Sets (WOE) Wilds of Eldraine Testing/Includes Thread

I understand why they were careful to avoid touching the adventure stove the second time around... but the power level just isn't there for me.

and the "maybe but I'd be surprised" award goes to poor little

who isn't even bad but suffers from an oversaturation of competition!

I suspect there's at least one thing I'm underrating, and playing Standard will show me what it is. It probably has an Adventure. Might be white virtue, either of the two super cute otters, or the Not Quirion Dryad. Or maybe the not-really-Eidolon spell hoser.

Just due to the flavour of the set and how much my partner loves Eldraine I'm more seriously considering cards from this set than I have for sets in quite a while. All of these are subject to what I can open/find easily though, so

Main Cube

Ana Grid

Main Cube

Ana Grid

I'm also eyeing the Restless lands, the Virtue cycle and everything not already mentioned that has an Adventure for future use in my main cubes, gimmick cubes, and duplicate sealed pools.

For my DnD themed Ascension cube

-- Roles --

I am completely ignoring
* Cursed Role
* Royal Role
* Whicked Role

And I am going all in on
* Monster Role
* Sorcerer Role
* Young Hero Role

I had to choose to avoid complexity.

No Roles for black.

The idea of a young hero is great for Ascension because just like the player keeps growing in power, so too will the creature now. Sorcerer is a DnD-related class so it also fits. And scrying is good for game play. Monsters also fit. Especially because the player itself with choose to turn their own creatures into monsters for advantage.

-- Adventures --

Adventures are a good fit for DnD in my opinion and we got some new toys to make it an entire theme and not just a flavor add-on.

These are added to the already existing Adventure support cards

I will flesh out the theme a bit more now. Before it used to just be an extra thing. Now I can turn in into something the players can strive for. I am thinking about making the theme Simic instead of Simic + splash white + splash red.

-- Tribal --

Ascension has party tribal (Cleric, Rogue, Wizard & Warrior) and Dragon tribal. This set has given us a few gems but no new payoff cards. The payoff for party all come from Zendikar Rising. The payoff for Dragons mostly come from Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate. I have decided to ignore all Rat token cards for complexity even though there is a cool red Warrior Redcap Gutter-Dweller.

-- Cleanup Step --

Great set for Ascension! It is now easier to cut some of the questionable Adventure cards. More crossover between Adventure and party. I will also include some of the higher powered cards for my higher levels like 2 and 3. I am not sure what to do about many of the off color Adventures. I expect the upcoming Ixalan set could also feed Ascension because of some overlapping themes. Just like Zendikar Rising also did. Here is a link to the full list of cards I am considering but I haven't decided anything for absolutely sure yet. The list is about 3x longer than it should be and will be cut down. Most of the off color Adventures will get cut along with most of the higher powered cards:

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/42985623-2fc6-4ace-98d5-016d2c41430c?view=spoiler

Last edited:
Just a few cards I find interesting:

If 2 mana 3/2s have a million fans I am one of them etc. I'm a big enjoyer of stuff like Doomed Traveler and Nested Shambler, and this provides an interesting twist on the concept. One of my hesitations with this guy is that he doesn't fit into an aristocrats shell quite as well as some of the other options, but I think this slots into a black aggro strategy and does work. I'm also not a huge fan of the tokens not being able to block, purely because I don't really like having tokens with text on them outside of common keywords like flying (I have the same issue with the Pests from Strixhaven and the Devils from SNC).

What a cool design! I think this card will be a lot of fun with cards like Knight of the Reliquary. I like finding ways for green to get in on the graveyard shenanigans, and I especially enjoy "lands in the graveyard" stuff. Hopefully we keep getting pieces like this that can help turn it from a minor subtheme into a full-fledged theme at lower power.

I like this design because it provides a nice Banisher Priest+ effect that kinda fits between the lower power of Banisher Priest and Fiend Hunter and the "often a huge blowout" of Skyclave Apparition. Might slot this in to replace Skyclave in my lower power cube.

