General Alchemy

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Penny sleeves…are they the see-through inner sleeves that we all use inside our normal sleeves?
No, those are perfect fits. Penny sleeves are very cheap but flimsy see-through outer sleeves. They look like perfect fits, but you can't put a penny sleeve inside a normal sleeve, because they are about the same size.

I think you could do it with a bit of clear, thin plastic — like, just take some cheap penny sleeves, write on them in sharpie, and cut them down to size.
I would personally try overhead film. thin clear plastic that's meant to be written on and is sturdy enough to be slid down the front face of the outer sleeve.

@LadyMapi
@Onderzeeboot
@sigh

I am still looking for a good solution for my Ascension project. What I need is a way to mark each of the cards with a number (Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 and Level 4)

I have been working with the idea of custom sleeves. The perfect fit ones Onde is talking about. However that is overly expensive when I want 2000 copies. The user @VincePendrell is in Denmark with me and have told me of the option and even with the discount he can get, it will be about 5000$.

Another option is to use a sharpie and use my hand writing to mark the cards on the super fit sleeves.

A third option is the one Sigh suggested with overhead film.

Care to give me a few words of thoughts?

Knowing that you're already running a lot of customs, is there a reason you don't just use the rarity system to indicate the tier by proxying rarity-adjusted versions of the retail cards? Sorry if you've already mentioned why this wouldn't work, but it seems intuitive, unobtrusive, and already has four levels.

Knowing that you're already running a lot of customs, is there a reason you don't just use the rarity system to indicate the tier by proxying rarity-adjusted versions of the retail cards? Sorry if you've already mentioned why this wouldn't work, but it seems intuitive, unobtrusive, and already has four levels.

What? :p

I don’t run a lot of customs. I try to create my cube using legal Magic cards. I used to have a custom cube many years ago but I have evolved into liking custom rules a lot more while utilizing real Magic cards. I do run a very small amount of custom cards. I completed the Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth cycle. I would say I run less than 0,5 % custom cards. I also have three custom card gems in the cube.

I am not quite sure I understand the suggestion (Thank you for commenting, by the way!). Is your suggestion that I cut all real cards in my cube and then print proxies of them all; a way to control the rarity of the card?

Edit: I just checked my cube. I now run three Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth custom cards and three custom cards I consider gems. I will post them here: https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/custom-cards-the-lab.403/post-111553

Last edited:
@LadyMapi
@Onderzeeboot
@sigh

I am still looking for a good solution for my Ascension project. What I need is a way to mark each of the cards with a number (Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 and Level 4)

I have been working with the idea of custom sleeves. The perfect fit ones Onde is talking about. However that is overly expensive when I want 2000 copies. The user @VincePendrell is in Denmark with me and have told me of the option and even with the discount he can get, it will be about 5000$.

Another option is to use a sharpie and use my hand writing to mark the cards on the super fit sleeves.

A third option is the one Sigh suggested with overhead film.

Care to give me a few words of thoughts?
It has been stated before but why do you not use double sleeves and put a small piece of paper inside which states the level?
This is used by some to differentiate occasionals if my memory serves me right.

Of course, when one desires the perpetual shizzle it falls apart and then sighs option is better. An alternative option are the blanco token cards. Write on them, sleeve and you are ready to go.

It has been stated before but why do you not use double sleeves and put a small piece of paper inside which states the level?
This is used by some to differentiate occasionals if my memory serves me right.

Of course, when one desires the perpetual shizzle it falls apart and then sighs option is better. An alternative option are the blanco token cards. Write on them, sleeve and you are ready to go.
The paper solution is real. I just don't like it because I think we'll be able to feel the difference. And when you stack 40 cards on top of each other, I also believe the pile will tilt a little bit.

The blanco token option. Does that mean I have to cut the cards in the cube and paint/write all the cards onto empty tokens and use those to play with instead? I might misunderstand.

The paper solution is real. I just don't like it because I think we'll be able to feel the difference. And when you stack 40 cards on top of each other, I also believe the pile will tilt a little bit.

The blanco token option. Does that mean I have to cut the cards in the cube and paint/write all the cards onto empty tokens and use those to play with instead? I might misunderstand.
Yes (this works better with perpetual than a whole cube...). Or what you could do is test whether you could write the level with a pencil on a garbage card. See whether you can erase it without ruining the card...

With the paper option: sleeves are squared while cards have round corners. You could differentiate with different colors the levels and cut them such that the paper fits in a bottom corner without overlap with the card...

