Sets (WOE) Wilds of Eldraine Spoilers

These haven't been mentioned yet:
doublingseason.jpg
necropotence.jpg
smotheringtithe.jpg

Wilds of Eldraine will have a bonus sheet called "Enchanted Tales," which consists of classic enchantments in this cool new frame. Unfortunately, the cards revealed so far seem a bit geared towards 4 player formats and not so much for 1v1, but I think that's mostly because these are the Mythics and not the uncommons and rares. I really like the new art for Doubling Season and Necropotence, but the art direction for all of these cards is absolutly fantastic!

wot-67-smothering-tithe.jpgwot-81-doubling-season.jpgwot-71-rhystic-study.jpg

We're FINALLY getting the special anime alt-arts to try to bump up MtG's market share in Japan in English!!!!!

I know other people have much bigger complaints with Magic, but the fact that I can't get the Strixhaven Mystical Archive alt-arts and other similar releases in English has been one of my biggest sore spots, and having it addressed here is lovely, even if I'm not particularly interested in the ones they showed off for this expansion itself.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I love the goose hydra so much :D

Also these look excellent: (I know the island got posted but I love the whole set)
1690741005628.png1690741025593.png1690741043287.png1690741061108.png1690741112595.png

1690741263855.png1690741278441.png
So I've been on the lookout for a black planeswalker. I'm reasonably happy with the 3 mana liliana twins, but I don't love them (Last hope is kinda frustrating to play against if your deck is investing cards in 1 toughness creatures) and I've got a custom Karn who needs reworking, but most of the rest of the available options are boiled frogs for me.

I don't think this is it? That passive is super unique and cool, and I do kinda like the valuey package that's going on here, but 5 mana is so much that I don't think this really stands on its own. Super cool to build around, but the kind of cards it's got synergy with, I'm not sure I want them either.

I think this card is actually going to be good:
toughcookie.jpg

"Game object tribal" is becoming more and more prevalent as WOTC taps into the design space clues, food, and treasure have opened in creature design. We just had an entire set where a comically large number of green cards did something relating to food, and Wilds of Eldraine appears to be continuing that trend.

Tough Cookie specifically seems like another piece for the Cheeky Token Deck. It takes one of my favorite token payoffs from The Brother's War, Alloy Animist, and attaches it to an on-rate creature that also makes a food token. Even if you don't have a follow-up play for your tough cookie, you can animate your Food Token on turn three and swing in for six damage, which I think could give this card a really nice competitive slant. Additionally, following a Samwise Gamgee with Tough Cookie lets you immediately sling back a historic card if you have one in the yard. Trading a Tough Cookie for a second round of Fable of the Mirror Breaker seems very cool to me.

Anyway, this Cookie seems very good.

oh, you CAN...
I think this card is actually going to be good:
toughcookie.jpg

"Game object tribal" is becoming more and more prevalent as WOTC taps into the design space clues, food, and treasure have opened in creature design. We just had an entire set where a comically large number of green cards did something relating to food, and Wilds of Eldraine appears to be continuing that trend.

Tough Cookie specifically seems like another piece for the Cheeky Token Deck. It takes one of my favorite token payoffs from The Brother's War, Alloy Animist, and attaches it to an on-rate creature that also makes a food token. Even if you don't have a follow-up play for your tough cookie, you can animate your Food Token on turn three and swing in for six damage, which I think could give this card a really nice competitive slant. Additionally, following a Samwise Gamgee with Tough Cookie lets you immediately sling back a historic card if you have one in the yard. Trading a Tough Cookie for a second round of Fable of the Mirror Breaker seems very cool to me.

Anyway, this Cookie seems very good.
This cookie's spoiler was actually what put me over the edge for adding this guy to my cube:

Though I do think people on Reddit are still under-rating it. It's just a lot of value for 2 mana, and hits hard. Turning every off-hand treasure you get into a beater is something that's hard to keep up with.

I like tough cookie. Hm, comsidering the swing for 6 on turn 3 baseline, he might actually be too much power and toughness for a 2-drop in the CCC.

I like tough cookie. Hm, comsidering the swing for 6 on turn 3 baseline, he might actually be too much power and toughness for a 2-drop in the CCC.

It's a tempo swing for sure. Depending on the environment, consistently swinging for 6 is very good, but so is blowing up your opponents 5 mana investment with your doom blade.

It's a tempo swing for sure. Depending on the environment, consistently swinging for 6 is very good, but so is blowing up your opponents 5 mana investment with your doom blade.
To be fair, to swing for 6, you have to also be attacking with the Tough Cookie, making it susceptible to being blocked. So while it's definitely capable of "swinging for six," you have to be able to safely attack with your 2/2 in order for that to happen.

This cookie's spoiler was actually what put me over the edge for adding this guy to my cube:

f9c55add-d621-4477-95ec-f2b691c0bdae.jpg
Manufactor is definitely more appealing than when it was printed. I'm still a little weary about a 1/3 for 3 that doesn't do much right away, but there are a lot of ways around that now which didn't exist when the card first came into being. I think it will be a little rough for high-power environments for a little while longer, but I think that will change in the future, given how many enablers for this card are being printed these days. Right now, my biggest turn-off for this guy is the price tag lol.

Fun fact: Academy Manufactor was originally only going to cost 2 mana, but it was bumped up to 3 for being insane in Lurrus of the Dream-Den modern decks back when that card was legal as a companion.

To be fair, to swing for 6, you have to also be attacking with the Tough Cookie, making it susceptible to being blocked. So while it's definitely capable of "swinging for six," you have to be able to safely attack with your 2/2 in order for that to happen.

Sure, but in no format that I will participate in is it a problem to attack with a 2/2 on turn 3

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Manufactor is definitely more appealing than when it was printed. I'm still a little weary about a 1/3 for 3 that doesn't do much right away, but there are a lot of ways around that now which didn't exist when the card first came into being. I think it will be a little rough for high-power environments for a little while longer, but I think that will change in the future, given how many enablers for this card are being printed these days. Right now, my biggest turn-off for this guy is the price tag lol.

Fun fact: Academy Manufactor was originally only going to cost 2 mana, but it was bumped up to 3 for being insane in Lurrus of the Dream-Den modern decks back when that card was legal as a companion.
You gotta wonder what we got robbed of by companions being such a warping cycle

Sure, but in no format that I will participate in is it a problem to attack with a 2/2 on turn 3
True. I'm not trying to hype down this card that I like; I'm just noting that the ceiling of "swing for six every turn after turn three" probably isn't what's going to happen. I'm not convinced trading away my Tough Cookie in the early game is necessarily a smart idea if it means I can't boot up my Fish Fingers and Custard token to slap my opponent silly in the late game. The problem is less "attacking with a 2/2 for 2 on turn three," and more "I may not want to get rid of the thing that lets me turn my tokens into giant creatures before getting to leverage it fully."

You gotta wonder what we got robbed of by companions being such a warping cycle
Apparently, the Squirrels were a lot stronger initially... Correlation isn't causation, but the information regarding the Manufactor nerf and Squirrel nerf came from the same person, so there might be some truth to making a connection there!

As someone who is bad at Magic, Pack Rat is great because I never have to think about what to do. In the immortal words of some random guy who played against Geordie Tait in 2006:
“How did your first four rounds go?”
“I just cast Selesnya Guildmage and my opponents didn’t kill it. Sometimes I would have to discard from having eight cards in hand, because it made more sense to activate the Guildmage than to cast spells.”