Sets (WOE) Wilds of Eldraine Spoilers

Gfd why do these cards all have to be so good. The UG mainland looks the best at the moment--5/5 is pretty good and shrinking/growing a critter is big game. I feel like UG should have gotten a decent mainland a while ago as it's an intuitive color for lands, but maybe this is it?

20230811_153131.png

Spellbook Vendor costs 1W— it’s actually a good card!!
Heck yeah. Art looks a little demented, though.

20230811_153131.png
New reaction time???

I'm glad that a bunch of the goldventures fit into a 2-3-7 cube so far, I guess? More gold cards that you don't need to play as gold cards is always a good thing in my book.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Wow, all that stuff looks super pushed.
Does it? Some of it does, but I think there’s plenty of stuff that looks pretty reasonable to me! The Rat King, for example, looks like a worse Goblin Rabblemaster, there’s a bunch of <3 toughness aggressive creatures, which promotes trading. So far I like most of what I’ve seen, power level wise!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Does it? Some of it does, but I think there’s plenty of stuff that looks pretty reasonable to me! The Rat King, for example, looks like a worse Goblin Rabblemaster, there’s a bunch of <3 toughness aggressive creatures, which promotes trading. So far I like most of what I’ve seen, power level wise!
It's different, it's much more of a midrange card than rabblemaster's aggro

Like rabblemaster kills much faster unopposed, but the goblins tend to just die, and 3 mana 2/2 is an eminently killable statline.
The rat tokens live, and you get to eat your opponents graveyard, but they also notably don't have haste, and they're 1 each rather than the net 2 each of rabblemaster tokens.

I love the card, but it's different enough to rabblemaster that it might be a disservice to compare them :p

Wow, all that stuff looks super pushed.
so glad they decided to keep printing good cards

To take a decisive stance, I like the cards leaked thus far but they're definitely pushed. Many of them would be in the top quartile in my cube, and so I can't include too many of them without upending a lot of other things I like. However, two thoughts:

1. I'm happy to make a background cube and then include flavor-of-the-month pushed cards from Standard. I'll probably throw a dozen of these cards into my occasionals box, play them for a season, them trim all but a handful. In a way, this means I get to make my own mini-Standard!

2. These are mostly rares and mythic due to the leaks coming from prize boosters, which are usually the cards receiving the lion's share of WotC's power and complexity budgets. The commons and uncommons (Tough Cookie aside) will hopefully be a lot more reasonable both in terms of power level and complexity.

So I'm happy to have the rares and the mythics sit at this level even if they're not my preferred game pieces.

To take a decisive stance, I like the cards leaked thus far but they're definitely pushed. Many of them would be in the top quartile in my cube, and so I can't include too many of them without upending a lot of other things I like.
I'm not necessarily sure I would call most of these pushed; they're just all high-quality. I don't think any of these cards are pushing the envelope on what a Magic card can be or do, but they're close enough to the border that they're way more interesting than average. The set almost has a "Neon Dynasty" quality to it so far, where the majority of the cards are playable and interesting role players, but nothing is obviously broken.

The only thing I'm worried about for constructed purposes are the Adventures with card draw. None of them seem broken, but the fact that all of the draw spells are on-rate and effectively draw an extra card in addition to the base. I think any of them are over the edge on first blush, but if there's anything in this group of cards that I would call pushed, it's them.

Again, I'm very excited to see the rest of this set, I loved Throne of Eldraine, and Wilds looks like it's taking the best parts of that set and expanding upon them.

olgo75vt2bib1.png

Oh my god, she's perfect.

I am always in the search of more artifact creatures that people actively want to play, and this is better than I could've hoped.
Support legendary matters? Yep.
Hits like a brick? Yep.
Only 2 mana? Yep.
Incidental planeswalker hate? Always a good thing.
Artifact synergies?? YES
Makes baubles like treasures, food, and clues better? Oh my god!

I doubt she's going to be topped as my favorite card in the set.

ylcbdtcp2bib1.png

I desperately wanted this to be good just because I loved the art so much and it's....fine? a 3 mana 3/3 flyer with a food token that draws you a card once is probably the typical scenario. Still trying to figure out how much I like this, but being an X/X flyer for X as a baseline in two colors...would I even prefer this to Shivan Devastator?