I don’t run a lot of customs. I try to create my cube using legal Magic cards. I used to have a custom cube many years ago . . .
My bad! I got distracted by the templating on all the pieces you posted in your thread on The Coliseum. You definitely say that you've cooled on custom cards there.

And yeah, you're exactly right in interpreting what I mean. What I'm suggesting is to import all the cards from your cube into the card editor of your choice and to alter the rarity symbols to match the tier you want them to be at, then have those printed and use those for your cube. Of course, if you already have the cards it probably feels like a waste to do that, even if it's probably about the same amount of work/money as any other solution.

My bad! I got distracted by the templating on all the pieces you posted in your thread on The Coliseum. You definitely say that you've cooled on custom cards there.

And yeah, you're exactly right in interpreting what I mean. What I'm suggesting is to import all the cards from your cube into the card editor of your choice and to alter the rarity symbols to match the tier you want them to be at, then have those printed and use those for your cube. Of course, if you already have the cards it probably feels like a waste to do that, even if it's probably about the same amount of work/money as any other solution.

No, my bad!
I am the one who gets a 0/10 on ‘Ability to show your cube to the forum’

Yeah I own all the cards. So I don’t think I will sell everything and proxy up. But thanks :)

Here is a link to my cube:

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/q0a?view=spoiler

It is not fully updated. It is missing:
1. Most of the lands. Only a few weeks ago I realized I could have all the cards in the cube in one link.
2. Basic Land Box
3. Tokens
4. The 360 cards low-powered starter set
5. All cards in the mail on their way to Denmark

Yes (this works better with perpetual than a whole cube...). Or what you could do is test whether you could write the level with a pencil on a garbage card. See whether you can erase it without ruining the card...

With the paper option: sleeves are squared while cards have round corners. You could differentiate with different colors the levels and cut them such that the paper fits in a bottom corner without overlap with the card...

I did this, half a year ago:

https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/cbs.286/post-105532

Here is a photo of the result for those who do not want to click on the link

1639144405824.png

At first I was overly happy with the result. The tape/sticker was super thin and it looks semi-beautiful to me but also super ugly :p
Later on I have decided I do not like it even though my first instincts were positive.

The process of cutting the sticker and attaching it juuuuuuuust right was almost impossible for that one card. I can't imagine doing it 2000 times. I think it took about 10 minutes because I had to do several attempts before I came to this result. I might get better over time but I don't expect to ever go under 5 minutes/card. And the result is not amazing.

What do you think?

My remaining two options that I still find attractive:
1. Draw on the perfect sleeve with a sharpie. Maybe just a dot and then use different colors for different levels. This options is tier 2.
2. Design and buy custom sleeves. Obviously the best result but super expensive. This option is tier 1.

I did this, half a year ago:

https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/cbs.286/post-105532

Here is a photo of the result for those who do not want to click on the link

View attachment 5841

At first I was overly happy with the result. The tape/sticker was super thin and it looks semi-beautiful to me but also super ugly :p
Later on I have decided I do not like it even though my first instincts were positive.

The process of cutting the sticker and attaching it juuuuuuuust right was almost impossible for that one card. I can't imagine doing it 2000 times. I think it took about 10 minutes because I had to do several attempts before I came to this result. I might get better over time but I don't expect to ever go under 5 minutes/card. And the result is not amazing.

What do you think?

My remaining two options that I still find attractive:
1. Draw on the perfect sleeve with a sharpie. Maybe just a dot and then use different colors for different levels. This options is tier 2.
2. Design and buy custom sleeves. Obviously the best result but super expensive. This option is tier 1.
Dropping 5 grant for sleeves is really painful, at that price points it is probably cheaper to proxy the thing...
Why are there not colored perfect fits? That will solve your problem at once. Or perfect fits with a symbol like some of the outer sleeves have..

Also if you have a mold how to cut it is probably quite quick. If it is a hassle you could make a cutterstamp for your form for a lot less than 5 grant.

Bottom line, 5 grant is a lot...

If you take this route, make sure you use different symbols as well. Only using different colors is potentially problematic for color blind people.
and even just in general, if the glare from a light is wrong or something it can totally wash out, but a triangle is still probably recognizable from a circle, etc.

Dropping 5 grant for sleeves is really painful, at that price points it is probably cheaper to proxy the thing...
Why are there not colored perfect fits? That will solve your problem at once. Or perfect fits with a symbol like some of the outer sleeves have..

Also if you have a mold how to cut it is probably quite quick. If it is a hassle you could make a cutterstamp for your form for a lot less than 5 grant.

Bottom line, 5 grant is a lot...
I have also wondered why there aren't colored perfect fits or perfect fits with a symbol on the front side like you asked.

