card in that slot is a cog in some archetype, and I don't know that I really want to go down to one Young Pyromancer? That card is so fun to build around! I mean, I can't even find space for Dire Fleet Daredevil, and that's a card I'ld really like to play!

Red 2's are super stacked at this point. I'm thinking back to how slim the pickins were when I first started cubing...

The cut won't be easy, but this is a must for me

Actually, when you "flashback" Burst Lightning with this, you can pay for the kicker cost! I agree this card looks sweet, but I have absolutely no idea what red two drop I'ld want to cut for this! Like, almost every card in that slot is a cog in some archetype, and I don't know that I really want to go down to one Young Pyromancer? That card is so fun to build around! I mean, I can't even find space for Dire Fleet Daredevil, and that's a card I'ld really like to play!

Unless Pyromancer is an integral piece of the archetype that requires it to function, I can see giving Dreadhorde Arcanist a try in the place of one at least temporarily.

totallylost1.jpg

I'm going to Totally Lose my mind if Fblthp isn't on the art of more cards. It would be kind of funny if he was hidden in the art of multiple cards in this set.

For some reason when I first saw Dreadhorde Arcanist I thought it was a 3 drop. I'm much more interested now.

But! This is only on your turn. Being able to gain life on the blocks adds a lot to the misery. And Sorin can't reanimate a constant stream of your beefcakes, he'll be getting back 2 or 3CMC role players.

I'm curious about this card:

godpharaohsstatue.jpg

The 6 mana cost tells you you're stalling. But don't get it wrong, this feels like a tempo curve-topper. I think you stall until you get this card, and then stall till you win. I've seen two similar implementations before. One was the Defender deck in my own cube, which played them to slow your opponents until you beat them. Not by inevitability though, they'd win the game if it went on for X more turns, you just raced them and won by turn 12 before they got to their turn 16. Another example was a Mesmeric Orb based "control deck" that played bounce or cheap removal (possibly temporary) to make your opponent spend more mana than you and mill out.

I feel this is this again. Getting to 6 might be hard, but this seems like a slow format to me. And once you do, your opponents are a bit stuck. The drain hints you towards the direction you should go in, and that direction is letting them bleed out. Speed it up with whatever cards you want, just make sure you don't die. Sure they might overwhelm them with all their cards that can actually kill you, but your stall/tempo plays (Teyo, the Shieldmage?), make sure the game last just long enough.