If 2 mana 3/2s have etc. Really neat card. I like including recursive creatures like Bloodsoaked Champion and Scrapheap Scrounger and friends because they can slot into a variety of different graveyard-focused strategies on top of just being solid aggressive plays. It's a bit disappointing that since you can only retrigger this when it dies, it doesn't work in a self-milling or discard deck, but you're probably not too upset about getting a 3/2 trample for 2 in a mono green deck, so it at least has some flexibility there.

This card is adorable and very simple to read which are two of my most important qualities in a magic card. I don't really even know where to put it but I think it'll probably end up in one of my cubes eventually.

Really wish this didn't have the planeswalker text on it haha, it's just a little too much text for me and most of my cubes don't really use many planeswalkers so it's gonna be trinket text a lot of the time. That 2nd line though, that's great. This probably fits very well into my aggro artifacts cube.

No idea what to do with these just yet but they'll probably end up in a bunch of my cubes over the years. Manlands are just so awesome for cube, I love basically everything they do. Mana sinks that help close out board stalls? What more could you want? Great to get another set of these that feel like they can compete with the Treetop Village tier of manlands.

Roles are just a bit too complicated and messy for the types of cubes I like to build (I play with a lot of casual players), so I don't have much interest in those cards.

Last edited:
I still hurts that they didn't do storybook frames for the non-rare adventures. Yet, this set has an above avergae number of interesting cards for me. Here they are, descending in how likely I am to cube them:

Slamdunk include number one here. Synergizes with selfmill, spells matter, ninjas and is a great roadblock for control. BUT I have to proxy up a storybook version. The artwork, luckily, is already fitting.

Also pretty much a certain add for my next update. Graveyard and ninjitsu enabler in a solidly playable package is a dream.

I have to try this because of flavor alone. It's coming in hot, although it might prove to be too underpowered even for me and I could cool down on it.

That's a neat package of fine enough mana dork and solid enough payoff. That's a great play pattern I'm familiar with from Beanstalk Giant and the like. Also, I don't have to proxie the showcase version here.

It will be tough to get two new green 2-drops into the list, but this guy could singlehandedly let green in on the artifact fun.

Maybe I like this better than some other token producer? Time will tell.

Maybe that's a fine card for Wildfire decks and the like? Maybe it's just too slow?

If I could add one self sufficient lifegain payoff to black and green, that would probably be good for my environment. Or would it be poisonous? I don't want to make mono white lifegain less tempting through this. But I like the spooky storybook art.

A really sweet do nothing card. But will I go down this trail?

I like burn spell that encourage interesting synergies. Not sure if this is worth it's complexity, though.

Last edited:
These are honestly the only things I see that interest me for the main cube. I'll have to dig into the Food token stuff for my Artifact cube--haven't really had time yet.

1693103703189.png1693103723526.png1693103830625.png

No idea what to do with these just yet but they'll probably end up in a bunch of my cubes over the years. Manlands are just so awesome for cube, I love basically everything they do. Mana sinks that help close out board stalls? What more could you want? Great to get another set of these that feel like they can compete with the Treetop Village tier of manlands.
Well, I have to say your impassioned plea has gotten me seriously thinking about some of these now too. These are on par (or close) to the ones I still do run, so it'll be nice to plug in some gaps. Thank you!

Attachments

• 1693104023354.png
    1693104023354.png
    600.2 KB · Views: 0
I'll be adding 31 cards from the main set...this is now the most-represented set in my cube, huh. A new set of reasonable power level with adventures and a cycle of man-lands is liable to do that, I guess!

Cheeky House-Mouse -> Frontier Explorer
Sure, it’s cute, and it’s got great names and flavor across the board. I’m mostly cubing this because my drafters will get legitimately excited to see it every time, and tell stories about how they murdered their friends with a little house-mouse.

Regal Bunnicorn -> Norn’s Inquisitor
White Goyf! A very straightforward and clean card, I can’t help but appreciate it on many levels. Gets gigantic quick and promotes the kinds of decks I want to support more, so even if I find it a bit…plain? I cannot complain.

