General CBS

About choosing avatars, I meant how you guys arrived at the decision to use a self-portrait/Sentinel/Vengevine/Tel-Jilad Chosen/Commodore Something-or-other the Gifted. I guess I'll use Tao 'til I think of something better.

Did I do something to earn the "DJ Blanton" nickname or was it just some random comment from Lucas?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Alright, I gotta admit, I'm loving that a few people have picked non-default avatars in the last day or two. I usually just eyeball the avatar to see who posted, so it gets really confusing when lots of people with the default pic post in a row.

And yes, when something like that happens, just assume it's Lucas. You'll more often than not be in the right.

About choosing avatars

When I was 14ish I made my first "real" internet-related account in the form of a steam account. I really liked half life so I set my icon to the orange-on-black lambda used as the game's icon. I just try to use the same pic/name wherever they're required as some form of internet integrity or something.

Does this thing die if it reaches 0 loyalty???

That's far from the biggest problem with this card.

119.3c. Damage dealt to a planeswalker causes that many loyalty counters to be removed from that
planeswalker.

306.8. Damage dealt to a planeswalker results in that many loyalty counters being removed from it.

Loyalty isn't an arbitrary number, it's literally counters. You can't remove more counters than it has, therefore it can never actually go negative, it can only go to zero.
It bugs me when people decide that they're going to make custom cards, decide to do something that has OMG NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE and don't bother checking to see if their card even *works*.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
That's far from the biggest problem with this card.

Loyalty isn't an arbitrary number, it's literally counters. You can't remove more counters than it has, therefore it can never actually go negative, it can only go to zero.
It bugs me when people decide that they're going to make custom cards, decide to do something that has OMG NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE and don't bother checking to see if their card even *works*.

To be fair if Wizards wants a card to work they just rewrite the rules (ala True-Name Nemesis)

To be fair if Wizards wants a card to work they just rewrite the rules (ala True-Name Nemesis)

They could, but it'd be a pretty massive change. TNN defined a term that had no technical meaning yet (protection from a player). Making Planeswalker loyalty be just a number would kill interactions with Proliferate, Doubling Season, Vampire Hexmage, etc. Making some sort of bizarro negative loyalty counter spontaneously appear would be ... clunky.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
They still come into play with double the loyalty, which still means instant ults for a lot of them, but probably not worth building around a 6 mana enchantment in modern.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Doubling Season (5 mana) + Jace, Architect of Thought is an instant kill in Modern, and DS + Garruk, Primal Hunter may as well be.

VibeBox

Contributor
we called sorin a "windicate"
it was called dr. katz for 3 drop ajani
even chandra was good in that deck
i wish it was good, it worked in the oddest ways : -(

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Same. I'm a big fan both of his writing style and his content.

It doesn't hurt that he's written some of the best flavour text ever, too. They really need to let him loose on that front once in a while. Man can write.