Sets (WOE) Wilds of Eldraine Spoilers

if you expect the adventure to be played by itself, mono in the adventure color
(has there been one of these yet? perhaps beanstalk giant in the right cube would have been monogreen even if the body was not green)
otherwise mono in the creature color

The only sensible option. Brand new colour category that has to be balanced against itself by including a creature/adventure pair for each of the 20 possible arrangements of colour. Easy.

TBH, probably just treat them like I do split cards if I end up using any.

I would put them into their respective gold section. I don't run any adventure cards where people don't strive to play both halves in at least 80% of the games.

I'll likely put 2/3 of them into the gold section and 1/3 of them into a mono-colored section, based on anticipated play patterns. It makes it hard to have folks help me sort my cube but is the only way I justify maintaining highly standardized color balance (with two exceptions in my 3-color section for practical reasons) which is truly unimportant to gameplay but important to me.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I would put them in the same place you would put Assault // Battery or Order // Chaos. Sometimes one side will do the heavy lifting, and you put it in that color, sometimes casting only either half is acceptable and it acts as a hybrid, and sometimes it’s a package deal and you straight up treat it as a multicolor card. In other words, it depends on the expected play pattern!

MaRo's Teaser is up!
Before previews for Wilds of Eldraine officially begin, I thought it would be fun to do another of my Duelist-style teasers where I give tiny hints of things to come. Note that I’m only giving you partial information.

First up, here are some things you can expect:

• a new type of token (at least done as a cohesive theme)

• a card that can activate to copy enchantments

• Adventures on a new permanent type

• an artifact that has two different artifact subtypes normally associated with artifact tokens

• a creature type from Alpha gets a draft archetype

• fairy tale Sagas

• multiple legendary Foods

• a new card with a lobotomy effect

• a creature with two triggers, one for artifacts entering the battlefield and one for enchantments

• a new mechanic that batches together three items that have been in the game since Alpha but never batched before

Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:

• “If a permanent entering the battlefield causes a triggered ability of a permanent you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.”

• “Look at the top twenty cards of your library.”

• “it produces three times as much of that mana instead.”

• “Sacrifice all Reflections you control.”

• “Creatures you control with +1/+1 counters on them have all activated abilities of all creature cards exiled with CARDNAME.”

• “have base power and toughness 4/4 and flying.”

• “exile up to one other non-Fox creature”

• “Land creatures you control”

• “Whenever you tap an untapped creature an opponent controls,”

• “X is 2 plus the number of cards in your graveyard that are instant cards, sorcery cards, and/or have an Adventure.”

Here are some creature type lines from the set:

• Creature – Mouse

• Creature – Rabbit Unicorn

• Creature – Faerie Shapeshifter

• Creature – Elf Fox Knight

• Creature – Giant Archer

• Creature – Plant Wurm

• Creature – Elemental Raccoon

• Legendary Creature – Rat Noble

• Legendary Creature – Vedalken Scout

• Legendary Creature – Human Warlock Bard

Finally, here are some names in the set:

• Candy Grapple

• Charming Scoundrel

• Food Fight

• Protective Parents

• Scream Puff

• Stroke of Midnight

• A Tale for the Ages

• Three Blind Mice

• Three Bowls of Porridge

• Up the Beanstalk

Kickoff the preview season for Wilds of Eldraine with the debut on August 15th, at 10:00 AM PT on twitch.tv/Magic and our official YouTube channel. Catch up with our web fiction before the debut August 8th – 14th.

Here are my takes:
MaRo said:
• Adventures on a new permanent type
As of right now, adventures have only been on creatures and artifacts. That leaves enchantments, land, planeswalkers, and battles as potential adventure candidates. We can rule out planeswalkers and battles since we already know what the one planeswalker in the set does and they've previously confirmed no battles will be in this set. That leaves enchantments and lands. Enchantments are more likely, given the fact that this set will have an enchantment theme. However, I have played with custom adventure lands before and they have good play patterns. The safe bet is adventure enchantments, but the based bet is adventure lands.

MaRo said:
• A creature type from Alpha gets a draft archetype
This is probably either Merfolk, Nightmares, or Faeries.

Merfolk and Faeries are both central to several Fairy Tales. This set's draft archetypes will each be based on a specific fairy tail, so I think they are good options for potential archetypes. Nightmares seem to be central to the story of this set, thanks to the prevalence of the wicked slumber, with two of the cards we've seen so far involving the creature type.