Pollen-Shield Hare -> Sanwell, Avenger Ace
I'm very down for more explicit token support. At least this one has the storybook frame!

This effect is so much better attached to a bear than on an enchantment, and having the opportunity to use Hare Raising (great name), as infrequent as it may be, is just gravy.

Elusive Otter -> Jace Beleren
It’s hard to find a blue 1-drop creature that’s worth playing in a reasonably powerful cube. The most-common choices aren’t terribly compelling, and while it’s not strictly necessary to be so prescriptive in the curation of your cube to ensure the slot has at least some action, I find the gameplay improves the more low-cost creatures you have in every color, especially one-drops.

This otter may be my favorite blue one-drop. Just by nature of being a 1 MV dude with prowess, we would’ve gotten halfway there, and the pseudo-evasion helps the little cutie get through in messy boards, making blockers second-guess the few options they have with a fun threat of activation.

While the green half of this card isn’t terrible, it’s not why I’m running him in most decks, so I’ll classify the elusive dude as mono-blue. Games where you’re adventuring are ones where the otter is pretty much useless.

Horned Loch-Whale -> Iymrith, Desert Doom
This is the kind of adventure creature I was hoping to get more of this return trip to Eldraine, and beyond having lovely art and a good but fair body, the adventure side of the whale is reasonably impressive in slowing down aggro or making a Retrofitter Assembly player cry when they finally get their first 4/4. This is the kind of modality I want on my blue fatties.

Lord Skitter, Sewer King -> Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
As red’s Rabblemaster variants get stronger, it only makes sense we’d get one in black. If this were in red, I wouldn’t even consider touching it, which doesn’t speak well of its longevity In black, but the incidental graveyard hate is really nice actually and I like how it doesn’t freeze the board with tokens since they can’t defend you or your ‘walkers.

Faerie Dreamthief -> Nullpriest of Oblivion
Halfway between an Unwilling Ingredient and a Stitcher's Supplier, Faerie Dreamthief is a glue card for pretty much every kind of black deck I support, and carries a sword well if you’re making bad decisions while drafting but still want to win a few games. In my (very slow) attempts to drive down the overall curve of my cube,

Virtue of Persistence -> Exsanguinator Cavalry
Other players have already talked about this card to death, but the black Virtue is a serious beating. The removal is totally fine and just barely below rate, nothing that anyone would sneer at if there’s a whiff of upside attached. And yet we get a deluge of upside once you hit the (admittedly high) price of the card’s enchantment half. This card makes you feel like it’s actually worth the mana, which is all I can really ask for a super top-end enchantment.

Beseech the Mirror -> Curse of Disturbance
I’m generally opposed to tutors but this one lets you double-up on Siege Rhinos / Sheoldreds if you’re really going to be like that, and since you have to work for this one, you deserve it if that’s what you’re up to.

Lich-Knight’s Conquest -> Incarnation Technique
Pretty explosive potential here. Fun build-around that kind of builds itself in my list.

Tangled Colony -> Scourge of the Skyclaves
I’m liable to switch this one right back, not only because Scourge of the Skyclaves is a pet card of mine but also because Tangled Colony is marginal outside of the token decks and I worry it’s not good enough in aggro aristocrats. I like what it brings to the table, I like its stats, and I like its vibe, but I’m not sure my players will care at all.

Embereth Veteran -> Falkenrath Gorger
Since this is the only role-related card I was interested in, I was (reasonably) considering axing it from consideration for the additive distraction it provides, and I very well might in not too long. That said, I like the story-in-a-card situation here, and there’s slightly more knight tribal edges in my list than vampire bonuses.

Hearth Elemental -> Den of the Bugbear
One of the more interesting cards of the set. I ran Dangerous Wager for quite a while when it was first printed and it wasn’t terrible, surprisingly; it just needed a third card to really get there. Hearth Elemental brings it back but with a bonus. I imagine it’ll be a 3-mana 4/5 in the typical scenario, which isn’t super special, but paired with the hellbent ability on its adventure is a compelling test.

