General [WAR] War of the Spark

Not the biggest fan of planeswalkers, but there are some cool designs here that I'm digging.

vivienchampionofthewilds1.jpg
domrianarchofbolas.jpg

Both Domri and Viv looks excellent to me. Viv makes your opponent have something bigger or have the removal spell to push through whatever is protecting her and I also love how the 2nd ability feeds into the static ability. It's great that you can still cast the creature even after she dies, 3 mana investment for two bodies down the road ain't bad at all. I like Domri's static ability and I'm all for more ways to remove creatures in Gruul colors. Fight stapled to a walker is completely fine. I was a fan of OG Domri in Constructed, but it just wasn't quite there in Cube with the number of noncreatures you'd be playing in most draft decks. This one contributing to ramping into big bois early and then having them crush the opponent is great. I like that you can play this off a dork T2, then pump out a 5 drop T3. Not a whole lot of investment to get going which is great. I'll gladly be playing both of these, will spice up the Gruul decks and give them some more teeth.

krenkotinstreetkingpin.jpg

I'm not sure how much I like Krenko more than other options currently at the 3 drop slot, but I do like how this ability works with pumps and any counter stuff I might have going on. It's not going to outpace Hanweir Garrison for damage right away or open up sweet Champion of the Parish synergies, but it does end up dumping more bodies over time and has some potential.

dreadhordearcanist1.jpg

This card looks like a ton of fun. Become Immense is the dream, but even just Reckless Charge T3 seems like a beating on the play. What are the chances that your opponent will have 3 power back to defend on that turn realistically? Flashing back removal off a combat trick or pump on attacks is super sweet also. I'm a big fan of this design. Also, zombie! BR might have enough soon to make that the analog to humans in BW.

lilianastriumph.jpg

Diabolic Edict with potential upside and some sweet promo art. Solid if unexciting, I'm down to try it out.

roaleskapexhybrid.jpg

I like this weird Simic dude. I'm trying out a +1/+1 counters subtheme in UG right now and this seems like it'll slot in real well. I'm also waiting for Hydroid Krasis to become reasonably affordable so this'll do in the meantime. We'll see how good he ends up being, but a baseline 4/5 Flample for 5 in ramp colors seems solid. Virtual 6/7 worth of stats is pretty nice.

dreadhordebutcher2.jpg

What a great poster-child for RB aggressive decks, I love this card. On the play it'll probably a 2/2 at minimum and paired with any removal to snipe down blocks he can get out of hand quickly. Barring exile effects, he's probably going to Shock or Bolt your opponent or something on their side of the field as he goes down. It does a strange impression of Shrine of Burning Rage in that regard. I do like that as a 2/2 he gives your opponent something to think about if they've got an x/4 sitting back there. Also great with combat tricks where you can trade way up. I'm all for creatures that make decisions in combat more intensive. Sweet simple design.

viviensarkbow.jpg

I really dig this one too. It's like a weird card that helps out the Coco and Pod decks by giving another way to pull creatures out of your deck. I don't know if it's worth it mana-wise in the mid-game b/c you'll be taking up most turns to do this, but this could be sweet in the endgame. I'm down to try most interesting non-creature cards in Green tbh.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
For UG counters I highly recommend hadana's climb. Weird Simic dude is alright, but it's kinda just jugan but better. I kinda want more from my Multicolour spots play wise

For UG counters I highly recommend hadana's climb. Weird Simic dude is alright, but it's kinda just jugan but better. I kinda want more from my Multicolour spots play wise

Oh yeah, I've been playing that one for a bit now. Big fan of it, it has definitely overperformed. I especially liked the one time someone made Ghalta into a 24/24 for a one shot. I also think it's kind of important to have generic markers for archetypal support every now and then. Simic is just so boring most of the time that I'm okay with trying this one out for a little bit at least. I pretty much have two perpetual rotation slots for that color pair.

I just want to dream of dumb stuff happening like someone going Temur, putting counters on new Krenko through various means, Flipping Hadana's Climb the field, and activating + pooping out a million goblins. Someone needs to do this. It'll probably be me.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Holy crap! A white and improved Thrummingbird!

OAK5RhU.png

That's actually really, really playable in white!

