Sets BNG Spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Initial Impressions:
-Tribute seems sketch. I'm unoptimistic. Every one I've seen so far is just "Yeah have your counters"
-Bestow is back! Maybe we'll have cheaper ones. Maybe they'll do the awesome maniacal rage guy I made!
-Inspired seems interesting. Is it just there to get us to attack, or will there be some variant on the untap symbol here?
-Multicolor Devotion seems cool. Hopefully better controlled than it's mono color counterpart (I'm looking at you gary)
-This card exists and is awesome:
attachment.php

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I might be alone here, but as a huge (and only?) fan of the punisher mechanic, I'm reallllllly excited about the tribute mechanic. The {4}{R} common they showed as a sample has me salivating. I like that the choice offered is less all-or-nothing than with previous incarnations of this mechanic, as in, you still get a body either way. Just think what they might do at uncommon or rare!

Even though I'm sure that Pain Seer is nowhere near the level of Bob, I'm still excited enough by it that I'll probably give it a test run.

edit: I'm totally preemptively card tagging, too. Those tooltips will fix themselves in a month!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I might be alone here, but as a huge (and only?) fan of the punisher mechanic, I'm reallllllly excited about the tribute mechanic. The {4}{R} common they showed as a sample has me salivating. I like that the choice offered is less all-or-nothing than with previous incarnations of this mechanic, as in, you still get a body either way. Just think what they might do at uncommon or rare!

Even though I'm sure that Pain Seer is nowhere near the level of Bob, I'm still excited enough by it that I'll probably give it a test run.

I have to ask though: How fucked do you have to be to take 5 from that thing? You have to be under the impression you wont have an answer for a single creature of 5/5 size for 3 full turns, or have a board of exactly 4 toughness guys and a comfortable life total.

When are you going to be able to deal with 6/6 + terminate but not 12/12?

What will the other archetypes be?

Blue - Flying
Red - Haste?
Whitie - First strike?
Green - Trample? Flash?
Black - Deathtouch? Lifelink? Take 1 damage on upkeep?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I have to ask though: How fucked do you have to be to take 5 from that thing? You have to be under the impression you wont have an answer for a single creature of 5/5 size for 3 full turns, or have a board of exactly 4 toughness guys and a comfortable life total.

When are you going to be able to deal with 6/6 + terminate but not 12/12?

I imagine that, like Unleash, the mechanic plays better than it reads.

Well that belies you doing anything else. If you can give the dude flying, or fling him, or there's any tricks against your 4 toughness dudes, you're probably in for a bad time. It's less clear cut than "4 damage or 4/3" when it's 'lava axe with free 3/3 or on-curve 5/5'

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Kiora's Follower is pretty good. WCS scenario is a bear that taps for 1 colored mana, but it can untap Rofellos, Treespeaker or Cradle for great acceleration. If you're in a grim monolith cube it opens up some really silly interactions. There are a few artifacts, lands and creatures around that you can double dip on activated abilities as well to decent effect. It can also give a creature fake vigilance. If a good inspire comes along, it could help with that too.

Pretty solid for 2

I feel like tribute is gonna teach new players lots of lessons and make popular talking points for the ones that older players have had vague feelings about.

CML

Contributor
Mogis doesn't look great, though maybe I'm underestimating his static's ability to just grind games as a kind of Vortex / Abyss. The gods are even supposed to be pretty bad when turned off, after all ...

Dom Harvey

Contributor
It's clearly a sweet card, but suffers from the same problems as any other card like that i.e. if you took a Cube designed to support him and rigged your Sealed pool, he still wouldn't be reliably good.

I think this phoenix would be a 'good rare' but is hardly a mythic. It does ok in stupid-early standard testing but I don't think it warrants a glorious 4-drop slot in cube.
Flame-Wreathed Phoenix {2}{R}{R}
Flying
Tribute 2
If tribute wasn't paid it gains haste and "when this creature dies return it to its owner's hand"

There's also a card to translate:
Fanatic of Xenagos {1}{R}{G}
Trample
Tribute 1
If tribute wasn't paid it gets +1/+1 and haste until EoT

I don't hate it; you get a ghor-clan rampager one way or the other, even if temporarily, for {1} less, but is it worth it to lose bloodrush? No IMO. I'd probably still play it over scab-clan mauler if you were going that deep.