Tough Cookie -> The Shire
Trinket Man’s one tough…oh wait, that’s the joke. I like how many options he comes into play with, in addition to being a solid clock on the game if your little cookie 2-drop isn’t immediately dealt with. This guy’s the inspiration for me finally adding Academy Manufactor to my Cube.

Intrepid Trufflesnout -> Meriadoc Brandybuck
I just like this little boar, OK?

Stormkeld Vanguard -> Edge of Autumn
Honestly? Giving green another 6-drop isn't necessary (it's why I'm not running the very potent and playable Generous Ent) but this is yet another way to give a flexible Naturalize to the players without making it feel bad when there's not enough targets. I don't love having so much of green's naturalize effects on creatures be attached as an ETB or part of a sacrifice effect, even if those are the most logical ways to do it in most sets. Gotta love Adventures!!

Syr Ginger, the Meal Ender -> Emissary's Ploy
My #1 card of the set, and maybe of the year. I love 3-power on my 2-drops, I love supporting legends-matter, I love the flavor, I love trinket support, I love artifacts-matter-but-not-too-much, I even love the incidental planeswalker support, even if it is realistically just additive distraction most of the time. Can’t wait to rip apart some Garruks with this gal.

Throne of Eldraine -> Thawing Glaciers
You get your mana back! It’s very good!

Hylda’s Crown of Winter -> Smokestack
It’s weaker than Icy Manipulator but that card still does surprisingly well in my cube, and creatures are really the key to modern day Magic. I like that it’s free to tap if you’re getting a blocker out of the way, and that you can trade it in for a reasonable amount of cards in most situations, especially after just using it.

Agatha’s Soul Cauldron -> Atraxa’s Skitterfang
There’s gotta be something fun to do here, right?

The Goose Mother -> Nissa, Steward of Elements
I desperately wanted this to be good just because I loved the art so much and it's....fine? a 3 mana 3/3 flyer with a food token that draws you a card once is probably the typical scenario. Still trying to figure out how much I like this, but being an X/X flyer for X as a baseline in two colors...would I even prefer this to Shivan Devastator?

Decadent Dragon -> Rakdos Cackler
A very easy swap. Decadent Dragon is the whole package, with both sides of the card wholly serviceable.

Questing Druid -> Kogla and Yidaro
2+2=6 here, this is where adventures get real sweet. Questing Druid’s card draw half is worth playing on its own, and combining it with a longtime cube incidental of Quirion Druid.

Heartflame Duelist -> Velomachus Lorehold
Liable to swap this again in 3 months, but I don’t hate bringing back the “give spells lifelink” so soon after I begrudgingly took it out to better utilize my Jeskai slot.

Mosswood Dreadknight -> Meren of Clan Nel Toth
It’s been talked to death, and for good reason. Highly recommend The Green Knight film that came out a few years ago too if you haven’t seen it yet.

Talion, the Kindly Lord -> Fallen Shinobi
Maybe a bit more complicated than I’d like — I know I didn’t fully grok the implications of it at first — but there’s some good fun to be had here, especially if you started things off with a Thoughtseize.

Likeness Looter -> Sygg, River Cutthroat
The fact that it works very well on several axis before considering it as a graveyard clone thing is why I think this’ll be fun to try out.

Land
Restless Cottage -> Hissing Quagmire
Restless Vinestalk -> Lumbering Falls
Restless Spire -> Wandering Fumarole
Restless Fortress -> Shambling Vent
Restless Bivouac -> Inspiring Vantage

These are just better in flavor, art, and effect than their BFZ block counterparts.

My Top Cards for the Set

I'll probably wait a bit and revisit whatever catches on after a month, but after an initial review of the set I don't think there's a single card that fills a need for me.

Anything role-related is a pass due to tediousness in paper and there are a few cards that look interesting like Syr Ginger but ended up too wordy for me. The dual-colored adventure cards read and will likely play well, but I prefer my current gold options across the board and can't see a swap I'd want to make for inclusion. Normally I don't care where cards are listed in my cube as far as color identity goes, but Adventure cards from original Eldraine got there on pure power level and splashability whereas these feel like they need to be in the color pair as neither half alone is really worth it.

