Sets [EMN] Eldritch Moon Spoilers Thread

Textbook A/B mechanic, while drafting, while playing, etc. Headache indeed. And I hate random text that is so specific, and may just serve to confuse people.

That being said, I think the Hanweir pair are both independently playable

Edit: and can we talk about how happy I am they did bring back delirium?? And they have this cool modal spell ability! Two card pairs might not be good fits in cube, but flexible spells definitely are :D

It really bugs me when they introduce a great mechanic in the first block (investigate, converge) and then proceed to not put it in the next set so they can introduce 'new' mechanics like emerge and escalate. It just makes me sad, I miss investigate already. I hope they pick up the delerium in this set, the new dryad looks cool.

Escalate might get there on a sufficiently powerful card though, guess we will have to wait and see.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
1xb1zeidhu5x.png

Garrison doesn't seem halfbad with Alesha :D

I don't that works the way you want :(

I mean there are lots of cards that are just bad in cube due to it being a mostly singleton limited format. Not everything is for us.

I know that. It's just disappointing when the big splashy mechanic of the set isn't for me. I only play limited and my cube these days. I doubt I'll ever see a Brisela in play.

That said, we are still getting madness and delirium, and escalate looks like it has potential too, even though it's just souped up entwine. I'm sure we'll get some cool new toys to play with. I like that dryad a lot.

It really bugs me when they introduce a great mechanic in the first block (investigate, converge) and then proceed to not put it in the next set so they can introduce 'new' mechanics like emerge and escalate. It just makes me sad, I miss investigate already. I hope they pick up the delerium in this set, the new dryad looks cool.

Escalate might get there on a sufficiently powerful card though, guess we will have to wait and see.

It wouldn't make much sense to bring back investigate in this set thematically, because the mystery has been solved. We don't need to look for clues anymore.

Hey, can we ignore the whole merge text on Hanweir Garrison and run it next to Goblin Rabblemaster? Or would drafters be disappointed if the other half isn't in the cube?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I actually like the hanweir combo. Both cards are fine in an aggro or midrangish red deck, but the land is a solid ex map or tolaria west target. You can grab the other half with imperial recruiter or a transmute tutor, or just sift for it.

That payoff seems reasonable given the trouble of assembly, but not oppressive.

The angels seem more like commander or dragon cube combos.

If you squadron the Hanweirs (which I want to try), how will you communicate the information to drafters who probably don't already know what the cards do? I'd like to manage it without a lengthy pre-draft explanation, and I'm open to including a non-card mock of some sort in the pack.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think you just don't run it if you have worries about those complexity issues.

Running them in squadron seems kind of heavy handed: like you're basically handing constructed level consistenacy, or a combo, to certain drafters.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Right, we actually have a legit feeling aggro deck in R/W.

It even has a cool combo as a late game reach plan, that also works with that abby they printed last set

I think Hanweir Garrison is going to become a cube staple. I already like it more than a lot of the {2}{R} creatures i'm running like Taurean Mauler and Sin Prodder.

You don't even need to live the human tribal dream to make him work (that dream has to include Mentor of the Meek in it somewhere, no?). Red can just shoot down your blockers to make way for an attack, or Goblin Heelcutter or Gryff's Boon to get him past blocks.

Battlements seems a little clunky to be in the main list, for me it's probably going to be Garrison but not Battlements.

Since I don't do a ULD, I'm thinking I'll custom the land so that it's good enough to be worth a cube pick on its own. That might just mean adding +1/+0 to the activation, or maybe +2/+0 for an additional mana. Then I also get to name it Hanweir, the Thriving Township.

Hanweir Garrison is fucking insane. It's a red Hero of Bladehold and it poops out humans for Champion of the Parish. Holy shit.
Do you actually think it's too good? At least for some RTL formats, I think.... It does have the same issues as hero of bladehold, but I guess it's slower to grow damage?

ZnNfHWS.png

Not sure if its really playable but I like it.
I like it too. Coming in tapped is a bit of a downer, but mana ramp that turns into a nice late game body is awesome.

Can we talk about how beautiful the regular-style art is for Thalia? :D I usually like promos, but I think this one is just too nice.
thaliahereticcathar.jpg

Do you actually think it's too good? At least for some RTL formats, I think.... It does have the same issues as hero of bladehold, but I guess it's slower to grow damage?

I don't think it's too good for most of our cubes. Like I said before, I think I peg it at right around or just slightly below Goblin Rabblemaster in power level.

I like it too. Coming in tapped is a bit of a downer, but mana ramp that turns into a nice late game body is awesome.

I think it's pretty cool. I don't run DFCs purely for logistical reasons (wear and tear from constant resleeving), but if I did I think I'd give it a shot. It's a pretty cool mirror to Pristine Talisman at the very least.

Can we talk about how beautiful the regular-style art is for Thalia? :D I usually like promos, but I think this one is just too nice.
thaliahereticcathar.jpg
It's real fucking good.

I could see Cryptolith Fragment seeing play in retail limited if you end up with enough that they help turn each other on. I don't see it having any place in cube, because the decks that want to run a 3 mana ETBT mana rock do not want symmetrical life loss and do not get their opponent down to 10 before the game is effectively over. There are probably 10+ mana rocks I'd run first if you're not running signets.

New Thalia is very good, but white 3 drops are already pretty stacked. We really didn't need another generically good white 3.

I like Crypotlith Fragment for my B/W extort and lifedrain archetype. The symmetrical lifeloss hurts less when you have a lot of incidental lifegain and the extra mana can be used to pay for extort triggers.