Sets Amonkhet (AKH) Spoilers

What is old is new again
P6QOfZp.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
-If my T%n|AVENMCNDCENSOR| is bounced with reflector mage, can I cast an Aven Mindcensor right afterwords?
-Oh my god imagine trying to OCR these. Fuck you blind players :p
-There's no glance value, no color in the mana cost
-It's all center aligned which is harder to read and makes it harder to separate paragraphs
-Also vertical power toughness

I'd like these a lot more if the fonts weren't so hideous and the mana symbols were the correct color. I could suffer even the P/T stacking and unnecessary centering; just give me a readable font! This looks like something they downloaded for free for their 6th grade report on mummies. Ah, well; I do appreciate the effort to experiment, at least.

CML

Contributor
I like these for the same reason I like Patrick Rothfuss, viz. if someone says that they like them I can safely write them off as a human

Laz

Developer
I think they are cool, and some of the art is really good (Daze! Wrath of God!). That said, they are terrible as Magic cards. Almost impossible to read, bizarre flat looking/heavily shadowed borders, difficult to parse mana costs, they truly look like cards from a non-magic board-game, unlike the Kaladesh and BFZ ones, which looked like fancy special Magic cards.

I kind of like them. That said, when I saw the Aven Mindcensor I didn't realise the name and type line were in English.

-If my T%n|AVENMCNDCENSOR| is bounced with reflector mage, can I cast an Aven Mindcensor right afterwords?
-Oh my god imagine trying to OCR these. Fuck you blind players :p
-There's no glance value, no color in the mana cost
-It's all center aligned which is harder to read and makes it harder to separate paragraphs
-Also vertical power toughness

It's truly Egyptian. Flavor home run. You're almost deciphering the name.

The circle around the mana cost was used for Egyptians numbers.
The power above toughness if because numbers was written vertical.
The lack of colors in mana cost is in line with the glyphs written at the time.
Same goes for CAPS LOCK text.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's truly Egyptian. Flavor home run. You're almost deciphering the name.

The circle around the mana cost was used for Egyptians numbers.
The power above toughness if because numbers was written vertical.
The lack of colors in mana cost is in line with the glyphs written at the time.
Same goes for CAPS LOCK text.

All of this is what I think is amazing about this design. Of course it doesn't make the card any more readable :)

Maybe I should have been more clear on that :)
Egyptian hieroglyphs are not suppose to be easy to read. It should be somewhat of a small challenge.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Miasmatic Mummy.png

Miasmatic Mummy {1}{B}
Creature - Zombie Jackal
When Miasmatic Mummy enters the battlefield, each player discards a card.
2/2

That's actually a pretty decent enabler in cube. The stats are right, it helps reanimator plans / graveyard shenanigans, it hinders the opponent, and it's a good creature type. Pretty neat for a common!

Is that better than Rotting Rats? Clearly better body, but not so much better to make it clearly and obviously an improvement.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is that better than Rotting Rats? Clearly better body, but not so much better to make it clearly and obviously an improvement.

2/2 is so, so much more relevant than 1/1, though I'll concede that the unearth ability is nice. Still though, a 1/1 is so useless in combat.

I think I like this zombie better. The Unearth is nice on the rat, but it's a pretty incidental effect, and won't contribute a useful amount of damage. The sericeable body and the cleaner rules text wins it for me.

OH MAN!

so far I am super excited for this set... the Archfiend of Ifnir will be amazing...

it supports discard/madness as well as making -1/-1 counters a thing which makes proliferate better... my friends have been clamoring for ways to work the -1/-1 aspect as opposed to only having +1/+1 counters readily available... and it is a 5/4 and not some ungodly 6/6 type creature which I would probably automatically exclude from my lower power cube.

SWEET!!!

CML

Contributor
the best things about the new masterpieces are the mild orientalism and the impossibility of recognizing them on coverage

"If I come into the world again I want to come with your colour," Bobby tells a Zulu man who he tries to proposition. The Zulu spits in his face, and it is as if, symbolically, Bobby has sought to be humiliated in this way.

Aygirlay didja see my fanfic on Alesha and wanna play some Magical cards

I was thinking like a three musketeers thing. Taking on a bunch of guys. Still feels like a duelist.

I'm more disturbed by the demon that has no drawback. Just upside. That should have been some other creature type.