I feel this blue common is also pretty nice:

9oR1Bm3.png

And is this the Demonic Pact-synergy we've been waiting for?:

12rey4n.png

No... no, I'm pretty sure it isn't :)

Lastly, hella cool vehicle:

636900450832856115.jpg

Mizzium Tank {1}{R}{R}
Trample
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, until end of turn, Mizzium Tank gets +1/+1 and becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.
Crew 1
3/2

Probably a bit too low power. Would have loved for it to actually gain +1/+1 counters somehow... Like...

spellgorgerweird.jpg

Oh, that's pretty cool! I currently run Pyre Hound. The 3rd toughness is nice, especially in Wildfire decks (you need only one other spell), but this comes out a turn earlier and triggers for any noncreature spell. What do you all think?

Spellgorger weird seems so lackluster on paper, but I wonder if it's actually decent? Non creature clause is good and let's it into more decks, ie artifacts. I'm liking the blue weird as well.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Spellgorger weird seems so lackluster on paper, but I wonder if it's actually decent? Non creature clause is good and let's it into more decks, ie artifacts. I'm liking the blue weird as well.

Pyre Hound has been much better for me than it's base statline would indicate. The trample is not irrelevant either, so that's another point in favor of the Hound. But yeah, it should be relatively easy to get Spellgorger Weird to a 4/4, which is crazy good for a common three drop in red!

I have personally been disappointed in vehicles almost from the beginning but I still appreciate that Wizards keep making them. I wish there was a cool Ixalan Pirate ship worth playing. This Ravnica vehicle doesn’t impress me either.

I have personally been disappointed in vehicles almost from the beginning but I still appreciate that Wizards keep making them. I wish there was a cool Ixalan Pirate ship worth playing. This Ravnica vehicle doesn’t impress me either.
Ok. (You could elaborate on why!)

I think these kinds of cards actually work better than one would expect. In the right deck, it's kind of a 4/4 for 3 a lot of the times? Also big fan of red caring about non-creature spells now.

I think 4/4 is shooting a little low, tbh. That's only two spells, which most UR decks in cube should be able to hit just in the next turn.

3wwzdrp1seq21.png

Thi is a sweet UG card! A nice addition to the +1/+1 angle of UG, and repeatable proliferate is great.
2/2 flier for 2 isn't bad on it's own either.

Ok. (You could elaborate on why!)

Sure :)

Why I appreciate Wizards keep making vehicles: I like the vehicle mechanic and the frame. I like how the gameplay functions and the flavor.

Why I have been disappointed almost from the beginning: Ever since Smuggler’s Copter I have not seen a vehicle I would like to run. And this includes Kaladesh actually because Smugler’s Copter was spoiled early and most of the vehicles since have been lackluster. This is a personal opinion and not a fact.

Why I wish there was a cool Pirate ship from Ixalan: Because it would be cool to have a vehicle in my cube that was not so futureistic and mechanical but instead had a fantasy vibe to it. A ship would be cool but Ixalan didn’t bring any proper ones if you ask me. Again, personal opinion.

I think I might have to give this a try. Works with Fetch lands and Treasures too besides Aristocrats.
E07E3169-4721-4EDF-B1C0-227EC7B3C306.jpeg

Sure :)

Why I appreciate Wizards keep making vehicles: I like the vehicle mechanic and the frame. I like how the gameplay functions and the flavor.

Why I have been disappointed almost from the beginning: Ever since Smugler’s Copter I have not seen a vehicle I would like to run. And this includes Kaladesh actually because Smugler’s Copter was spoiled early and most of the vehicles since have been lackluster. This is a personal opinion and not a fact.

I actually got a playset of each vehicle, since I assume that like they did with equipment, the first set would be pushed compared to the rest, because they figured out what they wanted the power level to be.

I actually got a playset of each vehicle, since I assume that like they did with equipment, the first set would be pushed compared to the rest, because they figured out what they wanted the power level to be.

That is a good point. Sword of X and Y and Skullclamp came from the second set in the first block. However Jitte came from the second set of the second block.

With planeswalkers their first real 'mistake' came during the second set of the third block (Worldwake) IMO.

I am not hoping for a mistake from Wizards' part but I would just love to have seen a cool Pirate ship/armada during Ixalan.

Oh Yeah the devil is the first card in this set so far, that actually exites me. It is just the archetype sign post I wanted for my rakdos sacrifice decks.

Glad to see more landfall cards getting printed, but proliferate doesn't do much in my cube sadly.
Now give me a blue landfall card please.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Pff... Do I want proliferate in {G/W} in my Cube? I cut Curse of Predation from my Cube because it was stupidly strong, and after that I still had to nerf the +1/+1 counters theme in {G/W} twice because it was too strong! I love proliferate to bits, but I fear it's very easy to get way ahead of curve with the ability...