Regal Bunnicorn and Cheeky House-Mouse up the cuteness factor, but are also includes that are powerful but simple: a combination I'm always looking for. They replace Thraben Inspector (all Clues are now purged from my cube) and Seeker of the Way.

I had been eyeing a re-introduction of Oblation for a while, but Stroke of Midnight is just better. Soul Partition is out!

Frolicking Familiar, Threadbind Clique and Scalding Viper are perfect fit for my categories "monocolored but better with another color", previously manned by Mystic Retrieval, Arctic Aven and Desperate Ravings respectively. They fit better in my established themes and are generally more at the power level I want them to be.

Johann, Apprentice Sorcerer is part of the new multicolored legendary cycle I've introduced to replace the colorloss lands with multicolored activations like Slayers' Stronghold. Collector's Vault replaces Liquimetal Torque; one of the (too) many 2mv mana rocks in the cube.

With these new Adventures added, Edgewall Inn becomes very tasty. I've been looking for some more "colorless" fixing and this fits the bill. Terrain Generator didn't fit that bill...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I was looking forward to a potential new Temur archetype when Beluna Grandsquall was revealed, but it doesn't look like the support is there in the end.

Personally I like keeping the number of one- or two-offs with any particular keyword to a minimum. For celebration the only two cards that really caught my eye are Goddric, Cloaker Reveler (which is awesome) and Raging Battle Mouse (which is cute). Ash, Party Crasher could get there, but that leaves me short on cards in white with the keyword. Might still try out those three though.

Though Candy Grapple might have the greatest flavor text of the set (or even the greatest flavor text in recent memory), bargain doesn't particularly do quite what I want to be doing in my cube.

Roles are right out, way too much complexity.

That leaves adventures and random cards, of which there are quite a few, though I'm not as excited about WOE as I was for Eldraine. But that might just be me not playing cube or, indeed, Magic in general lately.

Most players I play with either played Magic a long time ago or play Yu-Gi-Oh / Hearthstone. If they play Magic, they do so with me, and play one-on-one cube (sometimes 3/4 player multiplayer).

Even simple Magic cards are relatively complex compared to Hearthstone/Pokemon (I won't get into Yu-Gi-Oh). If I want to convince them to play with me, I want to provide an easy-going experience. That means as few different tokens and keywords as possible (I only add cycling, flashback or adventure cards), as well as keeping the word count low.

I also want to make the cube welcoming to new Magic player. Therefor, I've also excluded enchantments, planewalkers and every mention of the upkeep from my cube. I can just skip parts of the game in my explanation and keep everything simple. Everytime I see an opportunity to get rid of something, I take it (lifelink and double strike are gone as of the Eldraine update)

And honestly, I don't notice a "lack of complexity" during play at all.

One question: If you take away the upkeep, don't you in some way make it harder for newbies to keep up with experienced players, as you take away one opportunity for instant speed interaction that might be relevant?

Also, I would argue that lifelink and double strike add virtually no complexity, at least initially, because they are so intuitively named.

One question: If you take away the upkeep, don't you in some way make it harder for newbies to keep up with experienced players, as you take away one opportunity for instant speed interaction that might be relevant?

Also, I would argue that lifelink and double strike add virtually no complexity, at least initially, because they are so intuitively named.
If they ever would want to keep up with experienced players you're right
If they want that though, the cube has served its purpose
There are more cards with "Toxic" in standard than cards mentioning the "Upkeep" in standard.

Lifelink and double strike add virtually no complexity, but their exclusion adds even less complexity.
I'm not actively looking to get rid of them, but I get rid of them with a smile :)

landofMordor

Administrator
I was looking forward to a potential new Temur archetype when Beluna Grandsquall was revealed, but it doesn't look like the support is there in the end.

Personally I like keeping the number of one- or two-offs with any particular keyword to a minimum. For celebration the only two cards that really caught my eye are Goddric, Cloaker Reveler (which is awesome) and Raging Battle Mouse (which is cute). Ash, Party Crasher could get there, but that leaves me short on cards in white with the keyword. Might still try out those three though.

