General [ZNR] Zendikar Rising Spoilers

Reducing non-games does hold a great deal of appeal.

How does double sleeving the cube make these viable for you? I am trying to figure out the connection, but I'm coming up blank.

If the cube is single-sleeved, players have to touch a bare card in order to transform it. If the cube is double sleeved, players would only have to touch the inner-sleeve (provided it's transparent).

It doesn't quite fix the "not knowing the backside" problem, but if only the lands which ETB tapped are used, one could just tell their players that the MDFCs enter tapped when transformed.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh shit! I didn't know the Upwelling ability had been reworded and assumed you still emptied your mana pool at the end of your turn with the dragon. That makes the card quite a bit better than I thought! o_O

Here is the fourth. I am still sticking to the non-Bolt lands so players always know what's on the other side without having to unsleeve just to have a look.

Turntimber.PNG

I'll be pretty butthurt if they make the black one appealing and put me in a tough position.

I feel like they could have utilized more text on the front.

"3 life or ETB tapped
T: Add G"

Not sure what that means because you're a total noob? Fine, check the back. Clears things up for all the middle tiered players.

If the cube is single-sleeved, players have to touch a bare card in order to transform it. If the cube is double sleeved, players would only have to touch the inner-sleeve (provided it's transparent).

It doesn't quite fix the "not knowing the backside" problem, but if only the lands which ETB tapped are used, one could just tell their players that the MDFCs enter tapped when transformed.

Makes sense - thanks. I hadn't even considered flipping them in sleeves. That actually bothers me less than using helper cards. These cards are appealing enough to have me considering some inner sleeve options now. One could also stick with the inexpensive cards and just buy replacement copies to use if they get damaged enough to look bad. Double sleeving isn't a bad concept on its own, though. It's spilled beer insurance.

> Double sleeving isn't a bad concept on its own, though. It's spilled beer insurance.

It also further reduces any thickness differences between proxies and real cards, since the apparent thickness of the cards is mostly plastic at that point.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Makes sense - thanks. I hadn't even considered flipping them in sleeves. That actually bothers me less than using helper cards. These cards are appealing enough to have me considering some inner sleeve options now. One could also stick with the inexpensive cards and just buy replacement copies to use if they get damaged enough to look bad. Double sleeving isn't a bad concept on its own, though. It's spilled beer insurance.

Word of warning, I have a double sleeved cube, and it's not actually that easy to take the card with the inner sleeve around it out of the outer sleeve and flip it. Helper cards are much easier to work with. Like I said, I use proxies that have both sides on the front, and the actual card (also double sleeved) in the basic land box.

Word of warning, I have a double sleeved cube, and it's not actually that easy to take the card with the inner sleeve around it out of the outer sleeve and flip it. Helper cards are much easier to work with. Like I said, I use proxies that have both sides on the front, and the actual card (also double sleeved) in the basic land box.

I was thinking about that, and one solution would be to use side loading inner sleeves for double faced cards. The rest of the cube could still use a more secure type of inner sleeve.

Can someone explain this to me like I’m 5 years old? I have never had issues with transform cards in my double-sleeved cube. What is it I’m missing?

Can someone explain this to me like I’m 5 years old? I have never had issues with transform cards in my double-sleeved cube. What is it I’m missing?

I dunno some people are just bothered by having to pull the card out of the outer sleeve and putting it back again flipped. My group doesn't have any issues with transform cards either, but I can see how it's a bit noob unfriendly.

waywardguidebeast.jpg

Haha what even is this idiot card. It's cool, but isn't it kind of a psuedo turn-2 or turn-3 drop? You can't reasonably open with this, right?

Haha what even is this idiot card. It's cool, but isn't it kind of a psuedo turn-2 or turn-3 drop? You can't reasonably open with this, right?

Yeah, that's a bit of a goofy design. It's presumably in the set as a landfall enabler.

You can cast it T1 and not attack until later turns. It would be speedy in a deck with a lot of 1 and 2 drops. If you had a 2 land hand, you could use the land bounce to still cast a 2 mana and a 1 mana spell starting on turn 3.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Nah, 3 lands is often enough for red based aggro decks, I could easily see this get some play in aggressive decks. Not really a cube card, most likely, though.

Article about how they skipped quests, traps and other Zendikar mechanics and how they chose Modal DFC:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articl...c/zendikar-rising-challenge-part-2-2020-09-07

Man I would have loved to see ‘Titan’ in this set as a nod to the Eldrazi, gone but not forgotten.

The rest of the Pathway lands will be released in Kaldheim which means we’ll get all 10 very soon. Both Zendikar Rising, Kaldheim and Strixhaven: School of Mages will use transform cards (and probably modal transform cards). We can also expect the two Innistrad sets to use transform.

Personally I hope they decided to move both Traps and Quests to the Dungeons and Dragons set next year.

If you ignore the trinket text, Attended Healer seems like a neat addition to Blood Artist style aristocrats decks.

Attended Healer {3}{W}

Creature — Kor Cleric
Whenever you gain life for the first time each turn, create a 1/1 white Cat creature token.
{2}{W}: Another target Cleric gains lifelink until end of turn.
“My cats have taught me more about the sacred than anything in some old ruin.”
2/3

Are both of these too late-game impact for cube?
skyclaverelic.jpg
lithoformenginep.jpg

Strictly better Darksteel Ingot feels bad, but I don't know anyone who played the ingot anyway.
Lithoform Engine just feels like a 4 mana, do nothing, but the value. You get a non-artifact Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice on a stick, Dualcaster Mage on a stick, and a worse, but more splashable Bramble Sovereign on a stick. Are three not exactly amazing sticks enough to make this a great stick?
I feel like I've already convinced myself.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh man... The day had to come..

Strickly better Mirari :(

But I am putting them into my cube anyways. I doubt the lore behind Lithoform Engine can beat the lore behind Mirari but I like the effects.

Not strictly better. Mirari doesn't tap and uses a triggered ability, so it works through certain hate cards like Pithing Needle. But yeah, Lithoform Engine looks pretty sweet... at the very least for casual commander.

skyclaveshadep.jpg

I think this might well be the best non-MDFC card in the set. I mean... Look at it! The body is great, scalable, and recursive. It's everything I want out of a cube card and more. This card would literally only be better if it had the "Zombie" subtype.

Not strictly better. Mirari doesn't tap and uses a triggered ability, so it works through certain hate cards like Pithing Needle. But yeah, Lithoform Engine looks pretty sweet... at the very least for casual commander.

Mirari certainly used a triggered ability.
The proof is the “Whenever you..” wording.

Edit: Oh.. I see.. We agree: Mirari uses a triggered ability and I misunderstood you. Wipsidaisy :p