Sets (RNA) Ravnica Allegiance Spoilers

pitilesspontiff.jpg

Cartel Aristocrat always felt a little bit below the power level I was going for. Paying 1 for the sacrifice effect is annoying, but deathtouch and indestructible is probably better than protection. Maybe?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Actually, I think Gutterbones returning to your hand makes it better than Dread Wanderer. You can discard it repeatedly for value, like a more aggressive Squee, Goblin Nabob.
Yes! That's what I was thinking!

Actually, I think Gutterbones returning to your hand makes it better than Dread Wanderer. You can discard it repeatedly for value, like a more aggressive Squee, Goblin Nabob.
You can make the Aristocrat "unblockable" for those final points of damage, or sack your board with a Blood Artist in play. This does neither, though I guess it'll slowly eat your opponent's defenses with the deathtouch.

pitilesspontiff.jpg

Cartel Aristocrat always felt a little bit below the power level I was going for. Paying 1 for the sacrifice effect is annoying, but deathtouch and indestructible is probably better than protection. Maybe?

I would say so.

Indestructible and protection almost covers the same when it comes to removal. Indestructible might be a bit better. Protection is also pseudo unblockable. The real difference is the deathtouch. Now it can take down Titans and still live.

Are there any Guildmages you guys are particularly looking forward to see spoiled? (We haven’t seen any at this point in time.)

this after a cantrip is probably the winning turn for a Thousand Year Storm

(first free cast can be copied twice, second free cast copied thrice) That's 10 spells for the price of two!

Wow, I just settled on madness aggro for Gruul, dismissing counters aggro and fires, and suddenly they print a new aggressive counter mechanic and a second Fires of Yavimaya ... I feel like wotc is trolling me.

Do I have to go for another dominant Gruul archetype first to get several great discard outlets in the next set?

Wow, I just settled on madness aggro for Gruul, dismissing counters aggro and fires, and suddenly they print a new aggressive counter mechanic and a second Fires of Yavimaya ... I feel like wotc is trolling me.

Do I have to go for another dominant Gruul archetype first to get several great discard outlets in the next set?

I mean, madness is pretty far from what Gruul has done historically, right? Just the fact that Gruul is decidedly aggro is probably good for that archetype, which already has discard outlets aplenty, and most sorely needs playable (and interesting) aggressive 1 and 2 drops in Green.

I mean, I think this dragon we missed could be helpful:
skarrganhellkite.jpg

Seems like it could be helpful for +1/+1 counters support, without being toxic. It also plays well with Mentor (although you will need a larger creature to mentor this, like Light of the Legion or a pumped Goblin Banneret. Not that anyone plays those cards.).

The idea that this is +1/+1 counter support seems a colossal stretch to me. You're going to be working overtime to get a Mentor creature big enough to Mentor this, which is strictly win-more for a 4/4 flier with haste, and if you choose the 5/5 option that grants itself its own counter, you have a card that is entirely self-enabling. It's also a mana-hungry removal engine if we're looking at it that way, which again, doesn't fit with +1/+1 counter decks. This card is generically powerful and provides nothing to any counters deck aside from, arguably, being a terrible source for Ion Storm fodder. It's not getting flying from Abzan Falconer, and the odds that you really need a 5/5 Flying Trampler off of Tuskguard Captain seems rather niche. It doesn't really belong in formats running Ainok Bond-Kin either, although I grant that its ability is pretty cute with Abzan Battle Priest.

Perhaps your +1/+1 counters decks operate very differently from mine, but in my experience, +1/+1 counters, as an archetype, wants little aggro bodies that scale with the game to meet the beefy threats of midrange head-on with cheaper (and more) bodies. Although bringing this card up, I am reminded of Falkenrath Exterminator, who probably plays really well with Mentor.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Hey Chris, they came pretty close to making your custom!
en_Rq6sBdCc6H.png
ZJSPHhD.jpg

I just like the fact that riot is two options and it has two options. It's just like a command attached to a creature!

Probably not spicy enough as a cube card, but I will attempt tribal wurms in standard because of this card. Should be fun.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Raging Silverback is bananas
Should have seen that one coming.

Also, I haven't seen anyone post this card yet:
spawnofmayhem.jpg

Anyone else thinks this is a bit pushed? Just like Doom Whisperer before it, it is just a pile of beefed up stats that didn't need half of these words to be good. Like, why does this need/have trample or the growing effect when on <10 life? Isn't a 3 mana 4/4 flyer that pings them every turn enough?

I mean, I have personal affection for this similarly costed heap o' stats demon:

But it has a fun subgame attached to it. Can I remove my own creature before my opponent kills me?

This card doesn't have that. It is just a card that will beat you to a bloody pulp with 5 points of damage from turn 4 onwards unless you have that removal spell (or a 4 powered flyer I guess).

I agree that it is pushed and feels clumbsy in that regard that it is a Demon with no drawback to you. This one has a drawback to all players, which is semi-okay if you ask me.

Like, why does this need/have trample or the growing effect when on <10 life? Isn't a 3 mana 4/4 flyer that pings them every turn enough?

Well it is only a 3 mana 4/4 flyer if you win the mini game that is to deal damage to your opponent by turn 3. That is the first of two small mini games this Demon has.

The second mini game is to get 10 life so it can grow. Also a quite small and semi-boring mini game but none the less still a mini game.

I'll write it again: I agree with you. I just think this card has a little more to offer than Whisperer since this card actually has some mini games to it.

That Spectacle demon is incredibly pushed. Assuming you have an aggressive deck tailored to consistently play that on T3, which seems easy, it's just a boatload of damage on an incredibly efficient body. Why not at least make it a 4/3 or something? Nice round stats make it kind of difficult to match up with. Even then, why does it need the trample? It's already above rate if you drop it on 3. I guess they were just thinking of the base case of playing it as a 4, but I think it will be trivially easy to play it for its Spectacle cost.