Though Candy Grapple might have the greatest flavor text of the set (or even the greatest flavor text in recent memory), bargain doesn't particularly do quite what I want to be doing in my cube.

Roles are right out, way too much complexity.

That leaves adventures and random cards, of which there are quite a few, though I'm not as excited about WOE as I was for Eldraine. But that might just be me not playing cube or, indeed, Magic in general lately.
I am bit sad reading that there are WOE cards you like but don't seem to be letting yourself run! IMO there's a world of difference in a ability word like Celebration, which always spells out its rules, vs something like Bargain, where the rules are merely reminder text and might be left off any given card.

I'd also argue that Grapple doesn't need its Bargain text to be aligned with your Cube's vision, since Last Gasp is a perfectly fine floor. Plus, it does have Bargain reminder text. I love cards like this that allow drafters to turn the cube into their sandbox -- you might find someone assembling a totally unexpected sacrifice-matters Delirium deck between this and Dragon's Rage Channeler, and that's exactly why I play Cube!

I hope this doesn't read as pedantic; I just wanted to be an accomplice to you feeling free to play the cards you like :)

I feel like Werefox Bodyguard is wordier than it needs to be, and I'm partially holding out hope they will make an artifact creature one that's a clue instead of gaining life, but I think it has cool play patterns.
I really dislike the Role mechanic and especially how misleading some of the reminder texts on them are, but First Duel should work pretty well as an individual card, and plays strongly into my cube themes. I will probably errata the first line a bit to something like "Create a Gadwick's Transformation token attached to up to one target creature. (Enchanted creature is a 1/1.)", I'm not really worried about the edge cases of someone, like, reanimating first duel to re-enchant a creature and trigger revolt or some nonsense so it falls within the realm of acceptable errata to me.
Hearth elemental fits the cube themes, think it'll find the slot over Capricious Hellraiser, although losing out on an etb trigger is unfortunate.
My gut feeling is Elusive Otter and Questing Druid are like, massive power outliers, but I'm going to test them, I keep being discontent with my multicolored choices.

I really with Tempest Hart was a grizzly bear instead of a 4-mana 3/4. Also with the UB faerie deck would have given me a black flash creature.

reminder text is so ugly :(
Reminder text makes thousands of cards cubeable for many more playgroups.

Also, who cares about the text box? I am like the aesthetics nazi when it comes to magic cards, still curating a burning hatred for the postmodern card frame, yet I always had a hard time understanding how people are put off by words in card's textboxes. There are always words there.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I am bit sad reading that there are WOE cards you like but don't seem to be letting yourself run! IMO there's a world of difference in a ability word like Celebration, which always spells out its rules, vs something like Bargain, where the rules are merely reminder text and might be left off any given card.

I'd also argue that Grapple doesn't need its Bargain text to be aligned with your Cube's vision, since Last Gasp is a perfectly fine floor. Plus, it does have Bargain reminder text. I love cards like this that allow drafters to turn the cube into their sandbox -- you might find someone assembling a totally unexpected sacrifice-matters Delirium deck between this and Dragon's Rage Channeler, and that's exactly why I play Cube!

I hope this doesn't read as pedantic; I just wanted to be an accomplice to you feeling free to play the cards you like :)
I like when reading the card explains the card, so I have no problem with reminder text, but I also like it when drafters don't have to read all the cards because every other card has a new keyword that only appears once in the cube. Clustering available keywords, even if it's only a bit, helps with making the cube more grokkable. Or at least that's what I tell myself :) I'll still allow one-off mechanics if they really, really excite me or are a perfect fit for the cube, though, no worries!

Reminder text makes thousands of cards cubeable for many more playgroups.

Also, who cares about the text box? I am like the aesthetics nazi when it comes to magic cards, still curating a burning hatred for the postmodern card frame, yet I always had a hard time understanding how people are put off by words in card's textboxes. There are always words there.
Some people are just allergic to italics smh