Or normal sleeves with colored front instead of only colored back.

@Onderzeeboot
@sigh
Good points! Will do!

I’m going to up this thread

I have been thinking about the following cards. None of them have the super interesting spellbook but I have decided against the spellbook cards because they seem like they are a logistical trouble:

I find this card super interesting if you have a Human theme in your cube. I currently do not but now I almost wish I did :p Art is clearly Zendikar and it even has a Warrior subtype for party mechanic.

Build your own squadron of Squadron Hawks except the up front cost is higher and varies how many it gives you. And the down payment is cheaper. A cool way to try a squadron without actually including several cards in your cube to draft individually or to use a custom card that gives more than one copy when picking the card up. You will need at least 7 (or 8 with More or Less) copies of Suntail Hawk.

Dangerous for the game, complex board states with memory issues. I bet the players will sit on the edge of the seat when this guy is cast. I want to try it out for a few games at least.

What a beautiful card. It doesn’t have to be an Alchemy card. But it creates a token that is an existing Magic card which is super rare on normal cards. I can’t not run this.

Just like Suntail Squadron it requires quite many cards cards lying around. I want to see how good or bad it feels to draw several Lightning Bolts in a row. At the end of the game, the players will have to remember the to find the missing Bolts.

A Shock with a delayed card draw for an additional {1}. It has a deck building requirement in that you want at least a decent amount of instants/sorceries and for that I really like it. It has memory issues but none that can’t be solved.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
4982f15f-2191-4cff-96c6-e42ce6fbc54f.jpg

Just like Suntail Squadron it requires quite many cards cards lying around. I want to see how good or bad it feels to draw several Lightning Bolts in a row. At the end of the game, the players will have to remember the to find the missing Bolts.
I highly recommend you not run actual bolt if you're playing this for ease of use

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Or at least run it in a unique version like the textless promo stuff or beta to distinguish it very easily to the others
The easy way would be to use a sticker on the inner sleeve of some regular Lightning Bolts and save, you know, somewhere from €100 to upwards of €4000 :')

Alternatively, there's the Strixhaven art series Lightning Bolt which, while not spelling out what the card does whatsoever (it's the art series after all), does feature pretty recognizable and iconic artwork. If you deem Lightning Bolt iconic and well-known enough that you think you can get away with a completely textless variant, those are super cheap and very pretty. If need be, they're probably even a good basis for some custom alters to add the name, mana cost, and card type.

The easy way would be to use a sticker on the inner sleeve of some regular Lightning Bolts and save, you know, somewhere from €100 to upwards of €4000 :')

Alternatively, there's the Strixhaven art series Lightning Bolt which, while not spelling out what the card does whatsoever (it's the art series after all), does feature pretty recognizable and iconic artwork. If you deem Lightning Bolt iconic and well-known enough that you think you can get away with a completely textless variant, those are super cheap and very pretty. If need be, they're probably even a good basis for some custom alters to add the name, mana cost, and card type.
First I laughed, then I cried, then I had a revelation! :D

I think I'll buy your idea. I can't imagine it not being the coolest way to do it.

nMrW9S9.png
JNx2dzX.png

I don't know how to feel about Alchemy-exclusive versions of existing cards. On one hand, I kind of want to use them. Esika's Chariot is a massive stat-monster that is probably too egregious for my format, but I really like the artifact/etb/token crossover synergy it has, and the nerfed versions is a lot more reasonable of a design to include. Who doesn't want to populate embalmed hydras and dragons. I also like the new Cobbled Lancer that is a lot more appealing of a card to get into your graveyard with discard effects etc, instead of mostly just being a strange blue Wild Nacatl that's dies into a really expensive cantrip.

On the other hand, I'm trying to abstain from using custom cards in my cube, and I feel like these are even worse in some respects. If you try and translate your knowledge of the cards from paper Magic then you will be prone to make the wrong assumptions (I slapped on the blueprint frame to indicate that they're different, but you might need something that stands out more), and if you play on Arena, they might get buffed/nerfed in the future, which would mean the cards are inconsistent with both the past and future edition of the card. And if I am at that point, why not just design the perfect card myself instead of rely on wotc, part of the reason I am holding myself to existing cards is so players can translate existing knowledge. But it's mostly just so I don't get tempted to overhaul the whole thing into something that is wholly alien to even enfranchised magic players, and as a personal challenge. Breaking singleton already gives an uncomfortable degree of freedom to the design process.

The new A-Stitched Assistant is also on my mind, but not to the same extent.