General (WHO) Dr. Who Spoilers

displaceddinosaurs.jpg

Obviously, 7 mana is way too much for me to ever want to pay retail, but turning every treasure/clue/blood into a 7/7 is one hell of a payoff. I am interested in this card, in a way where I know I'll never put it in anything but I want to see what other people do with it.

cyberconversion.jpg

Paying an extra colored mana to make Pongify/Rapid Hybridization better mostly doesn't interest me, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that it could be good.

barbarawright.jpg

I just think she's neat! Somehow the very specific "1W Doctor's Companion" slot is excellent between her and Sarah Jane Smith (I don't care about the time counter one.)

Don't think it's going to be worth a thread to talk about includes, but it looks like I've got 4 -- much fewer than I would've anticipated, and only half of what made it in my cube from 40k and lasted the year since. Since I have very little awareness of 40k and love Doctor Who to bits, that's quite disappointing, and I mirror a lot of @TrainmasterGT's well-stated sentiments about the misses here.

Cards I'm including:
who-611-sarah-jane-smith.jpgwho-11-astrid-peth.jpgwho-129-frost-fair-lure-fish.jpgwho-170-ace-s-baseball-bat.jpg

The better maybes:
who-10-adipose-offspring.jpgwho-69-genesis-of-the-daleks.jpgwho-78-dan-lewis.jpgwho-108-the-sea-devils.jpg

Will pick each of these up for the on-deck binder. I could easily argue any of them for my list as is, but I don't think they quite get there yet, except maybe The Sea Devils aka History of Benalia-with-only-one-pip-in-a-less-competitive-color.

And the Probably Nots but I like anyways:
who-172-clockwork-droid.jpgwho-175-cybermat.jpg
(also K-9 and Adric, Mathematical Genius)

I do want to say, Clockwork Droid is pretty ok! Glory-Bound Initiate was a reasonable choice for quite a few years but it's probably closer to a Oketra's Avenger. Still, the biggest downside of a 3/1 is softened by the protection ability you can turn on here. I desperately want more low MV artifact creatures, so I'll pick up a copy just in case I wake up one morning and feel like this Robot has a place.

Cybermat mostly attacks as a 3/1 as well, so that's neat.

I broadly agree with these sentiments. The references go back 60 years to the first episode: An Unearthly Child. I started watching Doctor Who over 42 years ago and used to consider myself a fan until I met a real fan.

Lord of the Rings and Warhammer 40K are reasonable fits for magic because they are about conflict. When I read a line like “Whenever The Eleventh Doctor deals combat damage” I experience a massive thematic disconnect: The Doctor eschews any kind of violence.

Yeah, that's another thing that feels weird about this whole thing - even I, a person who has very little actual knowledge of Doctor Who, know that the Doctor solves problems through cleverness. None of the Doctor cards should have attack triggers!

I made a compilation of cards I would consider to have the highest chance of being interesting to a cube designer because I was bored.

Time Reaper is the first creature with the Glorybringer statline black has gotten I think, but you kind of need a lot of adventures, flicker effects, rebound or long-term exile draw to make it appealing probably.
I think Run for Your Life is an interesting form of inevitability in UR decks, although it needs board-centric games where blocking regularly happens.
The Flux seems like the strongest card of the release, without any actual synergy requirements.
Blink looks pretty strong to me, but it might end up having awkward play patterns often against low-curving decks, or ones with a low creature-density in general.

@Mown

I hadn’t noticed this one before. Or maybe I forgot because I only have one eye on this set. I am merely scanning for the most powerful cards in this set I could maybe use for Duel Commander and then I am trying to learn a little Doctor Who lore while we are in this spoiler season.

Damn that’s a lot of card advantage on this Flametongue Kavu variant where you trade tempo for value. If everything unfolds the way you hope then you get all the four mana back with interest and the card itself also with 2022 interest. It won’t touch my cube where I care about aesthetics but I could also see this one get played in some older formats.

NGL, gonna be a little weird running Barbara Wright in my Tom Bombadil deck but hard to resist! :rolleyes:
I was thinking exactly the same when I saw that realism art on the Barbara :) I even like that showcase art of Bombadil. They don't go together artwise. But game play wise you kind of have to, right? So the game is hurt for having these Universes Beyond because players can't be expected to exclude the best cards for their strategy and still have a chance of winning the tournaments/casual games. This one is on Wizards to change. Fix your game!