General [ZNR] Zendikar Rising Spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I've gotta cross-shitpost from reddit here:
You:
Felidar-Retreat-ZNR-265.webp

The guy she tells you not to worry about:
Felidar-Retreat-PZNR-265.webp

Honestly though landfall AFTER 4 cmc is a big ask. I'm running Ajani Goldmane right now and I'm reasonably happy with it, even with fetchlands I'm not sure I'm including this

Shatterskull%2BCharger%2B%255BZNR%255D.jpg

I like the idea of curving a graft creature into this dude, or another card I'm excited about:
Luminarch-Aspirant-ZNR-265.webp

Also just honestly having the mode of Viashino Sandstalker/Skizzik is not a bad backup

As an X/X for X, that GU guy probably doesn't need a ridiculous amount of kicker to be relevant in mid power cubes. You can really easily add kicker cards to your environment because they're legitimately useful anyways and the payoff is significant. GU ramp is totally a viable deck and I've never liked that other XGU card because it's excessively pushed. A certain jellyfish whose name we shan't say.

More like:
You:

The guy she tells you not to worry about:
Felidar-Retreat-PZNR-265.webp

kazandumammothp.jpg
kazanduvalleyp.jpg

Wanted to share this with my Mammoth friend from earlier, the showcase art is a 10/10. Possibly my favorite art in the set (although I loooooove regular Jace as well.)

I'm going to have to pick this art up if it's not too bloody expensive. I am afraid this sees constructed play and costs $10,000 to get a hold of, though.

myriadconstructp.jpg

Colorless 4/4 for 4 or lot/lot for 7. Solid way to up the artifact count if a 4/4 for 4 cuts it in your environment. Also a pretty cool art, conceptually.

I don’t find it interesting at all. It gives players more shuffle time for no real in-game reason.

However it is like Field of Ruin in that sense but can’t be played as a land. I prefer FoR.

Field of Ruin is a better choice in my opinion also. Similar effect but tucked away in your manabase without taking a red spell slot away.

Pretty interesting set, didn't see anything too egregiously busted yet as far as cube goes which is good. Seems like they've toned down power level a bit. That said, there are so many cards in this set that just feel bloated. A lot of these cards just don't read very pretty. For every cleanly designed Luminarch Aspirant there are like a half dozen cards trying to do a whole lot at once.

I've only got a handful of inclusions this time around but that's probably for the best. So difficult to get a read on how good certain cards are when I probably won't have a chance to even test this out till sometime next year at the earliest. Hell, I haven't been able to try out any Ikoria cards aside from remote sessions of EDH.

All I wanted fromnthis set was a single useful landfall card thats either {U} or {G/U} ... and all I got is a totally useless common and a almost functional reprint. Like, it's the set's showcase mechanic and there are colors which get nothibg more than TWO cards? I'm gonna cry a bit now and order my Adventuring Gear :(

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
All I wanted fromnthis set was a single useful landfall card thats either {U} or {G/U} ... and all I got is a totally useless common and a almost functional reprint. Like, it's the set's showcase mechanic and there are colors which get nothibg more than TWO cards? I'm gonna cry a bit now and order my Adventuring Gear :(

You got a great {G} landfall creature though! That Mammoth is huge!

Landfall was almost non-existing in blue already. In that regard we could expect it to still not really be blue. In any future landfall set we can expect there to be not much interesting blue landfall.

Such it goes with abilities and colors of Magic. White doesn’t have a lot of madness, black doesn’t have a lot of first strike etc.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

This girl disagrees. Also blue has by far the most and strongest land bounce abilities.

I don't think Velrun is saying blue is a bad support color for landfall strategies, but it's a fact that blue has the fewest landfall cards of all colors, together with black, and it's not close with either red or green. Black and blue have 13, white 15, red 21, and green 24! And that's not counting all the green pseudo-landfall cards that just happened to not be in the right block to get the keyword, like Courser of Kruphix and Tireless Tracker. There are a few multicolor landfall cards as well, 4 of the 6 are {R/G}, one is {B/G}, and one is every color but black (hi there Omnath!). Three-color Omnath and Tatyova join the pseudo-landfall club, but the picture painted is clear. WotC thinks landfall is primarily a {R/G} ability.

I don't think Velrun is saying blue is a bad support color for landfall strategies, but it's a fact that blue has the fewest landfall cards of all colors, together with black, and it's not close with either red or green. Black and blue have 13, white 15, red 21, and green 24! And that's not counting all the green pseudo-landfall cards that just happened to not be in the right block to get the keyword, like Courser of Kruphix and Tireless Tracker. There are a few multicolor landfall cards as well, 4 of the 6 are {R/G}, one is {B/G}, and one is every color but black (hi there Omnath!). Three-color Omnath and Tatyova join the pseudo-landfall club, but the picture painted is clear. WotC thinks landfall is primarily a {R/G} ability.

Well, but these numbers are only correct if you count the recent zendikar 3 set, which is the reason for my disappointment in the first place. In the first two zendikar blocks {U} got 11 landfall cards, which is more than {W} with 9 and not so much less than the nominable number two {R} (14).

I've had hopes since they announced z3ndikar, which was shortly after I added Tatyova and went with landfall as my {G/U} theme. Kinda disappointed that they now made this temur feeling mechanic more naya and that blue and black didn't even get the vertical cycle of c/u/r like last time.

Edit: The recent printings of Omnath, Locus of the Roil and just this year Song of Creation further gave me the impression that blue was at least number 3 in landfall. Not fricking white.