MaRo said:
• fairy tale Sagas
Sagas confirmed! I love sagas, and I am always excited for more, especially because Eldraine is one of my favorite Magic worlds. The Cheeky Token Deck will love a food saga to pair with Samwise Gamgee!

MaRo said:
• a creature with two triggers, one for artifacts entering the battlefield and one for enchantments
See above.

MaRo said:
• a new card with a lobotomy effect

MaRo said:
• a new mechanic that batches together three items that have been in the game since Alpha but never batched before
We've seen this mechanic before! It was a scrapped mechanic was called "mystical," and was like Historic but for Artifacts, Enchantments, and Faeries. According to MaRo; Interestingly, the theme became part of a subtheme of "artifacts and enchantments matter" in white and blue, something we'd experimented with in Vision Design with "mystical" (a word that bundled artifacts, enchantments, and Faeries). As always, there's overlap across vision design and set design so that the Set Design team is aware of things Vision Design did.

I would be surprised if the mechanic isn't mystical, given the hint.

MaRo said:
• “If a permanent entering the battlefield causes a triggered ability of a permanent you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.”
Yarok, the Desecrated is getting a new friend!

MaRo said:
• “it produces three times as much of that mana instead.”
200w.gif

We really don't need another $60 commander-only mythic, do we? I guess it will be nice to open this card and be able to trade it for like... 6 copies of Liliana of the Veil.

MaRo said:
•Legendary Creature – Rat Noble
I think this may be a reference to The Nutcracker? While the Nutcracker is mostly known for the Tchaikovsky Ballet, it was originally invented in 1816 as the short story The Nutcracker and the Mouse King. I'm not sure why they went with a Rat for the card instead of a Mouse, but I think the popularity of Rat Tribal may have something to do with that.

The Nutcracker mechanically ties in with Food, given the importance of the Land of Sweets to the Ballet version of the story, so I could see it being the Green/White draft archetype in this set.

MaRo said:
• Charming Scoundrel
Black, Blue, or Red Charming Prince?

MaRo said:
• Scream Puff
Some of these names are so cheesy I love it lol.

And... that's everything I want to talk about. I like the direction of this set so far. I hope the power level is similar to the original Eldraine (minus the development mistakes). I really want to up the as-fan of Adventures and Sagas in my Cube and this set could be a great way of doing just that!

Thanks for reading!
–GT

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
• Legendary Creature – Rat Noble

I think this may be a reference to The Nutcracker? While the Nutcracker is mostly known for the Tchaikovsky Ballet, it was originally invented in 1816 as the short story The Nutcracker and the Mouse King. I'm not sure why they went with a Rat for the card instead of a Mouse, but I think the popularity of Rat Tribal may have something to do with that.

The Nutcracker mechanically ties in with Food, given the importance of the Land of Sweets to the Ballet version of the story, so I could see it being the Green/White draft archetype in this set.
You didn't immediately think Rat King here? :)

You didn't immediately think Rat King here? :)
I did, but Rat Kings aren’t really a fairy tale//Arthurian concept by themselves and the Mouse King is sometimes referred to as a Rat King in certain versions of the Nutcracker story. I would assume that whatever this card is will also take inspiration from a Rat King, but I wanted to talk about a potential fairy tale origin : P

@TrainmasterGT
You probably know this but if you don’t, here goes. Wilds of Eldraine will mostly depart from Arthurian when compared to Throne of Eldraine. Hence the name Wilds of Eldraine. Source is Mark Rosewater from the announcement stream that I linked.

I just want a card that's a dude that got turned into a werewolf by his wife, but, like, it's not a big deal?

(For anyone who doesn't know: Sir Marrok is a knight mentioned in passing who got turned into a werewolf for seven years by his wife. It was probably a reference to the Lay of Melion, but I just find it really funny that "guy whose evil wife turned him into a werewolf" gets, like, one line.)

Today I've registered for the first prerelease event since 7 years ago. It will be draft. Don't disappoint me, wizards.

Draft sets have been incredible for some time. The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth has super cool game play where most creatures are small but they also want to be small sometimes because of the ring tempts you mechanic. March of the Machine was the best draft set we’ve seen in many years. All Will be One was strange but unique in a cool way.