General [WAR] War of the Spark

If you look at the art on Wanderer's Strike, you'll see that she's killing a Demon Eternal!!
en_fzjFbEIB2n.png

Archfiend of Ifnir 2.0 confirmed, anyone?!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
But! This is only on your turn. Being able to gain life on the blocks adds a lot to the misery. And Sorin can't reanimate a constant stream of your beefcakes, he'll be getting back 2 or 3CMC role players.

And he is in two colors instead of one. And he can be killed by combat damage instead of needing artifact or enchantment removal. Yeah, I'm not saying he's just as good as the Whip, just that teamwide lifelink is miserable :)

And he is in two colors instead of one. And he can be killed by combat damage instead of needing artifact or enchantment removal. Yeah, I'm not saying he's just as good as the Whip, just that teamwide lifelink is miserable :)

And I'm saying that teamwide lifelink is not intrinsically miserable, it's a product of the card context. Are azorius charm or Jeskai charm miserable because they grant teamwide lifelink? I'd say far from it, because the time frame of the lifelink is limited. Whip gives the lifelink on both attack and block, it's on two of the hardest to remove permanent types in most formats, and it consistently offers a way to keep your boardstate wide so the lifelink is more impactful. that's what makes it miserable, not the teamwide lifelink in of itself.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Okay, fair enough, I should have been more specific. In my mind I was obviously not referring to one turn teamwide lifelink effects like Azorius Charm, and I fully agree those aren't necessarily miserable (although Tenacity certainly was backbreaking more than once at my local prerelease). Anyway, you're free to try the new Sorin of course. I didn't mean to call you out on anything, and who knows, I might try it too! My experiences with Whip in my cube have just made me naturally weary of teamwide lifelink on permanents, that's all!

Looks like Bolas is bringing the (dead) Amonkhet gods with his invasion!
636896777580286959.jpg

From left to right, it looks like we have Kefnet, Rhonas, Bontu, and Oketra.

You can tell the comrade on the far left is Kefnet because of the giant pair of skeletal wings he brandishes. Rhonas is standing next to him, and it's pretty obvious that it's him because none of the other gods have a head like that. There is a weird protrusion coming off of his head, meaning that theoretically it could be The Scorpion God, but that thing is Pretty Dead.

It looks like Oketra and Bontu got pretty screwed up. I think bolas may have used the same process to transform them into different animals as he did with the Bug Gods (who originally looked like African Animals like the rest of the AKH gods, at least according to one of the story articles). Honestly, neither of them look like they did before, but since the other two are so clearly Kefnet and Rhonas, I would have a hard time believing that these are different gods. My best guess is the one on the far right is Oketra, judging how her swords look like the two halves of Oketra's bow.

(In case any of you were wondering, Hazoret is still alive and as such is not eligible for Eternalization)

This fact is further entrenched by the flavor text of Samut's Sprint:
"Samut's war was intensely personal. Every hour she faced enemies she once loved as friends and horrors she once revered as gods."

So, this means Zombie Gods are a thing :D. The best part is, we might get to see these in the next couple of days! If you noticed, most of the previews from this morning consisted of Eternals. Since the gods are the biggest and baddest eternals of all now (apparently), it would make sense if they arrived at the beginning of act 2. This might also explain why those Gruul warriors seem to be joining the charge with Jace and Ajani- They've seen the threat to their world and they want to SMASH!

Also, this poster exists which I just found after writing this...
tumblr_ppcwnloF6n1u23z5io1_1280.pnj

The real question now is: will they be rare or mythic? The new Neheb leads me to believe they will be a cycle of legendary rares.

I have to admit, they make everything pretty epic this time, would be cool for a movie plot. I just wish, the planeswalker cardtype would be a good addition to the game instead of ruining most games they're getting played and making no sense flavorwise. And often being bland characters and cards that require little to no skill to use for incredible value in almost any deck. And fucking up the rules with thousands of errata for burn spells.

Argh, damn, I didn't want to rant about pws this spoiler season.

On a more relevant topic: Does anyone recognice any draft archetypes yet? I feel most of the cards are "just value" stuff, which would lead to a pretty boring limited environment. (Not that I would ever play a set with that many planeswalkers.)

If I were Wizards I would not care for limited for this one set. It is all about going all in and create an amazing story and an ultimate final. Limited comes second this one specific set.

If they manage to create a good limited experience = bonus.

I also heavily disagree that planeswalkers ruin most games they are getting played and makes no sense flavorwise. I guess this is a matter of opinion.

However I do feel like planeswalkers should be a little less childish in the behavior and should not have such an easy time climbing to importance. They are just creatures that can travel between worlds. Not live forever and wield ancient magic like they used to do and be able to.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I also heavily disagree that planeswalkers ruin most games they are getting played and makes no sense flavorwise. I guess this is a matter of opinion.

I agree, to an extent. There are certainly a lot of planeswalkers that are absoluty too powerful in my cube and would take over almost any game they were cast in, but that does not mean the planeswalker card type inherently leads to ruined games. In fact, I run multiple planeswalkers that are fun additions to the cube, without being overbearing, and there are actually quite a few planeswalkers that I tested that simply do not do enough in my cube. I also like the flavor of planeswalkers, as they're real characters who, much like legendary creatures, have a more in-depth background, plus they are slinging multiple spells, which makes them feel (to me) a bit like you're bringing a second player to the table. Really, my only qualm is that planeswalkers, as the poster child of most sets, are pretty pushed card advantage machines, which definitely leads to games nowadays having a different feel than Magic the Gathering in the pre-planeswalker era. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you were really into the feel of old school Magic, those days are definitely behind us.

Who knows though, maybe they are going to put a few less planeswalkers in upcoming sets, now that a bunch of them are going to lose their lives? Of course, for the next two years, standard will have a lot of planeswalkers in it. There's that...

Question: Have any Planeswalker actually lost anything yet in WAR?

Have any walker been killed, lost their spark, anything, yet? (Story-wise)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Looking at the trailer, it seems like Liliana is completely dusted and Dack Fayden gets stabbed?

We don't actually see Liliana get completely dusted, and we have this spoiler!

lilianastriumph.jpg

I'm guessing she survives in the end, arms intact, or why make a cycle with "<Planeswalker's> Triumph" as the name convention? Is it really a cycle? Well... we already have this card in the official visual spoiler...

en_XwT4rtYGDw.png

We don't actually see Liliana get completely dusted, and we have this spoiler!

lilianastriumph.jpg

I'm guessing she survives in the end, arms intact, or why make a cycle with "<Planeswalker's> Triumph" as the name convention? Is it really a cycle? Well... we already have this card in the official visual spoiler...

en_XwT4rtYGDw.png

I don't think these events happened at the end of the story. If either of these were triumphs over bolas, I think the art would show it.

Kieran Yanner is really becoming a favorite artist of mine. Gideon's Triumph looks so cool!

Here's an interesting one from Korea:
consuminghelion.jpg

Supreme-Leader's Helion
2R
Creature - Hellion
When Supreme-Leader's Helion Enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures and/or planeswalkers, if you do Supreme-Leader's Helion enters the battlefield with twice that many +1/+1 counters.
Ok, so I kinda like this. Those of you who run lower powered cubes with aristocrats themes will probably have a field day with this. For me, although I like the way this plays with aristocrats, +1/+1 counters themes and Hardened Scales, I don't think this is good enough for my list. I think if this had trample it would be worth the consideration, but for now it's merely "cute."