General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, as I've chatted about with Suicufnoc before, I'm not too keen on running an image hosting database here. But if the images were hosted on one of the many available external services, we could host your webpage and code on this domain.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
If you do need a place to just upload images, Imgur has been waaaaaaaay easier to use, faster and less frustrating (I'm looking at you photobucket 5 god damn clicks to find my recent uploads piece of shit) than anything I've tried before.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Complete non sequitur, but do you start your work day at 9 am? I notice a flurry of posts from you everyday at around that time.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Complete non sequitur, but do you start your work day at 9 am? I notice a flurry of posts from you everyday at around that time.

Thats usually when I've sat down, had my coffee, done the day-start work related stuff.

But yeah, I tend to respond to everything posted since about 4:30ish the previous day at once :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Does anyone have a name for this that doesn't make me cringe?

Police Brutality {1}{W}
Sorcery
~ Deals 3 damage to target creature. Detain that creature (It can't attack or block until the beginning of your next upkeep)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Does anyone have a name for this that doesn't make me cringe?

Police Brutality {1}{W}
Sorcery
~ Deals 3 damage to target creature. Detain that creature (It can't attack or block until the beginning of your next upkeep)

Corporal Punishment

Pretty nonwhite, that direct damage. Maybe damage to tapped creature? Makes it a lot worse of course, but less off color.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Corporal Punishment

Pretty nonwhite, that direct damage. Maybe damage to tapped creature? Makes it a lot worse of course, but less off color.

Well I could have it destroy the creature if its toughness was 3 or less but this just seems cleaner
I don't really mind it saying damage. in 99% of cases murder would be identical if it did 999 damage to the creature

H
Well I could have it destroy the creature if its toughness was 3 or less but this just seems cleaner
I don't really mind it saying damage. in 99% of cases murder would be identical if it did 999 damage to the creature
Hm. Dealing damage and destroying isn't the same thing though, and they come up more often than one could think. Should white spells be able to trigger a boros reckoner? It's a matter of taste but white cards dealing damage doesn't read right to me at all. I think it's better to maybe make it a split card. "Detain target creature. If that creature is tapped, destroy it instead" maybe?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
H
Hm. Dealing damage and destroying isn't the same thing though, and they come up more often than one could think. Should white spells be able to trigger a boros reckoner? It's a matter of taste but white cards dealing damage doesn't read right to me at all. I think it's better to maybe make it a split card. "Detain target creature. If that creature is tapped, destroy it instead" maybe?

I'm gonna stick with damage. There's a single card in my cube for which that distinction matters (Phantom Nomad), and it makes it worse.
I also don't really want it to have anything to do with tapped creatures.

Plus, I think burn is weirder in other colors. Given things like Hail of Arrows I think burn (Albiet creature only) feels way more at home here than in blue or green.

white doesn't deal damage to creatures except in combat or with redirection. if you want to bend the color pie, that's fine, but be aware.

if you're looking for another color to do that, it's black, though with lifegain attached generally.

Ember Bellower - RR2
RR4: Monstrosity 1.
When Ember Bellower becomes monstrous, each player sacrifices 3 lands and Ember Bellower deals 3 damage to each creature.
4/5

Is this an alright wildfire with legs? From the gruul thread, where basically a weak wildfire for 7 mana doesn't really cut it in most cubes. I thought you could make it slightly smaller after monstrousing and less impactful than wildfire itself. I guess it's strong because its sort of a one card combo, but it's also vulnerable to any removal.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Ember Bellower - RR2
RR4: Monstrosity 1.
When Ember Bellower becomes monstrous, each player sacrifices 3 lands and Ember Bellower deals 3 damage to each creature.
4/5

Is this an alright wildfire with legs? From the gruul thread, where basically a weak wildfire for 7 mana doesn't really cut it in most cubes. I thought you could make it slightly smaller after monstrousing and less impactful than wildfire itself. I guess it's strong because its sort of a one card combo, but it's also vulnerable to any removal.

The thing is it's still a control card that requires you to untap with it to be good. Being a huge tempo blowout when they have a kill/bounce spell in response to activating monsterous (Basically the one activated ability that can be countered by killing its source in response) also isn't doing it any favors.

Notice the creature is just some big dumb idiot on it's own.

I think if I really wanted a wildfire creature, I'd want something like this:

{3}{R}{G}
Discard a land card: ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
You may play lands from your graveyard as though they were in your hand.
4/5

But as I stated in the gruul thread, I don't think you need to be that hamhanded, wildfire is a solid card even when only lands survive, and walkers do the same job 5+ toughness creatures do, but are playable elsewhere

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Thats racist!
Also yeah, fuck color restrictions.

Is it so much to ask I get something that isn't an enchantment, partway between journey to nowhere and reprisal? (I tried reprisal, it's so bad)

Corporal Punishment {1}{R/W}
Sorcery
Corporal Punishment deals 3 damage to target creature. Detain that creature.

There! Solved! WotC has been known to allow flavorful, slightly out of color effects when it's paired with a hybrid mana cost. Red get's the "can't block" schtick, so detain isn't that far out. White gets conditional damage to creatures, so direct damage that doesn't go to the dome isn't that far out either. And the card is suddenly playable in more decks because it's hybrid! Compared to the mono-blue lifegain of Augury Adept this card is super on color even! Aw yeah!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Corporal Punishment {1}{R/W}
Sorcery
Corporal Punishment deals 3 damage to target creature. Detain that creature.

There! Solved! WotC has been known to allow flavorful, slightly out of color effects when it's paired with a hybrid mana cost. Red get's the "can't block" schtick, so detain isn't that far out. White gets conditional damage to creatures, so direct damage that doesn't go to the dome isn't that far out either. And the card is suddenly playable in more decks because it's hybrid! Compared to the mono-blue lifegain of Augury Adept this card is super on color even! Aw yeah!

Huh. I can't say I ever thought of doing that.

I'm kinda off important cards like 1 drops or removal spells being hybrid. They're more flexible, but I always find they get sniped by whichever drafter I don't want taking said cards. (Cackler being taken by the black decks, this by red etc)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Huh. I can't say I ever thought of doing that.

I'm kinda off important cards like 1 drops or removal spells being hybrid. They're more flexible, but I always find they get sniped by whichever drafter I don't want taking said cards. (Cackler being taken by the black decks, this by red etc)

I think white will be more interested in this, though I would pick the card up if I was in red, but certainly not in the first few picks. There's so much better to be had in the way of Volcanic Hammer, Incinerate or even Lightning Bolt, depending on your cube.