General CBS

My friends are playing some indie game tonight that snubbed Penny Arcade Con because at some point that community did some thing that fostered anti feminist thing. I can't remember what it is called though. Going home? I dunno. I always wonder about these inner-net groups. I've always known gamers online are just about as bad as the people who's righteous fury turns them into an avalanche in the comments of any bad review of The Dark Knight Rises but I guess there is also this competitive tilt-y blunt to a fault / speak your mind as sassy as possible aspect of it that really doesn't get along with the privilege and a real lack of perspective.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
My friends are playing some indie game tonight that snubbed Penny Arcade Con because at some point that community did some thing that fostered anti feminist thing. I can't remember what it is called though. Going home? I dunno. I always wonder about these inner-net groups. I've always known gamers online are just about as bad as the people who's righteous fury turns them into an avalanche in the comments of any bad review of The Dark Knight Rises but I guess there is also this competitive tilt-y blunt to a fault / speak your mind as sassy as possible aspect of it that really doesn't get along with the privilege and a real lack of perspective.

Are you perhaps referring to the Dickwolves saga?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
James made me tokens based on this lovely piece:
uQFmH6m.png

IVLRsV6.png

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Thoughts on the scry lands? I'm considering including even the colour pairs that hate CIPT lands the most (notably W/R) since unlike most fixing they can be played for non-fixing purposes and it's a very precious effect for red and white in particular.

When are rituals usable or interesting in cube? I have no experience with this.

Thoughts on the scry lands? I'm considering including even the colour pairs that hate CIPT lands the most (notably W/R) since unlike most fixing they can be played for non-fixing purposes and it's a very precious effect for red and white in particular.
they are great and fun to me but they are boring to a lot of people. ive always liked halimar depths and these just play way more fun. the decision is easier because its a simple yes or no (dont want to bog up the game with players during their land drops) and its also less feel-bad when you know you are locked into bad draws for 3 turns without a shuffle

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Owen's winning deck from standard a bit ago was entirely mono black, the only blue mana symbols in the deck were nightveil specter.
Still ran 3 temple of deceit though.

Those of you who run flip cards: do you use opaque backed card sleeves? How much of an affect does clear sleeves have on flip cards?

I use proxies that have both of the cards printed on the front, so people don't have to take them out and look what the backside does.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I use proxies that have both of the cards printed on the front, so people don't have to take them out and look what the backside does.
Me too! Then I have the flips cards in clear sleeves so you can use them while they're in play.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I just slip another card behind the flip card so that it has a Magic back. Slightly thicker but I never really notice.

When are rituals usable or interesting in cube? I have no experience with this.
I view them as a risk/reward, allowing people to trade a card for a temporary two-turn mana advantage. The only one I run has is dark ritual and that gets people anywhere from turn 1 hypno to turn 3 Sorin Markov (after a 2-mana ramp or dork). It's still the most requested drop in my cube, but sees a lot more play than cards people have no comments on.

I've played with the scrylands, proxying the last five, for a while now and the general consensus among my players is "I hate taplands." The scry is fine but ruining your curve sucks. I'm not keeping them.

And I've just flat cut all the flip cards from my cube. None of them doing anything interesting enough to warrant forcing them, and they're a general hassle to deal with, one way or the other. I play with a lot of inexperienced players who don't recognize the cards as well; it was in their interest that I axed the remaining few (test subject, huntmaster, delver).

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, I personally can't understand why any non-control cube deck would ever want a tapland, unless it gets up and attacks, or comes with free spells. A Cruel control deck would appreciate the filtering, but would a three-colour Zoo deck with low drops across all its colours want two taplands on top of its already shaky manabase?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
And I've just flat cut all the flip cards from my cube. None of them doing anything interesting enough to warrant forcing them, and they're a general hassle to deal with, one way or the other. I play with a lot of inexperienced players who don't recognize the cards as well; it was in their interest that I axed the remaining few (test subject, huntmaster, delver).

Yeah, this seems like solid reasoning, but it's a bit of a shame, as I love these three cards in particular. :) Frustrating inexperienced players definitely seems like the worse of two evils.