Sets Amonkhet (AKH) Spoilers

Not a fan of Hazoret. There's just not a lot of interesting deckbuilding or synergies to exploit with other cards in my cube. I guess maybe fling Squee forever, but that's kind of lame and mana intensive. I'm not really interested in a Mono-Red curvetopper who only really shines in Rx balls to the walls aggro when we've had Hellrider and Hero of Oxid Ridge for years, and I don't really have any Madness/Discard themes or the rocks for Wildfire strategies. Hellbent is a mostly shit mechanic and I'm not all that excited of a variant being the condition here to get a 5/4 Indestructible who can be chumped to oblivion.

At that point, I'm running low on gas in hand so the blowout potential is huge and being able to deal with a stabilized opponent is tough. When it works, it'll be great applying pressure as a 5/4 Indestructible, but I imagine that it'll be middling most of the time. Not as universally playable a 4 like Flametongue Kavu or Pia and Kiran Nalaar.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Its fine, just a bit too low powered for a lot of folks.

Its just a reach engine, first and foremost, and than there are some neat synergies it works with.

I don't think it's low powered. Card will be a wrecking ball in any deck that is aggressive. The trigger should be stupid easy to achieve. And very few things can block it and live, so while it can be chumped that's really only a dig on expensive creature cards. This costs 4 and is splashable too.

I personally don't like indestructible things. So most likely a pass for me. But the discard outlet is nice and red needs more of those IMO.

I don't think it's low powered. Card will be a wrecking ball in any deck that is aggressive. The trigger should be stupid easy to achieve. And very few things can block it and live, so while it can be chumped that's really only a dig on expensive creature cards. This costs 4 and is splashable too.

I personally don't like indestructible things. So most likely a pass for me. But the discard outlet is nice and red needs more of those IMO.

Yeah if it tests well it could be a replacement for Hellrider/Hero of Oxid Ridge, which seems insane to say but that's because it seems super strong and definitely not low powered. It's definitely a reach engine, as in it's going to reach your face for 5 in the aggressive deck.

how do we all feel about Purphoros nowadays?

If you're in the market for a stronger, one-sided, and even less interactive form of Sulfuric Vortex that encourages your creature-oriented decks to be even more creature-oriented, then I guess he's great. I know aggro decks love their Hellrider-style solitaire games, and this one can even trick your aggro player into thinking he's a Johnny. ("Look Mom, I made a combo!") Personally, though, if I want a simple, creature-based reach plan, Goblin Bombardment is (just slightly above) my threshold for that effect; at least it creates a decision point that your opponent can try to operate around.

CML

Contributor

Chris Taylor

Contributor
destinedlead.jpg

Mythicspoiler Comments said:
I just like that this implies the way to read the names of these cards is X to Y, as in "Destined to Lead" and "Dusk to Dawn", as opposed to the former "Fire and Ice" or "Ready and Willing"
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

how do we all feel about Purphoros nowadays?

I still love it, it's been a fun card that people like playing with. Being able to "combo off" is something my drafters like to draft with creatures that make multiple bodies and having to navigate around it as the opponent is a nice little subgame. There are many more creatures that make bodies in red than before so there is a nice little RW Tokens shell to be built with the likes of Pia Nalaar, Thopter Engineer, Secure the Wastes, Hangarback Walker, and any other ways to create multiple bodies. Tutorable with Enlightened Tutor, the multi-pump ability is a fine way to push through later damage and force blocks with evasive 1/1 Thopter tokens, and a 4 mana card that requires you to curve out with multiple bodies afterwards is just fine powerwise. I've had games where I've sandbagged 3s and other creatures to deploy later once I've played out Purphoros to get maximum value. I also don't really have anyway to play it out earlier where it would be obnoxious like Sulfuric Vortex games end up being. With 4-5 usually being the big turns in a format like a cube, a relative do-nothing upon deployment like Purphoros has been just fine.

It's a card that can center itself as the payoff for a particular color combination (RW) that doesn't really have a whole lot going for it or just ends up being a fun build-around for some players. I like building synergistic archetypes most of the time for deep dive payoffs, but sometimes you just need cards with raw power that can easily be identified at a glance during a draft.

C8ilJWlWsAAdslg.png

I'm probably overvaluing embalm, but I can see packing a lot of these creatures into my new, lower-powered list. This is definitely not the strongest thing in the world - and probably shouldn't make the final cut - but it's so darn cute, and multiple bodies can be valuable in so many ways. I'm pretty intrigued!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
C8ilJWlWsAAdslg.png

I'm probably overvaluing embalm, but I can see packing a lot of these creatures into my new, lower-powered list. This is definitely not the strongest thing in the world - and probably shouldn't make the final cut - but it's so darn cute, and multiple bodies can be valuable in so many ways. I'm pretty intrigued!

Once we get a base body that's (almost) good enough on its own I'm definitely game. I do like that this gives white a decent graveyard-centric mechanic.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
C8ilJWlWsAAdslg.png

I mean it's probably pretty similar to doomed travaller who's good sometimes. Flying's probably a big part of that though

I mean it's probably pretty similar to doomed travaller who's good sometimes. Flying's probably a big part of that though

Flying and not costing any mana to get the second half, and getting it instantly. Honestly Sacred Cat looks like garbage to me, a 1/1 lifelink is just nothing on so many boards, even if you get another one straight after.

But it's a life linking zombie cat! They really should have done something with the 9 lives thing though. Like you can enbalm it 9 times or has 9 regeneration tokens when not a zombie. I don't know. Card probably sucks but I like it anyway I guess because I'm a cat person.