General CBS

CML

Contributor
violoncello

yeah i'll probably be in seattle if not in ljub or somewhere. i hear eastern europe is where it's at these days.

38.jpg

flavortext

have yall experimented with non-standard pack sizes? im working on a loam cube and im not yet a fan of the utility land draft (though i may be forced to become one), and i was thinking of running 16 or 17 card packs to make up for all the extra lands

Chris Taylor

Contributor
While not the same thing, my 4 man drafts are usually 9 card packs.

I think the utility land draft fits your theme better though.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
So James is coming to draft my cube on Monday. It'll be a medium difficulty crew showing up, headlined by our new Pro Tour player and limited master. Only two of the players have not ever 3 - 0'd the cube, and one of them is known for going 3 - 0 with 50 card control decks that I refuse to mention in my ChannelFireball articles. Another is the 3 - 0 UR Delver drafter who has no confidence in his own play but will randomly "oops I win" his way in, even though he's actually a pretty decent player.

One looks like Huntmaster of the Fells (you'll know) and somehow is far worse at cube than any of the other formats he plays, and one of them is "1 - 2 Hannes". Hannes did go 2 - 1 once, but I'm pretty sure that was just an accounting error.

Lastly, one of our old regulars will be back in town for the first time in a year. He drafts Shardless Bant without fail. "Shardless Agent, cascade, Stoneforge Mystic, grabbing Batterskull. Next turn ignore Batterskull and jam JTMS."

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Well it looks like the mtgo cube is back up, or will be soon. We should all draft it at some point, then we can complain about it. And both will be fun.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Every time I feel like drafting the MTGO cube I first just load up an MTGO cube draft video and after five minutes (high end) I've noped the fuck out of there.

What are some zany things you can do with progenitor mimic I can add to my Big List of Stupid Goals

I'm formally adding activating Obelisk of Alara twice via Ral to my list.
I think at some time I want to tinker for staff of nin too.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Eh, not so much. Phasing works that they get it back on their turn, so even if the enchantment phased out every damn permanent they own it still isn't actually killing anything (Other than tokens)

It doesn't seem that great since if you don't want their biggest guys blocking, you need to have less creatures then they do. Usually when you're losing the size race, you're usually winning the numbers race, or you're just losing horribly.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I wonder if the way to make power cubes better is to add more power.

Utility Power Draft? :p

No seriously, that actually does solve the problem of people opening sol ring and recall and just steamrolling everyone who didn't

Edit: The more I think about this the more brilliant it seems...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Utility Power Draft? :p

No seriously, that actually does solve the problem of people opening sol ring and recall and just steamrolling everyone who didn't

Edit: The more I think about this the more brilliant it seems...

Yeah, I'm thinking like, three full sets of Moxen. Make it super Vintagey and interactive. I think there's potential.